Best Saltwater / Flats clothing?

alexl993

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm off to Bahamas in June (yeah!) for some bonefishing. Can I get some specific recommendations/tips for you think is the best clothing: flats boots, shirt, plants, etc. -in fact everything!

Do you use a hip/chest/lumbar pack or just leave everything in the skiff?

Thanks!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Alex,
I'm jealous. Flats trips are awesome.

Clothing is pretty simple. Get yourself some quality clothing that packs well and is highly breathable. Even though I am a dark skinned Filipino, I prefer to cover myself up from head to toe.

Flats boots - Simms and Patagonia make quality ones. Try one one, and go from there. Just make sure to wear them a few days before your trip in order to break them in. There are specific flats socks that are marketed towards these boots, but I just use wool hiking socks.

Pants or shorts? - I wear pants more than shorts because I want more sun protection. If you choose to go with the convertible pants option, make sure the zippers are corrosion resistant. Simms and Patagonia make quality products, but I'm sure you can find others.

Shirts - I like wearing long sleeve collared shirts. The collars should be high for extra sun protection. If it gets warm, you could always roll up your sleeves. There are a number of good brands out there. Take your pick.

Neck gaitor - I am a big fan of Buff neck gaitors. They are highly breathable and UV resistant. Use it to cover up your neck and your lower face.

Hat - Get something with a long bill.

Sun gloves - Sun screen will eventually wear down. Cover your hands with a pair of sun gloves. Simms, Dr. Shade, and Buff make some good gloves.

I am a minimalist at heart. Whatever I can carry in my shirt pockets is what I will take. If I am going to be a good distance from the panga, I will use a lumbar pack. Simms, Patagonia, and Sage have lumbar packs that are either waterproof or highly water resistant.

Dennis

Edit: I always bring a packable rain jacket. I like jackets made with a Gore Pac Lite membrane or some similar lightweight waterproof and breathable membrane. Sometimes those squalls can make for a cold and wet boat ride.

Last edited:

gt05254

Reaction score
If you can, get button down collar shirts. Zooming around in a skiff, if you don't have button downs, you will get beat to death by the collar ends or you'll end up holding your shirt collar instead of your seat (boat seat).

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
All good advise. Two things: neoprene slip-on gravel cuffs over your Simms wet-wade socks then folded over the tops of the Patagonia Marle Walkers will keep the fine marle and sand out of you boots and have back-up sunglasses; one copper or rose copper and one amber. Smiths are good. Ditto on the long-billed hat.

gt05254

Reaction score
Oh, and DON'T forget the heaviest duty sunscreen you can buy. And lip balm sunscreen, too. Re-apply ALL day long.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

LOL, and I am SO the opposite of Dennis. I take two rod/reel set-ups (usually a 7 and a 9) and waterproof boat bag; mine is from Orvis. I put my lumbar pack in it, along with other stuff that I'll never use. Man, it can rain HARD down there!

Gary

BigCliff

Reaction score
Alex,
I'm jealous. Flats trips are awesome.

Clothing is pretty simple. Get yourself some quality clothing that packs well and is highly breathable. Even though I am a dark skinned Filipino, I prefer to cover myself up from head to toe.

Flats boots - Simms and Patagonia make quality ones. Try one one, and go from there. Just make sure to wear them a few days before your trip in order to break them in. There are specific flats socks that are marketed towards these boots, but I just use wool hiking socks.

Pants or shorts? - I wear pants more than shorts because I want more sun protection. If you choose to go with the convertible pants option, make sure the zippers are corrosion resistant. Simms and Patagonia make quality products, but I'm sure you can find others.

Shirts - I like wearing long sleeve collared shirts. The collars should be high for extra sun protection. If it gets warm, you could always roll up your sleeves. There are a number of good brands out there. Take your pick.

Neck gaitor - I am a big fan of Buff neck gaitors. They are highly breathable and UV resistant. Use it to cover up your neck and your lower face.

Hat - Get something with a long bill.

Sun gloves - Sun screen will eventually wear down. Cover your hands with a pair of sun gloves. Simms, Dr. Shade, and Buff make some good gloves.

I am a minimalist at heart. Whatever I can carry in my shirt pockets is what I will take. If I am going to be a good distance from the panga, I will use a lumbar pack. Simms, Patagonia, and Sage have lumbar packs that are either waterproof or highly water resistant.

Dennis

Edit: I always bring a packable rain jacket. I like jackets made with a Gore Pac Lite membrane or some similar lightweight waterproof and breathable membrane. Sometimes those squalls can make for a cold and wet boat ride.
Great advice there.

A few additional points:

Pants also prevent stings from jellyfish tentacles. Its really not a huge concern, but a nice bonus on top of the sun protection.

Boots- whether to go with lace up or zip-off depends on how you're going to be fishing. If you're going to be wading the whole time, you're better off with the more supportive lace-up variety. If you're going to do some fishing off a skiff, I'd recommend zip-offs so you can be barefoot on the boat. Its amazing how much of a help it is to be able to feel when you're stepping on your fly line. These look good- Simms Fishing Products : : Zipit Bootie These are less travel friendly, but I've been EXTREMELY pleased with these- Ray Guard Reef Boots

Buff- definitely get one, or two. I like lighter colors so they're cooler in the sun.

Lumbar pack- I prefer to keep all gear in one, because if you load down shirt pockets, your shirt sticks to you instead of blowing in the breeze. I don't like the ones that are super water-safe, because the zippers are a PITA. I'd sooner have a easier access pack and keep my phone in one of these- Dry Pak GPS/PDA/SmartPhone Case