Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Salmon River winter

Here's the report.

The trip was great! I hooked up 3 times but didn't land them. =(

First fish was hooked up on size 10 emerald shiner (bent the hook after a decent fight and the fish even jumped twice out of the water). Need to tie on 2x strong hooks next time. Lots of people were float fishing that spot and covering water. But since I was euro-nymphing, I was able to target a short deep hole where I hooked up in front of a hidden strainer (loss 10 flies in there).

Second fish was hooked on Devin Olsen's magneto. Lost him after a short fight after it went a little down stream of me. Perhaps my drag was too much? Or a lousy hook set.

Third fish was on the swing with a size 16 tungsten eggstacy in fl yellow. I was ahead in the fight at first. Keep him sorta in front of me and in control. But then it headed to the fast water and in a few seconds I was into my backing. The fish popped off. Lesson learnt. Gonna use the same fly but tied in a large hook next time.

My buddy hooked up the first day at this spot with the magneto as well. It was a crazy fight but we've managed to land him. I've learnt from all the video I've watched in preparation that you should steer the head first into the net and that is absolutely right. Also, its much easier to land the fish with a big net. My friend had a fishpond net, which made landing extremely difficult. Good thing I had the largest frabill trout net. It measured to 23 inches.

IMG_20200118_135055.jpg

We were standing in the water all day long. My buddy's wading belt froze solid so he couldn't even get out of the waders to pee until it warmed up enough in the car to melt the ice in the buckle. On sunday, the parking lot had about 3/4 inches of snow and my car couldn't get out. I've got to thank the 5 other anglers from 2 other vehicles who came to help us out. Really great guys. Didn't manage to get their names as we were all focused on the pushing and clearing of snow in front of the car. The shovel came in handy.

Also, we found out that another angler (one of the 5 who helped us out) landed 9 fish that day. Amazing! Should have explored the lower fly zone. We covered water from Altmar North parking lot down to Ellis Cove. I can see why swinging flies is attractive. There are some long runs that looked rather featureless on the surface and it was difficult to find spots to specifically target.

In the meantime, as I save up for the 4runner I should get a set of snow chains for the car!

Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions guys!

2. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
    Likes flytie09, philip43 liked this post

great report...I told you that shovel would come in handy
    4 runner with 4 wheel drive will do the trick..I am on my fifth!
    too bad you didnt get the chance to pick the brain of the guy who caught 9.....
    long drive from Queens to Pulaski! but I bet you cant wait to get back!

4. Likes lookard liked this post

Good to see you guys had a good time and had some luck.

I'd say to not get caught up in the numbers game when steelhead fishing. It will drive you absolutely nuts. Trust me........That's simply a losing proposition and not what it's about. This will simply come with time. There is no magical spot, bait or technique. Presentation, being able to read water, know the various bottom structure and where fish are going to be at various times of the year is what it's all about.

3 hookups your first time out is pretty darn good in my mind. When they make their first run....you just have to let them go.
    You also have to apply side pressure with your rod but don't horse them in and like you learned....carry a big net.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

6. Likes lookard liked this post

Now that the snow chains arrived. Maybe I'll get some maxtraxs as well. I definitely can't wait to get back. Probably the holiday weekend in Feb.

8. Likes tsmervis liked this post

Going up again this Friday evening. Hoping to land at least 1 in the net this time! The flow is much slower than before.

10. Likes okaloosa liked this post
  11. Default Re: Salmon River winter

Quote Originally Posted by lookard View Post
    Going up again this Friday evening. Hoping to land at least 1 in the net this time! The flow is much slower than before.
    Can't wait to read the report!

Tight lines

Wife and I left NYC late and got to the salmon river around 1am.

The next day she dropped me off at Altmar North and made plans to meet for lunch. As I walked downstream, there were so many anglers that I walked all the way to Ellis Cove to get started on fishing. I didn't find fish in that area. But I did walk up on a spot and saw a really large trout just hanging out. I couldn't cast to it because of the obstruction in front and above it. I tried to take a video of it, but I forgot I had polarized glasses on so that I could see it. So when I went to review that video, its was just 100% glare no amount of editing could bring out the fish.

The wife picked me up and we went to Pineville to have lunch. After lunch, I decided to start by the bridge and within a few casts. I felt a miss and eventually hooked up on a brown. Feeling good, I stayed in the area for many more casts. But it seemed hopeless. So I decided to explore. I walk downstream to try and find some other spots. But I didn't find much, so I went back up. By this time, it was getting dark so I added a large orange bobber to continue fishing for a little while more. After a few cast, I striked when my bobber went down and felt a fish. But it was not to be. I found a little fish scale on my fly. A sign!

The next day I went back to the same area and after a few casts I hooked up! This fish was much more manageable compared to the last 3 that I hooked/fought/loss in my prior trip. Winner!

IMG_20200216_121602.jpg

Went to get the wife and tried to make a visit to the hatchery. But it turns out to be closed for the season. Lesson learnt. Don't trust google maps dates and times. Always check the source. Anyway, we found a excellent fried chicken place at Altmar Hotel. After lunch, I went back to Altmar North. Around 5.30pm I hooked up on a nice fish and lost it when it got into the fast current on the other side of the river. I was super bummed. At the end of the day, while waiting for the wife to come pick me up, I saw the silhouette of a large fish in the shallows from the bridge when I shined my headlamp down. A mouse fly on top might work!

The next day and final day of the trip, we did some sight seeing at the Salmon River falls. It was really beautiful. Plus I was given 2 hours to fish before lunch and the long drive home. I decided to go to Ellis Cove because the lot oversees thee river so it has an amazing view for the wife. I fished around the area and the bends that look so good. But found no fish.

Decided to walk further and try that spot where I hooked up that lost fish the day before. Not long later, I hooked up. It stayed down and then swam upstream. I was palming the reel to keep it under control. Eventually, it gets into the fast water and becomes downstream of me. But I was not going to let it get off again. I waded down fairly aggressively into water that was waist height. But I made sure to steer it away from the fast water on the other side of the river. After a few tries to land the fish, I managed it and boy was it sweet.

IMG_20200217_131810.jpg

I had to take a long pause at the streamside just to get over the adrenaline of fighting and landing this fish. But whoooo!

IMG_20200217_132151.jpg

After I released this fish, I gave a few more cast and left to find the wife and lunch. Stop while I was up! Brought the wife down to the river for a short walk. Overall, great trip! Super thankful to land 3 fish!

13. Likes flytie09 liked this post

you dont look too happy! congrats....what fly did you use and what size?

Fish On! Great job. You’re a natural.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12