Orvis Pro Guide wading jacket

tippet

Reaction score
.....has anyone tried this jacket yet? If so what are your thoughts?

Thanks

michaeln

Reaction score
I'm torn between that jacket and the Simms G4. I think the G4 is going to get the nod on payday. The Orvis uses some kind of unknown breathable membrane, the Simms uses the best material GoreTex makes ... I have an Arcteryx jacket ($$$$) that uses the same stuff and it is the only waterproof breathable garment I have ever had that actually really keeps me dry. The construction on the Simms is very similar, and the materials are the same.

I have lots of Orvis stuff, but in this case I think I will go with Simms. I should mention I inspected them both closely and tried both on at stores in San Francisco, so my judgment is based on that rather than websites and catalogs.

tippet

Reaction score
.....the one thing that might be an issue for me is the fact that the hood can not be tucked away.

michaeln

Reaction score
I used an Orvis pro guide vest,waders and a rainvest,it's good stuff...I've changed for Simms...which seems;) far better:D
I bought the Simms G4 Pro jacket yesterday (in gunmetal, not that weird orange), and I'm really pleased with it. I like the way the hood rolls up and is held in place by a velcro strap. The pocket system is really really ingenious. I think it's going to be great out on the water!

tippet

Reaction score
.......I went ahead and bought the Orvis. Picked it up for less than the advertised $329. Looked into getting the Simms but I could convince myself to spend $400 on a jacket.

The Orvis seem to be a very nice jacket. Fits great and has a nice appearance. It can zip up high covering part of my face which will be great for steelhead fishing. A total of five pocket plus hand warmers on each side. The pockets are very roomy and the zippers work well. I think my favorite feature of this jacket is that there are no flaps for your line to get caught in.

I haven't tested it in the rain yet, but soon I hope!

michaeln

Reaction score
.......I went ahead and bought the Orvis. Picked it up for less than the advertised $329.
I hope you enjoy it. It is definitely a lot cheaper than the Simms.

To me, the Simms is worth the extra money. I'm sure they're both great wading jackets though!

tippet

Reaction score
......I'm sure you'll love the simms. I wanted it bad but couldn't come up with the extra cash.
One bad thing I noticed about the Orvis is no D-rings on the front. So if you don't use a vest you have no place to attach a tippet holder or zinger

michaeln

Reaction score
......I'm sure you'll love the simms. I wanted it bad but couldn't come up with the extra cash.
One bad thing I noticed about the Orvis is no D-rings on the front. So if you don't use a vest you have no place to attach a tippet holder or zinger
Well, they have clip-on zingers that should work. The Simms has two of their very cool plastic coil retractors built right in to the front of the jacket, and they live under little "tents".

tippet

Reaction score
...there is actually nowhere to clip it to. You'd have to slightly open a pocket or on the side over the zipper.

Joni

Reaction score
I got to jump in here and say GORE TEX is good stuff and well known but in a survey in a magazine a few years ago, the Orvis material held up just as well, but if you feel better with a name, great.
Not saying SIMMs isn't good gear, it is some of the best. Just a little put out that the shoes are CHINESE, better look at labels from now on.

I have the TAILWATER jacket from Orvis. Going on 9 years now and as good as day one.
I like the cuffs as they do keep the sleeves dry. The waterproof pockets ARE waterproof.
The adjustable hood is killer. The fleece at the top of the zipper so it doesn't scratch your chin. GOOD STUFF. I wouldn't say $70. is allot cheaper, but enough to get some good line...;-)

michaeln

Reaction score
...there is actually nowhere to clip it to. You'd have to slightly open a pocket or on the side over the zipper.
Oh, too bad then! I guess you could use one of those lanyard contraptions around your neck.

michaeln

Reaction score
I got to jump in here and say GORE TEX is good stuff and well known but in a survey in a magazine a few years ago, the Orvis material held up just as well, but if you feel better with a name, great.
It's not about "feeling better with a name". It is about my extensive personal experience over several decades with "waterproof & breathable" clothing. In my experience, my Arcteryx jacket made with GoreTex Pro Shell is the ONLY garment I have ever had that keeps me dry while exercising. That's enough to make me think it is good stuff and worth buying again, so I did.

My experience means a heck of a lot more to me than some article in some magazine a few years ago. Gore Tex Pro Shell wasn't even around a few years ago.

Joni

Reaction score
You're missing my point. Have you "TRIED" the Orvis? My guess no, as you have stated that with your experience with Gore-Tex has not let you down. Great, I wouldn't have thought anything less. It is great stuff as I stated.
BUT, so is the Orvis.

Someone that has NOT had your hands on experience, as this person appears, can definitely appreciate your experiences I am sure.
My experience is with Orvis and no complaints here either.

But, rest assure, I have Gore-Tex also.

You don't hear allot of Complaining on L.L. Bean, Patagonia, William Joseph, etc. Jackets that is.

michaeln

Reaction score
Just a little put out that the shoes are CHINESE, better look at labels from now on.
My Orvis EZ-On Sidezip boots are made in Vietnam. My Orvis Tailwater XT waders are made in China. Not sure what your point is, really.

Do you buy only USA-mfgd stuff?

Joni

Reaction score
My Orvis EZ-On Sidezip boots are made in Vietnam. My Orvis Tailwater XT waders are made in China. Not sure what your point is, really.

Do you buy only USA-mfgd stuff?
Would like to, but that is a little tuff as we all know.
Buy USA? - When possible and a choice...YES
And that is my point, that is all.

I know Orvis has allot of Chinese GOOD gear. Just a little surprised when I saw it in Simms and RED WING.
Life goes on.

Last edited:

tippet

Reaction score
Update

Well only after a short time I've noticed an issue. The material where the sleeve and the side of the jacket rub together has started to fray. I was in Manchester and saw one of the employees who had the same jacket. He's had his about 6 months and it looked awful. I would guess these areas will lose the ability to repel water.

It's going back to Orvis

Last edited:

lavelanet

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but as both jackets are still available I thought I'd add my two cents for anyone else searching on this and coming across this thread like I just did. First let me say I love Orvis. They are a great company and their return policy is fantastic. Second, I am not a guide or a extremely tough user of this sort of equipment anymore but I do have expectations. I ended up buying the Orvis Pro Guide Jacket 2 years ago and really liked the jacket. I finally returned it for the final time the other day and got my money back. It was my 4th jacket in 2 years that had failed me. Two had issues with the bottom button below the zipper where the button was too strong and after a normal usage it literally pulled itself apart. They fixed that after the first year and first two jackets. Then the new jackets both had zippers that broke with in 6 wearing. So I just returned my fourth Orvis Pro Guide Jacket (even though I really like it the way it was designed.) The other issue with it was a pretty important factor for me. It didn’t keep me dry, that’s a pretty important feature in a wading jacket for me.

So now I’m planning on buying the Simms G4 Pro jacket because I have learned a very important thing. When you have limited time to fish and your trip gets ruined because of your jacket, your jacket not failing on your becomes very important. And everything I’ve heard and read about the G4 sounds like exactly what I’m looking for. That said it’s seems to be getting harder and harder to find which makes me wonder if it’s up for redesign soon. I like the Gun metal grey better than any of the other colors I’ve seen for it but I’d prefer if it had a olive or Loden color and am hoping Simms announces something soon before I regret waiting and learn a new lesson. A guy without a wading jacket always gets wet in the rain. 

Joni

Reaction score
That's too bad on the Orvis! But, I like your attitude. I bought my Pro Guide Orvis Jacket back in 2001 so I am sure the design has changed a few times. Happy to say I still use mine with no defects (knock on wood) and keeps me dry.

Good luck with the Simms. Nice having choices.