Northwest Corner, Conn. 2019 edition

patrick62

Reaction score
Here's an idea of just how high the Housatonic has been since September.

1000 cfs is wadeable in some places. 1500 cfs is wadeable in a couple of places. Neither one is much fun.

But this 2000+ stuff...

Note a little dip at the end of October. It warmed up to about 60 degrees outside, and I managed a couple of days in the Park (along with everybody who could get off work).

patrick62

Reaction score
Thursday I took a whack at the Blackberry River at Beckley Furnace in East Canaan. Tickled a couple some distance below the furnace and then connected with this decent brown in the big pool under the main dam just upstream of the furnace.

I had the wrong tool for the job -- a 7 foot 5 weight bamboo rod made from a Phillipson blank by Emil Grimm, who had a fly shop in Phoenicia, N.Y. for a few years in the mid-1980s. (Emil disliked Mario Cuomo so much he refused to charge sales tax, which might have had something to do with the shop's demise.)

My late father bought two of these rods and gave me on as a college graduation present, along with a bus ticket to Richmond, Va., where I had sort of a job lined up, playing incidental music for dance classes at Virginia Commonwealth University. We were horrible but the dancers looked good.

Now I have them both.

I lobbed the heavy mop fly into the maelstrom and stripped it back, from the left (furnace) side. There wasn't much room and when Barney the Brown seized the mop it was a bit of a struggle to horse him in.

I couldn't help thinking that another couple of feet of rod would come in handy.

And of course I forgot the net so I did something I almost never do and photographed the fish in my gentle embrace. He moved just before I snapped the photo, which is why all you see is belly. I didn't want to fool around, I wanted to get him back in the water.

Which I did. He got his bearings and moved off quickly, no doubt muttering a bit.

By the way, it was pretty nippy out there and I was very glad to be wearing this balaclava thing, as recommended by Mr. Troutbitten.

Fly Fishing in the Winter -- Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes | Troutbitten

ctshooter

Reaction score
Got the license printed out, got the vest sorted, just need leaders. Haven't been shopping in some time, any local go to shops?

patrick62

Reaction score
Last couple of days were fishable on the Housatonic. I got the skunk yesterday but another guy had solved it.

Meanwhile it snowed just enough to create this:

Now there's a gentle rain making everything nice and icy. Sigh.

patrick62

Reaction score
I took a whack at the H between the power station in Falls Village and the lowest part of the falls.

Nothing happened but it was nice to get out. And I didn't fall in, so it goes in the "win" column.

patrick62

Reaction score
Fished a little blue line yesterday for about four hours. SUccess on wild browns and brookies, with a size 12 beadhead black wooly the popular favorite

patrick62

Reaction score
Official opening day has come and gone. It rained a lot and everything was pretty high, even the little blue lines.

The Housatonic has been pretty high but clear for the most part. This is the time to book a drift boat trip.

patrick62

Reaction score
Housatonic remains high at about 2700 cfs. In my experience, when it gets down to 1000 it is safe and practical for the wading angler in a few places -- The Elms, the park in particular. Your mileage will definitely vary. It's a big strong river, don't underestimate it. Bring a stick, and wear a wading belt.

Little blue lines clear out first and I've had some success lately. The state stocked the hell out of the Blackberry last week, so if the goal is to just feel the tug and see if you remember how to fish, you can head there.

Forecast looks sunny and dry for the next few days, although we might get a little more rain today.

patrick62

Reaction score
It's been a little slow. I've been fishing the Blackberry, mostly because I'm sick of catching little brookies in the smaller streams, which is the other option at the moment. The Farmington's been way up, a combination of rain and increased flows out of the dam. And the Housatonic is roaring again, which has been the case since at least Labor Day of last year.

And hey -- it's going to rain.

patrick62

Reaction score
Status quo. I'm going to poke around Furnace Brook in Cornwall today. Little blue lines are in nice shape. Housatonic dropped to 1780 this morning but naturally there is rain in the forecast. Is 1000+ cfs the new normal? If so I better buy a boat.

patrick62

Reaction score
I couldn't stand it anymore and went to the park yesterday to fish the Housatonic. From the Corner Hole downstream to the boat ramps it's possible to wade a bit at 1500+ cfs without risking certain death. Got a couple of stocker browns and a smallie for my trouble, and witnessed a flurry of surface action as fish responded to a caddis hatch. Small dark ones. I know this because one flew up my nose.

There are Hendricksons on the Blackberry and smaller streams but I didn't see anything on the Housatonic. So either the hatch got blown out by high water or it hasn't happened yet or [inset third option here].

skunkedalot

Reaction score
There are Hendricksons on the Blackberry and smaller streams but I didn't see anything on the Housatonic. So either the hatch got blown out by high water or it hasn't happened yet or [inset third option here].

housatonic anglers reports NO hendricksons on the Hous this year- must be the high water and chitty weather we have had and will continue to enjoy next week.
I applaud your willing to wade in that water level. Please leave me your fly rods in said will.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I was at the Willimantic River the other day and one fellow was saying that even it there is a hatch, the fish won't come up.
They're afraid of the ospreys