Quick trip to the Farmington

photoguy

Reaction score
I decided on short notice to take a quick trip to the Farmington this past weekend with my son. This is likely our last trip of the season as his time is much more compromised than mine these days.

Having fished this river only once before I thought it would be a good idea to hire a guide for the day- Seth Boynick. My first trip there was last year and it only produced one strike and nothing in hand so I wanted to do a little more exploring with some local knowledge. Glad I did as we fished lots of different areas that I probably never would have found on my own.

I reached out to Seth as my original thought was to float the river (and he has a boat, one of the few on the river...maybe the only one?) but that wasn't doable as the river levels are really low. I guess the upside to the low water was the relatively easy wading. Our guide Seth is a good guy, has fished this area all of his life and knew it like the back of his hand.

We stared near the Hitchcock factory in Riverton and my son had a fish on pretty quickly so the day was already a success in my mind. From there we moved down river to a few more difficult access points where my son and I both caught decent rainbows during a light hatch of what appeared to be caddis maybe...BWO??- I'm not quite sure, they were really small and hard to see. We ended the day off of Ramp Road with my son hooking into a beautiful fat rainbow. I kept thinking throughout the day that there is no substitute for 'local knowledge'.

What a great fall day in New England.

acorad

Reaction score
Beautiful! Great to spend time with your son.

We were in Granville last year and saw the Farmington as we traveled about, it looks like a fishy river!

Andy

photoguy

Reaction score
Thx Andy...yup, spending time with my son is too seldom these days. And it is a great looking and fishing river, hope you get a chance to fish it.