Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Salmon River winter

lookard...I hate to tell you this...but you're only allowed single fly rigs in any of the Lake Ontario tribs for steelhead/salmon/browns/atlantics including the Salmon River. Lake Erie in PA it's ok...but not in NY.

So say your penance tonight, 1000 hail Mary's and that you'll do better next time. It's ok...noone is perfect....but you have to know your regs going anywhere.....the big one's you need to know are highlighted below:

Salmon River and Oswego River Fishing Regulations : FishSalmonRiver.com
    Salmon River Rules Regulations – Anglers Den
    Lower Fly Zone | Lower Fly Fishing Zone

August 15 – April 14
    - Fishing is prohibited at night from ˝ hr. after sunset to ˝ hr. before sunrise except as permitted below.
    - Only one hook with a single hook point and a gap not exceeding ˝ inch is permitted except on floating lures as noted below.
    Hooks attached to any lure, except an artificial fly, must be free swinging and unweighted. Artificial flies with no more than 1/8 oz. of added weight may be used. The method by which weight is added to a hook does not affect classification as an “artificial fly” provided the conditions of the definition of an artificial fly on page 60 are met.
    - The distance between the hook, artificial fly or lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, shall not exceed 4 feet.
    - Weight shall not be added to the line, leader, swivels, artificial fly or lure in any manner that the weight hangs lower than the attached hook when the line is suspended vertically from the rod.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

from my experience on the Salmon river nothing worked as well for me as a simple orange egg pattern like that second fly of yours...but the drift had to be perfect.
    I did watch some videos of one guy doing absolutely great with woolly buggers. such a fantastic fishery and gorgeous river! long drive from Queens Blvd though!

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    lookard...I hate to tell you this...but you're only allowed single fly rigs in any of the Lake Ontario tribs for steelhead/salmon/browns/atlantics including the Salmon River. Lake Erie in PA it's ok...but not in NY.

So say your penance tonight, 1000 hail Mary's and that you'll do better next time. It's ok...noone is perfect....but you have to know your regs going anywhere.....the big one's you need to know are highlighted below:

Salmon River and Oswego River Fishing Regulations : FishSalmonRiver.com
    Salmon River Rules Regulations – Anglers Den
    Lower Fly Zone | Lower Fly Fishing Zone

August 15 – April 14
    - Fishing is prohibited at night from ˝ hr. after sunset to ˝ hr. before sunrise except as permitted below.
    - Only one hook with a single hook point and a gap not exceeding ˝ inch is permitted except on floating lures as noted below.
    Hooks attached to any lure, except an artificial fly, must be free swinging and unweighted. Artificial flies with no more than 1/8 oz. of added weight may be used. The method by which weight is added to a hook does not affect classification as an “artificial fly” provided the conditions of the definition of an artificial fly on page 60 are met.
    - The distance between the hook, artificial fly or lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, shall not exceed 4 feet.
    - Weight shall not be added to the line, leader, swivels, artificial fly or lure in any manner that the weight hangs lower than the attached hook when the line is suspended vertically from the rod.

Oh no! I truly must have missed that point. I was aware about the no weight below fly regulations. Yikes. I even had heavier egg patterns in my fly box.

4. Likes tsmervis liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123