Best Waders: Simms Vs. Orvis

dsssox13

Reaction score
Who has the better waders? im looking to get my first pair of waders and i dont want to go cheap on a brand just to save a little money, and have them create problems. What is the preferred brand? Thanks a lot.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think you would go wrong with either brand, that said I think Simms is the leader. Personally, I own a pair of Orvis waders, primarily because when I bought them they had a waist high version (I do most of my fishing from a drift boat) and hardly ever wade deep, besides Orvis was offering almost a $100 dollar discount at the time.

Larry

wvfishn

Reaction score
I've never owned the Simms or Orvis, but I have a pair of Gander Mt. Guide Series light weight which I've used for about 6 seasons. They have yet to fail me, but they are light weight and not intended to be used during cold months. I paid about $130 (boots and waders), and have been pretty pleased with them. See what the other guys say, but maybe stop by your local Gander Mt. store and check these out before you buy. Just my opinion.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Sox,

I wore Orvis 4mm Guide Weight neoprene waders for many years and always loved them, the only leaks I ever had I caused.

Then I went to light weight waders, I have owned two kinds in the past ten years; I got 8 years out of a pair of LL Bean Wicked Tough waders and have now replaced them with a pair of Simms G3 waders which I like very much.

The Orvis waders cost 225 in the late eighties through the last year they were made (around) 1997.

The LL Bean Wicked Tough (and they were) cost 365 I think, in 2002.

The Simms cost 399 last fall, so if you want really good ones be ready at the cash drawer. I have read posts from people who get by fine using very affordable waders and I am glad to hear they have found a product that preforms for them. I am hard on my waders and do not want to find a leak in my seat or knees because I didn't get the best I could, so I save my money and get the good stuff when it comes to waders. Nothing will ruin an outing like discovering that your left leg is filling with water.

Ard

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Simms pretty much owns the fly fishing industry when it comes to premium waders. The main selling point is that every premium wader uses Gore Tex Pro Shell Technology membranes. In regards to waterproofness, other quality membranes could match it. When it comes to breathability, Gore Tex Pro is the best. When it comes to membranes, everyone knows Gore Tex.

Simms offers a Gore membraned wader called the Rivershed at the $299 price point. It uses an earlier version of Gore Tex, but it still is a Gore membraned wader.

MP

canine

Reaction score
I haven't used Orvis waders, so I can't comment on them, but i love my Simms G3's. I found mine for about $100 off at a closeout. I had previously gone thru 2 pairs of Cabelas guide waders in 3 years (seams kept leaking. don't know if it was me or something about the waders). So I jumped at the chance to get simms. They fit so much better. They aren't as baggy, yet they don't bind. So it is easier to move in the water and stand in swifter currents. They breathe well. I can, and do, wear them year round in complete comfort. One of my top 3 fishing related purchases.

turner66

Reaction score
My story is similar to Ard's. Having previously used hip waders, my first premium waders were Orvis neoprene's. It was 1989-90 and at $250(+-), they were among the best. I don't even recall if there was really anything much better at the time... I used them regularly for 9 yrs before moving south, where it was too warm to use them most of the year. Funny thing is, even after all this time, I still have them, and they occasionally still get used when it gets cold enough, or on a winter trip back home. It is a true testament to how well they were made back then.

Then, I went through a few cheaper pairs of lightweight waders before settling on Simms G3 convertibles. These are by far the best I've owned. Simms has a very broad range of sizes and I was able to find exactly the right fit. To me, there's few things worse than fishing a pair of waders that don't fit quite right... Performance of the Simms Goretex material is fantastic, and the construction is second to none. Initial price was a little tough to swallow, but after fishing them, was soon forgotten.

I can't comment on the Orvis breathables, or today's Orvis wader quality; maybe someone else can say more about that. But I can highly recommend the Simms. Good luck with your decision.

cattech89

Reaction score
I have a pair of Orvis Silverlabel II stockingfoot waders. Not wanting to spend a load of money on my first set of waders ever, I opted for Ebay. I was able to buy an Orvis set of waders still new in packing, but was not able to find a set of boots to match so I bought a pair of Simms boots. Sacriledge I know. :D
So far they have been awesome!!!!!!
Quality is excellent. The legs have extra layers in the high wear areas, i.e. the knees, rump area. Yet everything is so light and flexible. (From all I have heard and read Orvis has one of the better warranties in the business. But having not actually needed the warranty I can't actually give my personal opinion on it. Sorry.)
I was wanting a set of Simms but after stumbling on these Orvis waders I will definitely be considering Orvis for my next wader purchase. Hopefully though it wont be for quite a while though.
All said I would definitely recommend Orvis.:thumbsup:

BigCliff

Reaction score
Simms pretty much owns the fly fishing industry when it comes to premium waders. The main selling point is that every premium wader uses Gore Tex Pro Shell Technology membranes. In regards to waterproofness, other quality membranes could match it. When it comes to breathability, Gore Tex Pro is the best. When it comes to membranes, everyone knows Gore Tex.

Simms offers a Gore membraned wader called the Rivershed at the $299 price point. It uses an earlier version of Gore Tex, but it still is a Gore membraned wader.

MP
x2

I'm currently still using a pair of Simms Guides I got in 2001. If they gave up, I'd likely get the Rivershed.

If funds were tight, I'd likely get the LL Bean $100 option.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Several years ago Fly Fisherman magazine did a extensive test of the available breather waders on the market. The Simms were way ahead on breathabilaty. I bought a pair of the LL Bean Iron Clad or something like that. They didn't have neoprene booties. I sent them back as soon as I got them out of the package. There was no doubt that they were going to be tough but they were way too stiff.

Simm's are the only non-neoprene waders I have owned and I don't see any reason to try another brand.

Frank

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I had three pair of Orvis ProGuide series waders. The first three pair leaked after limited trips and what I would consider "easy" usage for me on waders. Orvis sent me a 4th pair of their PG's when the 3rd pair leaked on me during a trip. On that trip I bought a pair of G3's because I needed some boots and was not going to buy another pair of Orvis waders because I just got wet on yet another pair.

I give Orvis credit, they sent me another pair (which I just traded for a rod), but I never wore them. Went to the G3's and have not looked back. Kept them as a back up pair for a while but figured they were never going to get out of the closet with those G3's.

Another item mentioned here is the fit. Those G3's fit excellent - like a pair of pants. I love them, their breathability, their durability, and their functionality.

Great waders.

mudbug

Reaction score
x2
If funds were tight, I'd likely get the LL Bean $100 option.

This is what I wanted to buy but at the time they were out of stock and a month out from being in stock. So I went down to BPS to buy some of their waders they had on sale for $50 thinking that they would last me long enough, but instead I bought THESE since they were on sale for $100.

Unlike the LL Bean $100 wader these have reinforced seat and knees, and so far they have made me happy.

Who knows, I may take them out next spring and find they leak though.

jcw355

Reaction score
If you have the cash, go for the simms. I'll eventually do that myself. Till then my bass pro waders will have to do. They leaked before the first season was over. I coated all the seams with aquaseal which worked but noticed a wet spot on my right knee the other day. The bass pro neoprenes have been good though, no leaks yet.

vad111

Reaction score
Both of theses brands have good customers review, but I think that Simms is better then Orvis waders, course Orvis waders little bit cheaper then Simms, but actually price difference not a lot. some my friends buy Simms from USA, this cheaper if you buy locally, but have a risk to lose your waders or they will arrive with damage, so this mean that need to use UPS service, this service not cheap but fast and safe.....New Orvis pro guide waders cost arond £350 but Simms G3 £490, so what is my experience, I had Orvis Silver label waders, they good but you have to try before buy it, because they have too short inseams, so better need buy longer versions. Few time I been use Simms G3 waders, they simple very good, warm if fishing in cold water even if you will stay in the water long time, so next time I sure that will buy only Simms waders......

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I would take my Redington Sonic Pros over anything Simms has, that is my personal preference. As for the Orvis, you buy them once and you are set for life because if you ever have an issue you just bring them back for a replacement.

popperfly

Reaction score
There are many good waders out on the market today; I think the key is taking care of your waders after use by hanging and let dry, wash them....etc. My preference would be Simms.

Sep

Reaction score
Glad to see all the G3 love. Just picked up a pair this weekend and can't wait to get them wet. Need to get that new look and smell off of them as quickly as possible.

Mike

mysticm

Reaction score
All have made good points, but one to reinforce is 'Don't forget the overall fit / design of the wader when making your choice'. Each company, model has features (pockets, D loops, hand warmer lining etc) that you personally may deem a requirement.

I love technology and the ePTFE based laminates in the GoreTex waders really give me the jollies. It is pretty cool to see such elegant use of fundamental laws of physics.

After using a pair of Orvis for the first couple of years of my FF life, I switched over to SIMMS entry level GoreTex waders and have been extremely satisfied in their durability, waterproofing / breathability and overall fit. The SIMMS fits my body better than the older Orvis pair and has just right amount of fabric weight, compressability, features etc.

The most important tip I can offer is - Don't buy a pair w/o first trying them on in the local fly shop. Saving a few bucks on something like this is not worth it in my opinion.