Any CT Bass Fishermen - I Need Help...

whalensdad

Reaction score
I've been out kayak fishing 6 times on 4 different lakes (Basham, Gardner, Mansfield Hollow, and Pauchag) and have managed to catch only 1 stinkin bass :(

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and could use some guidance. I'm guessing it is a combination of not having the correct flies and not knowing where to cast.

If there is anyone out there that wouldn't mind getting together for some on water schooling, please let me know.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm a little busy with work and painting my house right now, but I've fished 3 out of 4 of those places and as I remember, I did just about as well as you did
I'd suggest that you try fishing some smaller ponds and the weedy coves of lakes where the big boys in their sparkly phallic symbols can't or won't go
As I remember you're in the Saybrook area. I'm not. But my buddy from Portland and I use to fish around your way some years back
I'll send you a PM with some suggestions.

I fish on top most of the time.
It's the most fun and I fish to have fun
Usually with my own poppers and sliders, but you can't beat a Gartside Gurgler
When I do fish sub-surface it's likely to be a Seaducer. I like how they suspend in the water and still seem to breathe.

I tie my poppers with double weed guards and cast right into any holes in the salad.
Just let it sit until the water is calm and then give it a jiggle.
..Retrieve your bug very slowly on a tight line and then flick it up high to avoid getting stuck in the weed edge.

IMGP0004.jpgView attachment 19049

Last edited:

whalensdad

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. What size are your poppers and can you point me to any tying instructions? The ones I've tied are using small foam bodies, but the only thing I've ever caught on them has been pan fish. In fact that is what I caught today on my popper pattern. I haven't used any weed guards, so I try to stay out of the weeds and fish just on the edge of them.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Bass go out of their way to stay in the shade. Even if it's a single blade of grass shading one eye.
That's how important weed cover is. That's where they spend their day.
The further in to it you can reach the better off you'll be
Fishing in the weeds is an acquired skill, but worth practicing.

The smallest size popper that you'd want to go with is a 6, but I usually go with a 2 to a 3/0
Gurglers are easy to tie and very effective.
Tying the Gurgler
Mono weed guards take time to tie in, but you should not skip that step
They're critical
I tie in 2. They get bent out of shape fairly easy and so when one gets destroyed, I can cut it off and I'm still good to go

Last edited:

tcorfey

Reaction score
I can't guarantee this will work for you but lots of the conventional bass guys get hit using rubber worms as short as 6" so I would thing a streamer with a 4-5" strip of bunny fur could emulate the same action. Might try black or purple flies they both seem to work well. You must find structure though and that could be weeds, lily pads, submerged trees, etc... Wooly buggers work pretty well too. Rocks are also good structure and rocks usually have crayfish which bass love so a crayfish pattern could be a hit too. In all these patterns they will have to be fished slow and on the bottom. When you feel a bite wait for the line to move before you strip strike because bass will take a worm by the tail sometimes then take a second bite after they turn to get it in their mouths.

This might help
Pro Tips: Top 5 Subsurface Flies for Largemouth Bass - Orvis News

Bunny Leech
Bunny_Leech_-_PurpleA__38120.1505323783.1280.1280.jpg

skunkedalot

Reaction score
i fish all season for largies and smallies with the fly rod. I agree that topwater is the most fun but there are times when the bite requires going deep- buy a sink tip or sinking line and get some wooly buggers in brown, black, olive etc and work weed lines . you will find bass
in addition, the lakes you are fishing are absolutely pounded. On those types of lakes, fish really early- daybreak etc and also evenings/ dark. Better yet- - avoid the bass club spots and find smaller ponds.
often overlooked, they do fish well. also try to find some farm ponds, ask permission and often you find a honey of a spot. also, look on the deep book or website and find ponds where motorized boats are not allowed. these are the perfect spots for a yak or float tube and do not get the pressure that the bigger lakes do. good luck-send pm and I will try to steer you into other spots.

whalensdad

Reaction score
I can't guarantee this will work for you but lots of the conventional bass guys get hit using rubber worms as short as 6" so I would thing a streamer with a 4-5" strip of bunny fur could emulate the same action. Might try black or purple flies they both seem to work well. You must find structure though and that could be weeds, lily pads, submerged trees, etc... Wooly buggers work pretty well too. Rocks are also good structure and rocks usually have crayfish which bass love so a crayfish pattern could be a hit too. In all these patterns they will have to be fished slow and on the bottom. When you feel a bite wait for the line to move before you strip strike because bass will take a worm by the tail sometimes then take a second bite after they turn to get it in their mouths.

This might help
Pro Tips: Top 5 Subsurface Flies for Largemouth Bass - Orvis News

Bunny Leech
Any CT Bass Fishermen - I Need Help...-bunny_leech_-_purplea__38120.1505323783.1280.1280.jpg
Thanks for the suggestions. So far I've been focusing only on the top. I'll have to add these to my arsenal and see if it helps.

whalensdad

Reaction score
Bass go out of their way to stay in the shade. Even if it's a single blade of grass shading one eye.
That's how important weed cover is. That's where they spend their day.
The further in to it you can reach the better off you'll be
Fishing in the weeds is an acquired skill, but worth practicing.

The smallest size popper that you'd want to go with is a 6, but I usually go with a 2 to a 3/0
Gurglers are easy to tie and very effective.
Tying the Gurgler
Mono weed guards take time to tie in, but you should not skip that step
They're critical
I tie in 2. They get bent out of shape fairly easy and so when one gets destroyed, I can cut it off and I'm still good to go

Thanks - I looked up some videos last night. What size mono are you using? The videos suggested 20lb.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
What size mono are you using? The videos suggested 20lb.
I use two pieces of 30lb. (.019")
When you tie them off, run them through the hook eye. Adjust the length. Lash them down and and tie them off, Then poke a hot bodkin through the hook eye to melt the mono.
They'll never come loose.
Maybe you can see it better here

Whetstone Brook 001.jpg

Last edited:

whalensdad

Reaction score
I use two pieces of 30lb. (.019")
When you tie them off, run them through the hook eye. Adjust the length. Lash them down and and tie them off, Then poke a hot bodkin through the hook eye to melt the mono.
They'll never come loose.
Maybe you can see it better here

View attachment 19062
So if I understand your instructions, you put the mono into the eye to hold it while you tie it in then you melt it to clear the eye.

Thanks for the assistance. Now off to wally world to get some mono.