Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default I need a new net....

Yesterday I netted so many fish...the handle broke off.....seriously....I have it zip tied back on.....but I don't have alot of $$$$ and would like to get a new net. One that is trout friendly.......where is the best deal ?
    if I'm not here...I'm on another line...with a fly on the end..

Default Re: I need a new net....

I don't use a net myself, but I've built a couple from kits for other people.
    They're fairly cheap and look good
    There use to be a number that you could choose from but this is the only one I found.
    Trout Net Kits

You could always make one from scratch too.
    I read somewhere recently where a guy talked about making one from veneer
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

I just got my first Brodin net - 18 inch hoop, ghost net, and about 30 inches in overall length. It was pricey (About $140) but it is far better than the old one I had that was much smaller and not built as well. I love the rubber net. Don't get flies hung up in it when netting fish and much better on the fish themselves. I know that cabella's and Bass Pro have similar nets for about 30-40 dollars. Don't know about the durability, though. My Brodin is very sturdy.

I have found when using only barbless hooks, that the flies almost never get caught in the mesh type net, and when they do it only takes a few seconds to un-hook them. I do occassionally get the soft mesh netting caught in the trout's teeth and have to free the fish.

I am attracted to the Brodin Ghost nets because I am hearing that the fish don't spook away from the ghost nets like they do from a black net (mesh or rubber) - the ease of use is just an extra benefit. My biggest concern though is the weight. I would like to avoid adding a lot more weight that will be hanging from the back of my chestpack neckstrap. I am currently using a Wolf Moon mesh net the same size as the Brodin Firehole; the Wolf Moon net only weighs 6oz.; what do the Brodin nets weigh? I sent Brodin an email a couple of days ago, but have not yet received a response.

Cabela's and BassPro sell a "ghost-style" net made by Frabill. I called Cabela's customer service and they advised that their "ghost-type" net weighs 15.5oz. - just under a pound. The Frabill nets they sell appear to be the same net; BassPro sells for $30 and Cabela's sells for $40.

I have the Frabill net from Bass Pro. For the money it is a very good net.

+1 on the Brodin Nets. They do cost a little more but are very well made.
    Tuck