Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Waders - Comparing Brands

always go up in sizes for the foot portion. Even if it is close, you have to be able to have multiple wading socks on, and for them to slip on rather easily and still fit comfortably.

With that said, certain companies take into account the wading socks into their foot sizes. i've found this to be the exception versus the norm with the 4 pairs of waders i've gone through.

always ask them if its a true foot size or adjusted.

Default Re: Waders - Comparing Brands

I would also take a look at Wiliam Joseph and Patagonia waders.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Hi acoustic,

The foot size is just like the rest of the wader. Take along the heaviest socks you might wear. If you wear two pair or a liner and a heavy wool or whatever, take them to the store and wear them to get the right fit. You don't want the feet to be too tight and especially too tight in the boot. A tight fit will give you cold feet. Most fly shop owners will know how to fit you.

Frank

4. Default Re: Waders - Comparing Brands

Thanks for all the help. I'm not exactly sure what I'd be wearing on a trip because I haven't used waders yet haha, so hopefully I'll get some good help in a store. I'm really thinking I'm going to go with the Simms Headwaters with a custom stockingfoot. My size 12 foot fits into size 12.5 a little better, so with all the added gear I should probably err on the side of a 12-13 instead of 9-11.

Now just to get into a store and get this going.

Blog Entries

Just a thought. A Simms Headwaters with a custom stockingfoot will cost you $365. A stock G3 Guide will cost $430. For the $65 difference, you will get the higher quality Gore Tex. It's more breathable. It is more durable. And a variety of sizes are available. Your foot size should not be an issue.

If you plan on fishing where bushwacking may be required or you are going to fish more than the average weekend warrior, a guide level wader may be the way to go.

MP

6. Default Re: Waders - Comparing Brands

I had thought about the G3s, but I said for just $65 more I can get Gore Tex instead of standard breathables, then for $65 I could get custom fitting Gore Tex, now it's just $65 more for G3s. That's really stretching my budget, so I'll probably need to make it up in the boots. Any recoendation for great and cheap non felt books?

The G3s might need customization too. My chest size is about 40, so I'll need mediums with 12-13 stockingfoot, which doesn't exist for G3s either. Maybe a Large wouldn't be too large though. What should I look for when trying to see of it's too large?

And what is considered as bushwhacking? Since I've never used waders, I don't know what constitutes abusing them. The worst I think I'd see would be moderate to heavily overgrown trails in the Sierra Mountains, so nothing thorny. I guess I'll learn by experience, but for instance can the G3s pretty much never spring a leak from walking through or on anything but the headwaters might? Thanks!

I just purchased some new waders myself. I went with the simms freestone waders and the headwaters boots. I put more emphasis on the boot then the waders becuase that is what takes the biggest beating from me. The main difference I see in the simms waders is the material, the freestones are of the same quality just not made with gore-tex. As far as Orvis products I've had a couple of their waders and they worked great for me, as a matter of fact I was looking at the sonicseam and the reddington sonic pro waders but went with the simms for the price which allowed me to upgrade the boots and stay at the same pricepoint which by the way was $350. Just my .02 centavos. Good Luck!

Blog Entries

For my money, I go with G3's and a freestone boot.
    I get 4-5 seasons that are year-round.
    The waders must survive wild stickery strawberries, granite, and a lot of crawling around stalking and landing fish.
    The lower leg is warmish in the summer.
    That is the price of durability.
    I'm on my 4th pair.
    The freestone waders are my rentals.
    I would size for a jacket underneath your waders, as well as socks.
    You want to be able to high step onto a bench too.
    I have had lots of brands, and I hate getting cold and wet.
    For what it's worth.

Jim
    Ultimately, it's not catching fish that satisfies, but knowing how.

Bigfly

9. Default Re: Waders - Comparing Brands

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    For my money, I go with G3's and a freestone boot.
    I get 4-5 seasons that are year-round.
    The waders must survive wild stickery strawberries, granite, and a lot of crawling around stalking and landing fish.
    The lower leg is warmish in the summer.
    That is the price of durability.
    I'm on my 4th pair.
    The freestone waders are my rentals.
    I would size for a jacket underneath your waders, as well as socks.
    You want to be able to high step onto a bench too.
    I have had lots of brands, and I hate getting cold and wet.
    For what it's worth.

Jim
    4-5 seasons? Is that standard? Seems kind of short for something so expensive.

10. Default Re: Waders - Comparing Brands

For what it's worth, I ended up going with a non-custom Headwaters. Turns out that the stockingfoot fits pretty well. If I find that it's too tight I can still get a custom one from Simms, so I couldn't really rationalize spending the extra $130 for G3s when I didn't have that much at all.

So far they're working great!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast