sling or fanny

randyk

Reaction score
Those of you out there that use Fishpond type packs, do you usually use them as sling packs, fanny packs or a combination of the two? For a trout fisherman, which way is most convenient?

Brewmaster

Reaction score
Hi randyk,

I have a Fishpond Windstalker chest pack and a Fishpond DoubleHaul Backpack/Chestpack combo. I actually swapped the larger Windstalker chestpack with the smaller chestpack from the DoubleHaul Backpack. I don't think the smaller chest pack is still being made, nor did it have a specific name different than the Windstalker (maybe it should be the Windcrawler?).

This way I use the smaller chestpack when I am fishing for a few hours or close to the vehicle where I can easily return to get other gear if required. The larger Windstalker chestpack I have used with the DoubleHaul backpack when I go out for an entire day (or more) and I need to take more gear with me to be able to change or repair issues that occur (along with food, drink, etc.).

To your specific question - I always wear the chestpack as a chestpack. I like to keep my chestpack high (not at my waist) so if I need to step into deeper water (or step into a hole!) I am not dunking my pack in the water. I also have had sling packs slide/pivot when you are bending over and get in the way of what you are working on. Note: hanging a chestpack around your neck will encourage you to travel lightly to avoid a stiff neck by the end of a long day.

hunter1

Reaction score
I have a fishpond chest pack and a josephs. I like it as a sling pack, it's out of the way when i cast and land a fish. I first used it as a chest pack. it felt awkward and sometimes got in the way.my wife uses a josephs as a sling also. I guesse it is what feels best for you. But i do the same if i'm in deep water, i just raise the straps so its on my chest.

ksigtuck

Reaction score
I have the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack and I fish it as a combination of both. I wear it as a fanny pack but wear the sling across my chest. THis way when I keep the bulk of the pack behind me and if I need anything from the pack I just slide it around my side. This pack is very comfortable and has a lot of storage. The only complaint that I have about it is that I have yet to find a way to hook my net to it that works for me.
Tuck

thonyb

Reaction score
hi. i have used the san juan fishpond pack. I now used the simms headwater chest pack. i use it as a sling. its really nice to have that lower strap to help hold it in place. when i fish i just push it behind me. then with no major effort i can swing it around and have access to everything. It has plenty of pockets.

hunter1

Reaction score
to ksigtuck. I use a leather loop i made and attached a quick release to the net like you get inthe fly shops for a vest . it hangs by my back hip till i need it. I only use that in big water. Most of the time i fish barbles or just dont use a net and release the fish carefully.

ksigtuck

Reaction score
to ksigtuck. I use a leather loop i made and attached a quick release to the net like you get inthe fly shops for a vest . it hangs by my back hip till i need it. I only use that in big water. Most of the time i fish barbles or just dont use a net and release the fish carefully.
I have been fishing mine with the neck rigged up from the net loop on the sling but just can't get comfortable with it there. I am going to try it hanging from my waist and see how I like it. I think it would be a lot more comfortable there.
Thanks
Tuck

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi randyk,

I have used a vest for years and years. That was all I had in Alaska. The problem with all those pockets is you will fill them up and the vest will weigh a ton before you know it. If you hike a lot it can be a pain.

In recent years I have been using a Chest Pack. I tried many including the slings but I like the one pictured the best. The pack is fairly small and it is not too wide to interfere with my swing arms. Many chest packs are too wide for my taste and they interfere with my arms. The ones that I always look for has a ring at the back of the neck to hang a net. To me that is one feature that any pack or vest must have.

The big advantage of the pictured pack is the harness setup. I can tighten the harness and the pack is tight against my chest. So when getting out of a boat or leaning over, the pack does not move or dangle like some. I wear mine mostly in my pontoon boat and I can wear it with no problem. My vest gets in the way so I seldom take it in the pontoon.

Frank

Last edited:

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi

My chest pack was sold by Orvis but they now have a new and improved version. I like the older version better. The new pack is a little larger and the straps arrangement is a little different. It is not that the new model is no good, I just like my model better.

Frank

Orvis Mesh-Backed Chest Pack

Joni

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have any fish pond, but I have Orvis Fanny, and Sling, and recently bought the WJ sling. I absolutely love slings. They are out of the way, don't wear on your hips, don't get wet if wading a little deeper, and convenient as heck. I can even ad a Hydration to my WJ.

Brewmaster

Reaction score
Hi randyk,

I have used a vest for years and years. That was all I had in Alaska. The problem with all those pockets is you will fill them up and the vest will weigh a ton before you know it. If you hike a lot it can be a pain.

In recent years I have been using a Chest Pack. I tried many including the slings but I like the one pictured the best. The pack is fairly small and it is not too wide to interfere with my swing arms. Many chest packs are too wide for my taste and they interfere with my arms. The ones that I always look for has a ring at the back of the neck to hang a net. To me that is one feature that any pack or vest must have.

The big advantage of the pictured pack is the harness setup. I can tighten the harness and the pack is tight against my chest. So when getting out of a boat or leaning over, the chest does not move or dangle like some. I wear mine mostly in my pontoon boat and I can wear it with no problem. My vest gets in the way so I seldom take it in the pontoon.

Frank

Frank,

The Orvis chestpack you show was the first chest pack I bought after years of using a regular vest. I agree with you, it is a very comfortable pack that worked real well for my travel and day fishing for several years - at least it did until my daughter permanently borrowed it from me !! ;)

Of course then my wife was forced to buy me a new Fishpond chestpack; so it all worked out OK in the big picture of things! I find using a smaller chestpack forces me to be more selective and keeps my gear load lighter.