Steelhead closest to Philadelphia?

caddis75

Reaction score
So, I live in Philly, but I am ultra -curious about steelhead fishing, too many pictures of Steelhead on Reddit and the thread on streamers got me thinking. The nearest seems to be Pulaski NY.
1. Can I do it this winter/early spring?
2. Any recommendations on where to stay? I have a tent and winter camping gear.
3. I figure a 7 weight would be enough

If the timing isn't right, this can wait, looking for expertise here.

flytie09

Reaction score
The SR in NY is one of the top destinations. It's where I go and return every year along with seemingly the rest of the North Eastern US anglers. It's crowded is an understatement.

Some good postings I've written on the topic in the past.

Salmon River, New York Steelhead Tips?

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...-river-ny.html?highlight=salmon+river+pulaski

You are probably as close to the SR as those in PA/OH/NY along Lake Erie....they call this stretch Steelhead Alley. Check these out also.

To answer your questions:

1) Sep - May is your best chance to catch a Steelhead in the Great Lakes. Winter fishing isn't for everyone. It will test your resolve, sanity and dedication to the sport.
2) I wouldn't camp up there except in the Summer. The weather is highly volatile and could make for a miserable trip. There are tons of 'Adirondack' style lodges up there you can stay at. There are plenty of decent hotels in Syracuse.
3) I use an 8 WT single hander or a 7/8 WT switch rod. I don't like to go lighter than that. There's a lot of variables. But I use what I use to cover me with various water levels, fall salmon in the stream, flies I use, among others.

Good luck.....

Oh yeah.....be sure to yell "Fish On!" real loud.

flytie09

Reaction score
Check out The Fly Fishing Consultant podcast by Rob Snowhite. Rob has some informative podcasts on the subject. Some of his reflections, observations and stories are hilarious.

Podcast - robsnowhite.com

The story of the origin of 'Dirty Bill' takes the cake.

The Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast by Tom Rosenbauer has some excellent steelheading tactics also. Not SR specific...but some very good principles to keep in mind.

Fly Fishing Guide Podcasts | Orvis

durangobrad

Reaction score
Water levels are the biggest factor on the Salmon River. If its over 1,000 CFS IMO it can get tough, especially for someone not familiar with the river and techniques. 500 being what I think is the ideal flow. Spring would be my recommended time for someone new to it. In mid to late April once the flows have dropped the Steelhead will start to "drop back" and thats when they also start to eat more readily and move through the river more frequently.

caddis75

Reaction score
Thank you all. Pulaski is the closest by about 100 miles. Seems like I have some time to plan as April seems better at least for the next six months. I will look at lodges etc. Much appreciated!

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
Check out The Fly Fishing Consultant podcast by Rob Snowhite. Rob has some informative podcasts on the subject. Some of his reflections, observations and stories are hilarious.

Podcast - robsnowhite.com

The story of the origin of 'Dirty Bill' takes the cake.

The Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast by Tom Rosenbauer has some excellent steelheading tactics also. Not SR specific...but some very good principles to keep in mind.

Fly Fishing Guide Podcasts | Orvis
Flytie09,
Is Rob's podcast available through Stitcher? I only see a link for the Apple tribe, not one for the Android folk. Thanks.

City Rat

Reaction score
Water levels are the biggest factor on the Salmon River. If its over 1,000 CFS IMO it can get tough, especially for someone not familiar with the river and techniques. 500 being what I think is the ideal flow. Spring would be my recommended time for someone new to it. In mid to late April once the flows have dropped the Steelhead will start to "drop back" and thats when they also start to eat more readily and move through the river more frequently.
By no means an expert on SR fishing but just to add to the point on water levels. They can be unpredictable. The two days before my recent trip they were ranging around 2300 cfs and the morning that I was set to fish it was 3500 cfs, calming by mid day to 3200 cfs..in layman's terms that is ALOT of water moving fast. Good luck.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Listen to the guys who are going or have recently been there.........

I'm far away now but some advice is ageless and able to span great distances. My sage advice is to become very familiar with how to fish streamer flies before you invest time and money into a steelhead fishing excursion. The concept of fishing for steelhead with a fly is in many ways identical to fishing for other trout species so the more confident you are in your technique the better.

City Rat

Reaction score
Thanks. I used the contact section in the link that you posted. Rob sent me a message that he sent he had submitted his podcast to the Stitcher folks and then another from the Stitcher folks that his podcast had been accepted and was now up on Stitcher. I just added it and downloaded episodes. Thanks for turning me on to this podcast. Much appreciated.