Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    blackbugger Guest

Default Re: Orvis Pro Guide wading jacket

I've had a G4 for about 3 years.

It's well designed. I have zero complaints.

Torrential rain and snow in Montana, two weeks in the rain on the O.P. and I have to say, it's by far and away the best piece of outdoor gear I've ever owned.

It's perfect for what it's made for, the most extreme conditions you can fish in.
    Simms makes really good stuff.

2. Likes Joni, repperson29 liked this post

The Simm's jacket is great; however, I'm liking this one even more.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Filson-Cover-Wading-Jacket-Medium/dp/B009YY8LH2"]Amazon.com: Filson Men's Cover Cloth Wading Jacket Medium Wax Olive: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41aeoG6eGkL.@@AMEPARAM@@41aeoG6eGkL[/ame]
    Time will tell if it's better. Too bad it's been discontinued, but still available at a few places. Another place. Filson Cover Cloth Wading Jacket It's also made in the U.S.A.

4. Default Re: Orvis Pro Guide wading jacket

You like the Oil Cloth check out Barbour's wading Jacket. We had on in Orvis when I worked there and it is a great looking jacket. I prefer the neoprene cuffs though for dry sleeves.

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac and Fingerlakes Region

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to update it a bit as I am making the exact same decision. The current model of the G4 Pro wading jacket has a really impressive set of features, 3 layer construction, numerous pockets including two items in particular that set it apart from others, pit zips that allow you to dump heat as you are hiking and otherwise exerting energy and a storage pocket on your back. This comes at a price of $550.00 The current version of the Orvis Guide Pro Wading jacket, as far as I have been able to find, also has 3 layer construction and is the only wading jacket that has the pit zips and nearly all of the G4 features, minus the back storage pocket. It is normally $349.00 and today I have a coupon that makes it $300.00. As I said both jackets, in their current versions, are very similar in features and construction, both are guaranteed to be waterproof. Simms uses 3 layers of Goretex to achieve this and Orvis uses 3 layers of polyester/nylon with the outer layer laminated in polyurethane and that is treated with DWR. My really expensive, top of the line Patagonia rain shell for mountaineering runs a polyurethane layer on top of 3 layers of Goretex and it is a tank of a jacket. So for me the question is, is the Gortex worth $250.00? I love Simms stuff and really like a lot of Orvis offerings but at least today I'm going with the Orvis Pro Wading jacket 3 layers of polyester/nylon with a layer of polyurethane and throwing the $250 savings towards a set of new wading boots. If I get wet it all goes back to Orvis and I'll just gulp and buy the G4.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

[QUOTE=City Rat;1341519] So for me the question is, is the Gortex worth $250.00?

Not in my opinion.
    I guide on the Smith in MT where we are out for 5 days at time, camping and fishing in all weather conditions. Bomber rain gear in this situation is a must. I have owned several different Simms GTX jackets in the past and all were excellent. I started using the Orvis Pro jacket last season and have no complaints or failures to report. I too tried the Orvis because the price was too good to pass up, and I fortunately get deals on both brands.
    You can't go wrong with either but I think you will be happy with Orvis jacket and putting the savings towards other gear.

8. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123