Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. Default Re: Northwest Corner, Conn. 2019 edition

good going Coach
    beautiful Lake

Default Re: Northwest Corner, Conn. 2019 edition

Floated it Thursday afternoon. Semi-unpleasant as it got dark. I could do it with waders but I don't have a big pair of fins that can accommodate the bootie and at this point in the year I'm not inclined to go on the hunt. So I think I will pack the pontoon away tomorrow and call it a season for the lake.

The little brook? That's back in play, with water temps down to 60 and below, and a decent flow.

3. Default Re: Northwest Corner, Conn. 2019 edition

Hous is back in play.

Yes it is. Kinda wish they'd held off, give us a whack at whatever made it through the summer, but what are you gonna do.

Farmington remains quite low. Cold but low. Good time to get at places that are hard to reach -- on foot --otherwise.

5. Default Re: Northwest Corner, Conn. 2019 edition

Housatonic has been fishing awesome, past two weeks consistently putting 18-22” browns into the net for the night hatch.

State stocked Hous this week. Went down around noon yesterday thinking I'd catch a few lackluster stockies. By six p.m. I think I caught 70 trout plus one smallie and a sucker.

And unless they're growing 24 inch browns I caught at least one holdover.

Never seen anything like it. Browns and bows. Took everything. Panfish popper, even.

7. Default Re: Northwest Corner, Conn. 2019 edition

way to go- I think your success may have had something to do with the expertise of the angler.
    your one lucky man to live so close to a wonderful river.
    congrats on a great day.

It was good yesterday too, not as crazy, and some smallie in the mix. This afternoon I'm going to try one of the sections of the TMA that the fish guys can't get to and see what's what.

And fishing is now more or less normal.

The stocked fish have spread out all around the Housatonic TMA and beyond, and with the low flow the wading angler can get to spots normally accessible only by boat. It was 41 degrees this morning in Lakeville, and yesterday at midday I got water temps in the low 60s, in full sunshine.

There are some holdovers around, and they aren't particularly shy about grabbing a mop or a swung soft-hackle. The trick is to find them. Hint: They are probably not hanging around 50 yards from the bank at Push 'Em Up.

The dry spell has rendered the brook trout streams unfishable, which is cramping my style somewhat.

This weekend I will take one last crack at largemouth in the lake before closing up operations on Mt Riga.

Next week I will begin concentrating on the Esopus, which has cooled down finally, although turbidity remains an issue, with a strange phenomenon in the Schoharie reservoir in which sediment remains suspended in the water. Something to do with subsurface wave inversion, whatever that means.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567