Creek Company ODC 420 vs. Fish Cat 4 LCS?

bugman53

Reaction score
Hello:

Looking for any and all commentary on these two float boats...bottom line: Which is better and why, as they appear to be directly competing products.

Thanks to all,

Dennis

martin trj

Reaction score
I own a Fish Cat and it does have a couple of, in my humble opinion, design issues but it was the only option at the fly shop.
I'm reading about the ODC and it looks like a nice float, I like the gear bags, lots of zippers for all your stuff and the apron looks like a whole lot better than the one the Fish Cat has. If I were in your place I'd try to find out if the storage area and seat of the ODC stays dry, if that's the case I'd choose it over the FC. Hope this helps

bugman53

Reaction score
Martin:

Thanks...very helpful. In surfing, I saw some remarks about that issue and will have to ask a pal who has one, and seems generally pleased, about that. So far, its adding up that the 420 is the way to go.

Cheers,

Dennis

martin trj

Reaction score
I took the float to the lake again and this time I wore swim shorts and got me a dry bag, that took care of the problems. Still having issues with the apron. What have you decided?

caseywise

Reaction score
IMHO,
the fishcat 4 is a better boat in all aspects except for the apron. ive written the outcast company multiple times questioning their resoning for the apron change, and have had no response.
the boat itself is outstanding, so i would say give it a shot.

casey

bugman53

Reaction score
Guys, thanks....one comment I've seen suggesting an edge for the ODC is that the seat is solid, encased styrofoam or similar and the Cat must be inflated, suggesting a less stable comfortable seat and something else to leak. What say ye?

Dennis

martin trj

Reaction score
The regular fish cat also comes with a solid foam seat and after couple of hours it does become a little bit uncomfortable but it's nothing to hate all that much. The Deluxe version comes with the inflatable seat.

webrx

Reaction score
I have a cumberland, my buddy has a fishcat, he hates the stripping net, and the lack of a rod out front to keep the tube from closing in on you. He is in the process of selling his fish cat to get a cumberland. I thought I would throw this in there, as I really like my cumberland, and while the foam seat takes a few outings to break in it is a superb float tube and can be gotten for $200 or less.

Dave

bugman53

Reaction score
Thanks, Martin....the trouble with all this, of course, is finding an outlet that has both products side by side "on the showroom floor", so to speak and being able to compare. Thanks to all for your remarks here!

Dennis

webrx

Reaction score
Just thought I would clarify, while my buddy does not like the stripping net, he does like the fishcat for the most part. He didhave an issue with a bladder springing a leak, he called up, and a new tube was sent he had it in a couple days. You cant beat that kind of customer service. I have a couple creek company items I have purchased over the years, and can not complain about the quality. I personally like having a bar in front to prevent the tube from closing up, but CC has a patented strap system (i have it on my uboat) that also works to prevent this. As said above, ideally, comparing side by side is the best method. Best of luck in your search and decision.

d