Great Products

Pocono

Reaction score
Every now and then you come across a product that's really good for fly fishing; good for you, good for the fish, good for the environment; just a great product.

For me one such product is the rubber landing net. When they first came out, I purchased one with the belief that it would be easier on the trout; not as abrasive, less apt to remove the slime coating from the scales, less apt to get gill tangles, etc. And I think it's turned out to be exactly what I thought it would be.

It's also turned out to be more than I expected.

One of the really nice "extras" with rubber nets is that most of the trout that I bring to the net self-release once they're in the net. I fish barbless or pinched-down-barb hooks all of the time, but I'm still not sure what's going on here. It really hit me last week when I was fishing everything from a #20 Griffith's Gnat to a #8 Chernobyl Ant. I was getting self-releases with whatever fly/fish combination I had in my net.

What I do know about the combination of barbless hooks and rubber nets is that a good 75% of my fish free themselves within 15 seconds of being landed. I keep my net and the fish in the water during the landing/freeing process, so I think that probably helps. But, I also think that most of the credit belongs to the net material itself.

I use a Brodin Pro Firehole and I could not be happier with this product.

What do the rest of you think about rubber landing nets? Anyone else with the same self-release experience?

Pocono

dean_mt

Reaction score
Very interesting observation, Allan. Do think that this "self release" has happened more than enough times to not call this a coincidence? I just cannot figure out how the net material would cause the fish to spit a hook! But I will venture on guess.

The stiffer basket of the plastic net gives more support to the fish. Plus you have the Firehole, which is a true "C&R" style net, meaning a long shallow basket. This supports the fish better, keeping them lying on their side in a relatively prone fashion (if indeed a fish can be prone...I know, this is getting weird!) and not sagging deeply into the net and curling into a "fish fetal" position.

So how does this make the fish remove the hook? I can almost imagine that the supported body of the fish helps by easing the tension on a taut leader because the fish isn't sagging and struggling in the net, when the leader tension on the hook goes slack the barbless hook is "spit" or shaken loose. Does anyone buy that?

You should send Brodin an email and see what they think.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Allan,saw your net when we fished together...and I ordered a Brodin Gallantin which is a little bigger to land big chub...been using it for two months... completely satisfied:thmbup:so satisfied that I was thinking about posting a review about it.I also noticed that many fish self released in the net...so hats off to Brodin:)

littledavid123

Reaction score
Allen

I have a Brodin Ghost Gallatin and like yourself fish barb less. It didn't take long to learn that leaving the fish alone in the net for maybe 10 seconds underwater, more than half will free themselves from the hook.

I purchased the net for 2 reasons.
1. To do away with death grips and put less stress on the fish.
2. I can take pictures of the fish without having to wait until they are too weak to flop.

I am sure that taking the tension off the hook plays a part, but I also suspect (dependent upon where they are hooked) the fish can spit some of them out.

Now for the hard part, catching my lovely wife in just the right mood to say yes to a waterproof camera. :D

Dave

Pocono

Reaction score
Glad to see that others are having the same "self-release" experience with these rubber nets.

Any more ideas as to why it's happening?

As I said above, barbless hooks obviously play a role, but there has to be something about the action of the fish in the net that lets them throw the hook once the pressure of the line is off.

Pocono

texastroutbum

Reaction score
Dave,
I am with you in that I am a firm believer of the motto "Happy wife is happy life." But my wife begin to be suspicious of my recent purchase of things related with fly fishing when she finds out that I am using those things more often than she does. Perhaps I can tell her that I need a brodin net to help her to get back to fishing right away. (My net is old style one and it sometimes got my small hooks and it took me a while to remove them.) I will be using this one more often but it is for HER.

I don't know it will fly but it is worth trying. :secret:

Allen, or anybody up there,
I have seen Brodin Ghost series but did not have a chance to see the one you have. I assume that the firehole model's net is made of rubber. Did you compared firehole with other brodin nets before your purchase? If you did, I want to know what makes you to go for the firehole or ghost model?

I am leaning toward gellatin model after I find that this type of net is more conducive to C and R.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Hey Texastroutbum, your axiom is the truth! A couple things: go to the Brodin website and in the "news / info" section you can find out about the Ghost bags - those are the clear plastic "nets" -- you can purchase only the bag and tie it onto your current net frame (they offer instructions). It's a pretty sweet option if you have a solid frame, for $25 it's a big upgrade. Second thing, if you come to Montana to fish the Gallatin (GAL-a-tin) make sure you do not ask for directions to the Gellatin River!:secret: Pretty sure you'll be sent somewhere far away. :eek:

As for shape of the net hoop, I am also curious as to why people choose what they do. In the end I think the most important aspect is practical - which shape appeals to your sense of aesthetics most and what size is best for your purpose.

But I do notice that the long narrow frame is often referred to as a "C & R" and not the teardrop hoops. I think this is because they are designed for the fish to lay relatively flat in the long, shallow net bag as opposed to the deep nets that curl the fish.

texastroutbum

Reaction score
Dean, how did you know that I am planning to visit Gelatin river? Anyway, what I meant to ask was What is the major difference between pro series of brodin and Ghost series, namely black bag vs. translucent bags? Just different color? Different type of rubber?

dean_mt

Reaction score
The Gelatin has pretty tough wading conditions, watch your step!

I believe the Ghost series is named such simply because of the clear thermoplastic net bag. I image they are the same frame as the Pro series, which has the traditional knot-less, soft nylon net.

But I am going to call Brodin with some other questions, namely: why is the Streambase net 40% less expensive than the Pro?

texastroutbum

Reaction score
Dean, I just called Brodin and find out that the bag of Pro series and streambase is made of nylon while Ghost is made of rubber. The person told me that if I want to avoid hook stuck the Ghost series is better.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I agree with Dean on how the fish lay in the net makes a difference. With the Gallatin the fish stay stretched out instead of curled in the bottom, stick their head upstream and they stay calm.

Dave

dean_mt

Reaction score
Hey Dave, up to what size trout do you think you could reasonably handle in the Gallatin? I see that the hoop is 17" long...so how deep is the bag on that. I mean could you scoop a 20" fish into there? Not that I scoop up a whole lot of 20 inchers...but you never know!

And Allan, I think you said you had the Gallatin as well...so I'd like you feed back too. I like that style, but I still love the Trout and Cutt models too...

I just spoke to Brodin and the low end nets are only three ply frame hoops and they do not recommend replacing the nylon net bag with a ghost...so I might just have to go all in!

Thanks.

Last edited:

littledavid123

Reaction score
Hey Dave, up to what size trout do you think you could reasonably handle in the Gallatin? I see that the hoop is 17" long...so how deep is the bag on that. I mean could you scoop a 20" fish into there? Not that I scoop up a whole lot of 20 inchers...but you never know!

And Allan, I think you said you had the Gallatin as well...so I'd like you feed back too. I like that style, but I still love the Trout and Cutt models too...

I just spoke to Brodin and the low end nets are only three ply frame hoops and they do not replacing the bag with a ghost...so I might just have to go all in!

Thanks.
Dean

I wouldn't have a problem controlling a 24-26 inch fish, there is enough stretch in the ghost net to absorb his energy when flopping. I have a technique for landing that works well for me. Hold the net like a knife fighter (palm up) and keep it out of the water. When you have the fish surf boarding to you, thrust quickly parallel to and just under the fish. He will never see it coming.:)

Dave

Pocono

Reaction score
I, too, have a clear rubber net, so based on the info that's been posted to this thread (and the info on Brodin's website), what I actually have is a ghost series Firehole net.

I chose the longer, thinner net for exactly the reasons that have been mentioned by other posters; that's the shape of most fish. They can lay out straight and, I think, get a better freedom of motion in the net.

Anyway, I really appreciate the self-release characteristic of the rubber nets; it's a great step ahead as far as I'm concerned.

My wife has one, too. And she gets self-releases on most of her netted fish.

Pocono

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'm gonna throw a new category out there: waterproof phone pouches

I've got one of these, called a "Dry Pak", and I couldn't be happier with it.

(I use mine without the neck lanyard)

It slides into my butt pack alongside my fly boxes, you can work a touchscreen through to plastic, and mine has never leaked, despite being submerged multiple times. I can't say that about other pouches I've spent more than twice as much for.

Best part? Its about $10. Found mine at Academy.

I keep my fishing license in it all the time, and it sits underneath the phone in the pouch.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Pocono,
I have an older rubber mesh boat net that works great, it's like an aquarium when releasing fish, but sometimes I do have to keep the fish upright for a few until they gain their equalibrium. Another thing I like is that flies do not get caught up in the mesh, especially helpful with tandem rigs.:thumbsup:

Can I buy a Ghost bag to restring my Brodin which has the old cotton mesh?