Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Waders: Simms Vs. Orvis

Default Re: Best Waders: Simms Vs. Orvis

Hi Everyone,

Several years ago Fly Fisherman magazine did a extensive test of the available breather waders on the market. The Simms were way ahead on breathabilaty. I bought a pair of the LL Bean Iron Clad or something like that. They didn't have neoprene booties. I sent them back as soon as I got them out of the package. There was no doubt that they were going to be tough but they were way too stiff.

Simm's are the only non-neoprene waders I have owned and I don't see any reason to try another brand.

Frank

I had three pair of Orvis ProGuide series waders. The first three pair leaked after limited trips and what I would consider "easy" usage for me on waders. Orvis sent me a 4th pair of their PG's when the 3rd pair leaked on me during a trip. On that trip I bought a pair of G3's because I needed some boots and was not going to buy another pair of Orvis waders because I just got wet on yet another pair.

I give Orvis credit, they sent me another pair (which I just traded for a rod), but I never wore them. Went to the G3's and have not looked back. Kept them as a back up pair for a while but figured they were never going to get out of the closet with those G3's.

Another item mentioned here is the fit. Those G3's fit excellent - like a pair of pants. I love them, their breathability, their durability, and their functionality.

Great waders.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    x2
    If funds were tight, I'd likely get the LL Bean $100 option.

This is what I wanted to buy but at the time they were out of stock and a month out from being in stock. So I went down to BPS to buy some of their waders they had on sale for $50 thinking that they would last me long enough, but instead I bought THESE since they were on sale for $100.

Unlike the LL Bean $100 wader these have reinforced seat and knees, and so far they have made me happy.

Who knows, I may take them out next spring and find they leak though.

If you have the cash, go for the simms. I'll eventually do that myself. Till then my bass pro waders will have to do. They leaked before the first season was over. I coated all the seams with aquaseal which worked but noticed a wet spot on my right knee the other day. The bass pro neoprenes have been good though, no leaks yet.
    Okiemountaineer

5. Default Re: Best Waders: Simms Vs. Orvis

Both of theses brands have good customers review, but I think that Simms is better then Orvis waders, course Orvis waders little bit cheaper then Simms, but actually price difference not a lot. some my friends buy Simms from USA, this cheaper if you buy locally, but have a risk to lose your waders or they will arrive with damage, so this mean that need to use UPS service, this service not cheap but fast and safe.....New Orvis pro guide waders cost arond £350 but Simms G3 £490, so what is my experience, I had Orvis Silver label waders, they good but you have to try before buy it, because they have too short inseams, so better need buy longer versions. Few time I been use Simms G3 waders, they simple very good, warm if fishing in cold water even if you will stay in the water long time, so next time I sure that will buy only Simms waders......

beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

As many have said before me, a lot depends on your budget. Personally, I've owned both Simms and Orvis waders, and had great luck with both. I also have a pair of Chotas that have done an outstanding job of enduring through a year or two of my style of occasional "brush-busting" fishing.

In terms of wading boots, I'd give the nod to any of the three listed above. Solid customer service and support, and quality products, especially on the higher end.

Just my thoughts... Jerry, aka hairwing530

I would take my Redington Sonic Pros over anything Simms has, that is my personal preference. As for the Orvis, you buy them once and you are set for life because if you ever have an issue you just bring them back for a replacement.

There are many good waders out on the market today; I think the key is taking care of your waders after use by hanging and let dry, wash them....etc. My preference would be Simms.
    Popperfly >-<(((((*>

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

I think that popperfly makes a very valid point... The key to the longevity of any pair of waders is taking care of them. A few of my fly-fishing "friends/cronies" are relentless in their reminders that their "insert name here" have lasted as long or in a few cases, outlasted waders costing three or four times as much. And, their secret, say they, is that their waders are privy to being dried out properly and taken care of as they should be. I can't say that I can argue with them on that point, as the "cronies" tend to be meticulous about taking care of their gear-- waders, rods, reels, lines... you name it!

So, go with your gut. If you like the style and fit of the waders, and they carry a decent warranty and come in under budget, give them a shot...

10. Likes woodrivertroutbum liked this post

Glad to see all the G3 love. Just picked up a pair this weekend and can't wait to get them wet. Need to get that new look and smell off of them as quickly as possible.

Mike

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast