Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Default Re: Northwest Corner, Conn. 2019 edition

A nice warm spell has pushed my plans back a week or so.

The Hous trout have gotten smarter fast. The flow is very low too, and I'm guessing the water temps are going to get back in the iffy range until we get some meaningful rain and this warm weather ends.

This is probably the time to go to the Farmington mid-week and test my dry fly skills, which have atrophied.

I got busy splitting wood so failed to take the final turn around the lake

2. Likes ejsell liked this post

The Farmington was active this evening, light Caddis was getting it done
    Details Count

4. Likes ejsell liked this post

Much-needed rain has brought the Housatonic up to 565 at Falls Village. Tribs and little blue lines are back in play. More rain expected today.

So yesterday -- Columbus Day -- was quite nice and while I didn't have the day off exactly I was finished around noon.

I nixed the Farmington because I figured a) crowds and b) very low. Took a ride down along the Housatonic and that was a zoo.

So I remembered that the state dumped a bunch of rainbows into the Blackberry a couple weeks back. I had a long-standing request for trout for the table for some friends of my mother's. "Oho," sez I. "Let us go obtain a few delicious hatchery specials."

Mission accomplished, although I made it as difficult as possible. I used a Galaxy zoom Tenkara rod (roughly 8.5 -- 10 -- 12 ft) with a 12 foot line and tippet attached to that.

There were a lot of leaves on the water, and every time the wind picked up there were more. Caddis were on the menu, and I spent a lot of time trying to get a Deer Hair Sedge to land in between the leaves. I caught leaves to rainbows at a ratio of about 6-1.

Finally I made my way up to the big pool by the Beckley furnace dam. Low enough to see what's going on there quite clearly.

I tied a white panfish popper on about three feet of 3X to serve as a bobber. To the hook I tied four feet of 5X, and used an assortment of things underneath/behind: DHS, caddis pupa, tungsten jig nymphs, soft hackle wets, and BWO specks.

They all worked to some extent, and I caught about 15 rainbows and kept two. I have two already in the freezer from earlier this year, so I think two more should make a reasonable meal for two seasoned citizens.

I lost a bunch too because the line/tippet was long enough that there was really no alternative to grabbing the line by hand at some point in the proceedings. And that is tantamount to handing the wriggly fish a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

It was kinda fun, if a bit silly.

7. Default Re: Northwest Corner, Conn. 2019 edition

super- way to go - excellent fishing
    you know, there is nothing like frIed stocked trout to make you swear off of fish eating . LOL
    great pic of you in the catskills.

Went again yesterday afternoon and amidst the 12-14 inch bows caught a pretty hefty brown with big shoulders -- on the $#@! Tenkara rod with a hellacious long tippet. If I had another three feet of arm I could have scooped this guy into the net but alas.

Caddis in all forms working very well on this stream. Lots of surface action. Winning combo: Size 12 DHS with unweighted tan caddis pupa (w/hot spot) on about two feet of 5X dropper tied directly to hook of DHS.

FWIW I was on the Farmington on Sat and Sun and did not find it too crowded. Relatively speaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678