Whales in the surf

Rip Tide

Reaction score
... and me actually catching a fish !
I'd like to say that you don't see whales feeding in the surf everyday, but in this case we did

dharkin

Reaction score
several Minke whales have been spotted on the south shore(Scituate to Plymouth) very close to shore. Very cool.

ejsell

Reaction score
That would be pretty cool. I fished with dolphins in the distance and had a big sea turtle pop up next to me once but whales would top the list.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've not seen them in the surf but almost every time I've been aboard a blue water ship or boat I have.

At times I was able to get a picture.

I have body shots but they are never as iconic as the tail as they slip beneath the waves. Back in the early 1980's I took a small boat whale watch trip in a 32 foot boat off Nova Scotia but we saw no whales, luck of the draw I guess.

The first time I ever saw a whole whale was 1989 when I worked for Dragnet Fisheries. We had just passed through The Kennedy Entrance from the Gulf and there was a storm just gathering steam. I was in the Wheelhouse with the Skipper when a Humpback breached about 100 yards or less directly off the bow. I was mesmerized, it cleared the water like a salmon then crashed back into the ocean.

Been a couple years since I've seen one now.