Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Southwest, VA
    Posts
    163

    Default Colder weather fishing gloves

    I am looking to pick up a pair of gloves for fishing in the upcoming colder weather. As this will be the first time that I have fished in anything other than warm weather I am lost as to what I need...what works...what doesn't? Please send along all recommendations and tips.
    Thanks,
    Tuck

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    16,177
    Blog Entries
    121

    Default Re: Colder weather fishing gloves

    I use the wool gloves with no finger tips. Been using them for 25 years, I can't seem to handle line with neoprene gloves on. There may be some gloves that are warmer but once the wool quits keeping you warm there are other problems to deal with.............. like the big gobs of ice in all your line guides. I've always thought myself hardcore but once I'm looking at temps under 30* it's time to tie flies.

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  3. #3

    Default Re: Colder weather fishing gloves

    Expensive for gloves but I use Simms fingerless. http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/win...67.164.197.182
    I had Orvis fingerless fleece and wore them out. Bought the Simms ($34) a couple years ago. I like their length and the windstopper membrane. Fleece dries quick too. Nothing to keep my finger tips warm except a pocket. I guess growing up fishing in cold weather, I figure cold fingers comes with the territory.
    I also use a hand warmer. You light a stick and place it in the handwarmer in your pocket. Works ok for me.
    For the head, Simms again. Last year at Henry's was bitter cold especially with the wind. Went into W Y and bought this at Blue Ribbon Flies.
    http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/gor...tream_hat.html
    One of the best damn cold weather investment I made. Goretex +fleece = damn warm.
    $50 seems like a lot for a hat, but I'd rather spend the money and be warm, than a tight wad freezing my tush off. Same with spending $34 for fingerless gloves. I'm sure others out there have less expensive solutions. I went that same route for years.
    One more thing. For the neck, this year since I have 2 buffs already, I'm planning on using one for a neck/face warmer.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    5,402

    Default Re: Colder weather fishing gloves

    Hi Everyone,

    When in Alaska I used several different ways to keep my hands warm. The best glove was the neoprene skin diver gloves with fingers. This worked very well for operating boats, pulling up anchors or any active that got your hands wet. They don't offer the feel that you get with fingerless gloves when fishing. The big disadvantage was if you removed one and put it back on you had an instant cold hand.

    In my job we had technicians and mechanics who had to work outside all year around. That meant working in sub-zero weather. There were occasions that they had to chip whorefrost off of a tower so they could climb it. They had big mittens but some of the work required using bare hands. The best thing we found for this was chemical heat packs. They would used several to keep hands, feet and core warm. They can be expensive but it may be worth it for a few outings each winter.

    For fishing I think Mojo has it figured out. Use fingerless gloves of wool or fleece and carry one or two hand warmers. You do have to be careful that some of the chemical warmers can get up to 130 degrees. So if you put one next to your skin and cover it with a coat, it could get pretty warm.

    Frank

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    quiet corner, ct
    Posts
    8,915

    Default Re: Colder weather fishing gloves

    I use the fingerless ragg wool gloves for fly fishing, but when I ice fish, I use fleece gloves for a liner and rubber dishwashing gloves for the overmit
    The dishwashing gloves come in some lovely colors too

    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Southwest, VA
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Colder weather fishing gloves

    Mojo: I actually had looked at those gloves on line earlier today and liked the looks of them so I am glad to hear your reply. Now I will have to find time to make it down to the fly shop to try a pair on.

    Frank: What are some name brands of the chemical hand warmers that you are talking about? Curious so I can look them up and see where I can buy some.
    Thanks,
    Tuck

  7. #7

    Default Re: Colder weather fishing gloves

    Quote Originally Posted by ksigtuck View Post
    Mojo: I actually had looked at those gloves on line earlier today and liked the looks of them so I am glad to hear your reply. Now I will have to find time to make it down to the fly shop to try a pair on.

    Frank: What are some name brands of the chemical hand warmers that you are talking about? Curious so I can look them up and see where I can buy some.
    Thanks,
    Tuck
    For handwarmers, check out Zippo
    http://www.zippo.com/Products/handWarmer.aspx?bhcp=1
    or the solid fuel type which I use. It's rectangle about 4" long and a couple wide, has a red fabric cover, opens up and a black solid fuel stick fits in the middle. You light the stick until it glows red- like a charcoal briquette and place it in the cover and close it.
    I can't remember what the brand is, but you can get them at Wally world. Fuel sticks are pretty cheap too.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    16,177
    Blog Entries
    121

    Default Re: Colder weather fishing gloves

    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I use the fingerless ragg wool gloves for fly fishing, but when I ice fish, I use fleece gloves for a liner and rubber dishwashing gloves for the overmit
    The dishwashing gloves come in some lovely colors too

    Rip,

    You are indeed a fashion dynamo, and thrifty too.

    Ard

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    19,562
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Colder weather fishing gloves

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Expensive for gloves but I use Simms fingerless. http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/win...67.164.197.182
    I had Orvis fingerless fleece and wore them out. Bought the Simms ($34) a couple years ago. I like their length and the windstopper membrane. Fleece dries quick too. Nothing to keep my finger tips warm except a pocket. I guess growing up fishing in cold weather, I figure cold fingers comes with the territory.
    I also use a hand warmer. You light a stick and place it in the handwarmer in your pocket. Works ok for me.
    For the head, Simms again. Last year at Henry's was bitter cold especially with the wind. Went into W Y and bought this at Blue Ribbon Flies.
    http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/gor...tream_hat.html
    One of the best damn cold weather investment I made. Goretex +fleece = damn warm.
    $50 seems like a lot for a hat, but I'd rather spend the money and be warm, than a tight wad freezing my tush off. Same with spending $34 for fingerless gloves. I'm sure others out there have less expensive solutions. I went that same route for years.
    One more thing. For the neck, this year since I have 2 buffs already, I'm planning on using one for a neck/face warmer.
    Mojo: I use the Simms glove you have listed, I bought them in Alaska and they have worked great over the years. For a cold weather hat I use something similar to what you have listed but it is designed for dog mushers in Alaska, it works great when the temps drop.

    Larry

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan
    Posts
    2,584

    Default Re: Colder weather fishing gloves

    Fingerless wool is what I use the most...Also found some fingerless that had thinsulate in them, use those when it's real cold...For the rest I have a wool "Radar O'Reilly" cap, and the zip neck heavy weight polypro under polyfleece pullovers...

    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •