Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Recommend me a Floating fly line?

1. Default Recommend me a Floating fly line?

I recently upgraded my old rod to a Sage xp 5 wt 9ft and galvan ob 3 reel.

Currently i am looking for a line to buy for it but honestly i am a little overwelmed with all the different brands types and even colours (Orange spooks fish? no wonder why i never catch anything! jk)

I only fish with dry flies and fish rivers, lakes, docks etc. and lately i have been fishing the St Clair river (in sarnia Ontario canada)

I want a high floating line that is easy to make long/accurate dry casts (my old line sinks at the end from over use and i find difficult to retrieve without rooster tailing, might be another reason i never catch anything) Should i use a Sage specific line? or are there better on the market?

Any suggestions are appreciated

Ryan

2. Default Re: Recommend me a Floating fly line?

I have found that different line works different with all the new rods out there. Sad but true, it is getting more difficult.
    I have narrowed mine down. I prefer Superfine WF line by Orvis (light gray color) on my 5wt and smaller, plus I like SYLK WF and DT on my slower rods.
    I have tried Wulff Triangle Taper, but I don't like the way it loads on my glass and boo. As far as 6 wt and heavier I go with the Orvis Long Belly WF (various colors).
    I don't know if I go along with the color of line scaring fish. Just use longer leaders, but then again I have never used the bright lines. I do use a glow in the dark line that works great anytime of the day (by Rio)

3. Default Re: Recommend me a Floating fly line?

Its not so much the color of the line as the shadow it makes. Any color of line will make a shadow on the bottom and thus any color of line can 'line a fish.'

As for brands, I like Orvis Silver label. Cheap and better memory (or lack of it) than Wonderline IMHO.

Mike