Steelhead on the Fly on the Salmon River, NY

FlyGal

Reaction score
I've just finished my report with pics at my blog. I have way to many photos that don't fit this forums max size requirements. Hence why I don't just copy and past.
-------------------

Steelhead on the Fly on the Salmon River, NY

After hearing so much about this river and the rather large steelhead that winter in it I have to admit my interest was piqued. What fly junkie wouldn’t be? Most discussions did bring up a number of issues that would leave a solitary female flyfisher cold: the stench of rotting post-spawn fish; elbow-to-elbow combat fishing; being knocked over and deafened by a fellow angler that hooks up and immediately megaphones “FISH ON, FISH ON” while chasing his silver bullet; squabbling over water; being run over by a trolling drift boat; and my favorite, multiple recommendations that I always carry a rape whistle. My reply to all of this was “sounds like a charming place - how big did you say the fish are???”

Actually I ended up going for two reasons. A group of local flyfisher friends extended an invitation and the price was right. To keep the trip cost down the plan was to carpool, stay at a reasonably priced place, and bring the camping stove & crockpots with easy to prepare meals. For the most part that plan worked out. Something interesting I learned while on this trip is that you can fit three anglers with gear and cooking stuff in a Dodge Caravan. A smaller vehicle will only hold two anglers plus gear.

Our merry band of anglers shipped off at 3am from northern NH with the intention of arriving in Pulaski, NY some time around 11am. Thoughts of screaming reels and hooking up to monster fish magnetically pulled us through the night toward the Salmon River. One car in our party did arrive a few hours earlier as they started two hours closer to the destination. When I decided to playfully inform the lead driver that the early arrivals had hooked up and were landing fish already, his speed increased by 10 mph. Hehehe…

To read the rest....

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
FlyGal

Great story and I loved the photos, some very nice fish you caught! You got to love steelie fishing.

Larry

Joni

Reaction score
VERY NICE! What about the HUGE BROWN in the NY area?

FlyGal

Reaction score
Larry, I still can't believe what an incredibly lucky trip it was for my first time to the SR.....Most get skunked...

Joni, all fish were from the Salmon River, The browns average 8lb up to 20. Not many in the section of river where I was, but down stream was quite a few.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Larry, I still can't believe what an incredibly lucky trip it was for my first time to the SR.....Most get skunked...

Joni, all fish were from the Salmon River, The browns average 8lb up to 20. Not many in the section of river where I was, but down stream was quite a few.
Good for you, I've been skunked there by both the weather and the fish. As far as the number of fish you had to work with things couldn't get too much better. A bit of the old "right place at the right time". The weather seems not to be such an issue when the reels are whining.

I enjoyed your story and the photos brought back memories. My old Mid Atlantic fishing buddy and I used to fish that river from Altmar to the estuary for many years. I can tell you that you and your group hit it right, congratulations!

FlyGal

Reaction score
Thanks HR, hope I brought back good memories for ya :icon_bigg

on another note I recently got to touch and feel the Hardy and Grays line, some serious smack for a fly junkie.....

That Angle2 reel is divine!

Joni

Reaction score
Those Grays rods are pretty retro! I like it!

Greenwood

Reaction score
Great story FlyGal! I've got a few friends that head up to Pulaski every winter. I remember the first time I saw their pictures holding up some of those Kings, I was sure they had been to Alaska! Your narrative and pictures really gave me the itch to go!

tgoodwater2002

Reaction score
I love your blog Flygal!! That was great! Looks like you all had a great time!! Thanks for sharing your fishing trip!:icon_lol:

tgoodwater2002

Reaction score
Hey, just wondered what that fly looked like that the old man gave you. Do you think that maybe you could post a pic of that fly? :icon_roll

FlyGal

Reaction score
Ahhh, Darn I just used the last one to pierced my nipple with.....If only you asked a week ago :icon_mrgr

He he....

It's so simple it's disgusting....really messy caddis was the trick. All black or brown. :icon_roll

tgoodwater2002

Reaction score
You are one tuff woman flygal! I am not that tough of a chicky like you!!!
I am with you Joni, that makes me hurt too! LOL

That fly sounds simple enough!! :icon_razz

FlyGal

Reaction score
I wanted to relive those fondle memories of the fly that kicked steelie ars....:p:wink:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
FlyGal

Do you think the catch rate success was the fly or the technique that the old man showed you to fish, or maybe both? Just curious!

Larry

FlyGal

Reaction score
I would say the fine leader pared with the presentation and fly was the magic combo...

I altered one each of the three above and had poor results...We were just dang lucky to meet someone with knowledge and had willing fish.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
FlyGal

Yes, it sure sounds like it. He has probably fished that river for steelies for years, sure was nice that he was willing to share some of that knowledge with a total stranger.

Larry