Housatonic In MA??

whalensdad

Reaction score
Just a general question. How does the Housatonic fish in the area from Stockbridge thru Great Barrington? Is there a time of year that is better than others? Is it stocked? Is it accessible?

whalensdad

Reaction score
I don't know about the river but wanted to say hi...……………….Where you been?
Hey Ard - Mainly just lurking and trying to figure out where to move to that is closer to the stream. If you remember some of my earlier posts, we were looking all over. Ended up on Southern CT to be closer to the kids in college, but they'll be gone soon. Got spoiled in Syracuse having lots of streams within 10 minutes of the house. Thought I wouldn't mind an hour + drive, but it's not cutting it. We're researching PA, Eastern NY, and Great Barrington. Wife won't go back to CNY, so that's off the table. Probably more than you asked for, but thanks for asking.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd rather know too much than nothing buddy :)

I get what you mean, there is a really good fall fishery I should be hitting but it is a 75 mile one way haul followed by 8 miles up the river in the boat to get there. Because of the hassle of the trip (and that's what it is) I fish close to home. Fewer fish but fewer people too. I used to rush off without hesitation but as the years roll by I don't take 168 miles as lightly as I did a decade ago. The boat launch, the boulder strewn river and then I get there and find half a dozen people...…….. Nah, I'm good.

Best wishes on finding the right spot.

patrick62

Reaction score
It's a mixed bag in Massachusetts. I rarely venture up there for the Housatonic.

I know guys who float between Great Barrington and Ashley Falls, which is flat and meadowy, and from what they tell me it's bass and pike territory for the most part.

There is a little power station in Housatonic, Mass. and the stretch both above and below attracts carp anglers. I've only fished it a couple times, with only a few dinker smallies to show for it.

It's close enough to the TMA in Connecticut that driving down from Mass. is not a serious obstacle.

whalensdad

Reaction score
It's a mixed bag in Massachusetts. I rarely venture up there for the Housatonic.

I know guys who float between Great Barrington and Ashley Falls, which is flat and meadowy, and from what they tell me it's bass and pike territory for the most part.

There is a little power station in Housatonic, Mass. and the stretch both above and below attracts carp anglers. I've only fished it a couple times, with only a few dinker smallies to show for it.

It's close enough to the TMA in Connecticut that driving down from Mass. is not a serious obstacle.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking for a spot where I'm no more than 15 min to being on the stream. Doesn't look like this part of the Housatonic is it.

patrick62

Reaction score
If 15 minutes to the river is the goal then you should be looking at Cornwall, Falls Village, Salisbury, North Canaan, Sharon and maybe Kent.

tcorfey

Reaction score
You might also try something up around the Farmington River in CT (Torrington/New Hartford area) beautiful country and some great fishing. Nothing wrong with Cornwall and Kent as you have the Housatonic, and Macedonia Brook etc... But the real estate in the Cornwall area is much more expensive than the New Hartford area. But in either area you can get a house with the river running through your back yard.

Check out Upcountry Anglers fish reports on the Farmington Home - UpCountry Sportfishing on the Farmington River
By the way that area is also close to the Naugatuck river which has an Atlantic Salmon stocking program which sounds pretty exciting to me.

Not that I am an expert on either area but I grew up around the Southbury/Danbury area and I was back there this past June and had some good action on Browns and Rainbows on the Farmington. Nice fly shop too.

Regards,

Tim C.

acorad

Reaction score
I can't really help you with the Housie, but I visited my In-laws this summer in S Central MA (near the Housatonic). It rained basically every day and the H was a chocolate shake. So I explored and found that all of the little blue lines near their house were jam-packed with little brookies. Like 30-40 fish in a couple hours. Maybe big ones too, I can't say for sure...but I will find out next year!

Andy