Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Northwest Corner, Conn. -- 2020

I almost typed "Northweat Corner." That would have been embarrassing.

Step One -- Town Hall in Salisbury to get a new license. Incidentally, last year (or was it the year before) the legislature decided to add a $5 "trout stamp" to the inland license fee of $28. As many of us said at the time, why not just make the inland fee $33? Or even $35? You don't even get an ersatz stamp.

It was stupid then and it's stupid now. Pfui.

Thank you for your support.

Step Two -- I know what the little blue lines look like -- a little high, and at just enough elevation to make some residual snow and ice likely. But larger tribs like the Blackberry and Furnace might be worth a look.

We haven't had a really big snow storm yet. We had about eight inches a few weeks back but it melted off in pretty short order. I define "big" as a foot or more with accompanying weeping and gnashing of teeth.

2. Default Re: Northwest Corner, Conn. -- 2020

trout stamp- supposedly, the money goes to deep so we have more trout and fishing opportunitys.
    of course, this is CT where money is immediately diverted to another pet project.
    they would not just add the money to the general license fee- they remember that last time they raised it- people went nuts.
    you dont HAVE to buy a stamp but if you fish our beloved Hous for smallies, you need the stamp.why?
    because you just might catch a trout in the summer smallmouth season. they have us by the short hairs.

Default Re: Northwest Corner, Conn. -- 2020

Fished the Housatonic above the West Cornwall covered bridge this weekend. First time up in the area based on Harold's recommendation. Since the temps were warm, I decided to started with the faster water but didn't connect with anything. So I dropped back around to find different water - slightly slower. And found 2 fat chunky rainbows. Their hits were super subtle. The sighter paused ever so slightly and I set the hook. Pink is the key.

Spoke with a gentleman who was shopping at the Housatonic river outfitters about going to the salmon river later in the month. Super psyched about it now. Probably gonna try more pink flies.

4. Default Re: Northwest Corner, Conn. -- 2020

thank you for supporting a local fly shop!

5. Likes lookard liked this post

Little blue line patrol later today. I'm thinking that after a couple of frigid days, a gain of 15 degrees and some sun will get some trout, somewhere, interested in a little snack.

Was on the Housatonic yesterday. Went to the faster water to search for trout thinking that they would go there with the warmer temps but I didnt catch any in the riffles. I got a measurement of close to 40F on my thermometer. Found them in the slower and deeper sections in the runs and holes. The rainbows were on eggs and the only brown was on a size 18 duracell jig. The brown jumped straight out of the water. That was unexpected.

Tried a coated braid as my leader. Seems to work out well. Its also hydrophobic so maybe it will reduce my issues with leader sticking when I fish in the rain. It was super windy and the golden hues of the reflections made it really difficult to watch the line.

I found a few wild fish -- browns and brookies -- over the warm and windy weekend. Wind wasn't really a factor as I was down in the hollows and ravines. Big and bushy ruled the day. Nobody cared about nymphs, which was weird. Had one bigger fish flash a big conehead bugger but he promptly went to earth, I know not where.

If you're going to give me two 60+ degree days in a row in January I'm going to take them.