Need a Recommendation on a Good Float Tube

Pocono

Reaction score
It looks like I'm going to be chasing trout and smallmouths around on some of the ponds and small lakes up here in Maine this Summer, so I need to get a good float tube.

I have absolutely no experience at all with them, so I'm starting from scratch. I figure that most of these ponds are going to be in the 5-20 acre size range and many of them will be choked with lilly pads and other water plants.

What do you recommend for a tube and for "essential" peripherals?

Thanks,

Pocono

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Pocono,
Are you dead set on a tube? If not....I would consider going with a kick boat, or at the very least a U-Tube.

Round tubes can be much more cumbersome to get around in, and if you've got weed growth your gonna have a tougher time motating with your legs down deeper getting tangled up.

rocknrone

Reaction score
I have a round tube, caddis u tube, and a fish cat 4.

Round tubes suck. They sit low in the water, slow to manuver, a pain to get in and out of.
You can get them used for $25 around here.

U tubes are better in every way. If the ponds have moss around the edges a u tube is what you want. I got my caddis used for $50.

Fish cat 4 is the cadillac of float tubes. Cuts through the water better, sits a bit higher, carries extra gear like rods, cooler of goodies, etc. The seat is 2" thick foam, enables an all day trip on your back side. Thicker bladders, better valves. I paid full pop for mine, I couldn't find one used.

If your fishing bigger lakes skip the tube and get a pontoon. Local craigslist has them from $150 to $800.

Jimmie

Reaction score
The hottest new one at our club is the Scadden Outlaw Escape.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqi9uYhr1lU]YouTube - ‪DAVE SCADDENS OUTLAW ESCAPE‬‏[/ame]
The oars make a huge difference if the wind comes up.

Pocono

Reaction score
Nice looking tube/toon, Jimmie.

It sort of lifts the bar though; from the $100-200 category to the the $500-800 category. I'm not sure that I'll need oars to poke around the small ponds up here; but I do like having the option.

Pocono

---------- Post added at 06:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

Pocono,
Are you dead set on a tube? If not....I would consider going with a kick boat, or at the very least a U-Tube.

Round tubes can be much more cumbersome to get around in, and if you've got weed growth your gonna have a tougher time motating with your legs down deeper getting tangled up.
Fysh,

No, I was always considering a U-tube; not a round one. The Fish Cat 4 had my full attention, but now my "friend" Jimmie has dangled an attractive hybrid option; the Outlaw Escape.....................

Pocono

mbphotos54

Reaction score
Figure I can add this here since it is mostly on topic. I have wondered if a float tube would be a good way to get past the deeper parts of the creek I am going to be fishing, most of it is wadable but a being able to float over the sections deeper the armpits would be nice, has anyone used a tube like this? Iam also looking at inflatable kayaks, so I dont have to hual my 14 fter down the creek:D
mike

mudbug

Reaction score
Figure I can add this here since it is mostly on topic. I have wondered if a float tube would be a good way to get past the deeper parts of the creek I am going to be fishing, most of it is wadable but a being able to float over the sections deeper the armpits would be nice, has anyone used a tube like this? Iam also looking at inflatable kayaks, so I dont have to hual my 14 fter down the creek:D
mike

maybe some of these...

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Allan,looks like we all convinced you to buy a floatube:)
Long ago I was pulling a friend of mine in a float tube tied to my boat....when we passed by two guys fishing on the bank...they started laughing and one of they told the other" Look at that! a dwarf in a dinghy!!!":D:D:D

FlyBum

Reaction score
Vince- Since you mentioned lilly pads I'm going to vote for a pontoon. I used to bass fish a lot in a pond near my office that was full weeds. With the toon I could paddle right into the weeds and back out easily. Matter of fact I was able to get into places in the weeds that others wouldn't even try using very shallow oar strokes. I was not fly fishing so this would allow me to flip for bass in thick cover where few others couldn't fish. I even took that pontoon into the California Delta. A friend of mine was a professional bass fisherman and guide on the Deta, he'd call me once in a while when he'd find a place he knew would be a good for the toon.

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm going to be different and suggest that you get a kayak. (or 2 :D)
I've fished right where you live, and in my opinion you'd be far better off
Go down to Bean's and see what they have, or better yet take a day and go to the OldTown factory store and get a "second", 50% off.

mojo

Reaction score
Check here -
davescadden2010catalog
Pocono, before you decide, like Jimmie says, do yourself a favor and check out Northfork Outdoors Escape.
6' long, 22 lb.
Bladderless, 3 air chambers - both sides plus the seating area. 500 lb. capacity and it keeps your keister out of the water.
More expensive than most others, but it's the preminum upgrade and float tube. Comes with 2 waterproof and insulated side bags.
It does come with oars, but you don't need to put them on.
If you want anymore info, pm me, plus I know of some one that's selling one.
(not Joni).
Then you'll need some fins, a PFD, and your waders.
BTW, the You Tube vid Jimmie posted has Larry Tullis in the seat. I know Larry quite well, and if you've ever met him, he's quite a "portly" gentleman. The Escape has no problem floating him.

Pocono

Reaction score
Thanks Mojo; the Escape looks just right for my needs; the oars will get me across the lilly pads and will also get me onto some of the bigger lakes.

I never thought I'd be pond/lake fishing, but here I am - you fish what's available. The video from Jimmie is impressive. You're right, the guy in the tube is no lightweight! At 185 lbs, I don't think it will be low on bouyancy for me.......

Now I need a good price, since the Fish Cat 4 was where I was headed.

Pocono