Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: vest and boxes

1. Default vest and boxes

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these 2 items from Cabela's.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...117&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...550&hasJS=true

Also I'd love to know what other people are using for gear storage.

Default Re: vest and boxes

Hey smallie311,
    I have to say I usually like Cabela's products for the most part. I have never used their vest but I have bought a similiar fly box from Cabela's. It's a basic box that holds your flies. Definitely, not water or shock proof in anyway. I like the looks of the vest and as I said I usually am pretty happy with Cabela's products.

Look at the following link to see the vest I use:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=1744

Hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"
    Henry David Thoreau

"Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these 2 items from Cabela's." The vest is well feathered for the price. It would serve you as a first vest. One thing I don't like about the main, bottom compartments for holding large fly boxes. The zipper is just across the top. I much prefer a vest that these pockets have the zippers going all the way around and down the inside end of the pocket. If the zipper operates up wards, you only have to open the end and slip the box into the pocket and then close the zipper. For me this is a lot more convenient when using big fly boxes. -------Frank

Also, (and I may take some flak on this one) I would suggest the Scientific Angler X Fly boxes. Waterproof and shockprook and you can see your flies and know where they are when locating different fly boxes.

Check it out:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ucts/FlyBoxes/

Hope this helps.
    Later,
    Terry
    "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"
    Henry David Thoreau

5. Default Re: vest and boxes

I had looked at the System X boxes but seemed a bit pricey, might be worth it though as I've had plenty of cheaper plastic boxes break while bass fishing.

Does anyone have a picture of the difference between the nymph/dry box and the standard one?

I have the vest and it is very comfortable, and lots of room... I especially like the separate compartment for spare spools or reels. I also have the fly box... It is a bit big and havy for my tastes but does make a good streamer/bugger box

7. Default Re: vest and boxes

I use a system X box for my lake flies and I like it. It is built stong. I used to wear a vest then I started using a chest pack. I like the chest pack better because I used to carry way more stuff then I needed in the vest and it was extrax weight.
    Mitch

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*

smallie311,
    Here is a link that should show the difference between the two boxes.

System X Fly Boxes

Hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    Henry David Thoreau