Best way to clean felt wading shoes?

ant

Reaction score
I just used my felt bottom wading shoes for the first time and was wondering what the best way to clean them would be? I remember reading somewhere about using bleach, but I don't know what the bleach-to-water ratio would be(I'd hate to ruin them trying to clean them.) Is there another and/or better way to treat them?

jaybo41

Reaction score
I know I've seen the bleach to water ratio somewhere in the past but can't pinpoint it at the moment. I have however found some newer information that may be equally helpful. In addition to the link below PAFBC site suggests 100% vinegar soak for 20 min.

Clean Your Gear

From the Orvis website:

What about Chemical Treatments?

It is true that various chemical treatments have been identified that will kill some ANS such as Formula 409 for mud snails and chlorine bleach or Sparquat for whirling disease spores, The fact is that these chemicals are harsh on equipment and may be harmful to the aquatic ecosystem. Can you imagine what the fishing access site, nearby riparian zone, and river water might look (and smell) like if everyone that got out of the water doused their gear in bleach and Formula 409? The best approach for the angling and sporting public to help prevent the spread of Aquatic Nuisance Species is to Inspect, Clean, and Dry, simple guidelines of the Federation of Fly Fishers campaign - the Clean Angling Pledge. Federation of Fly Fishers and Trout Unlimited have joined together to request that every angler join in this effort by signing the Clean Angling Pledge which can be viewed and signed online at

Clean Angling Coalition

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Appears that drying wading shoes for three days will kill any hitch hikers.
Hi gbanker,

I have not heard this before. Can you tell me the source of your infomation?

Hi Ant,

Cleaning felt seems to be a very difficult job. I don't know how to do it but I don't intend to use my felt wading shoes again. Too much evidence that they are a major problem for our streams and rivers. I hope more states follow Alaska's lead and ban their use. I am afraid they are going the way of buggy whips.:)

Frank

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I put water and pine-sol in the bottom of a bucket, then put my boots in. I think this works, but I'm not sure.
Randy

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
The 'old rule of thumb' was 3/4 to a cup of bleach to a gallon of water. Mix same in a shallow 'dish pan' (something big enough that you can put the boot(s) felt down. Felt (especially when new) is about 1/2" thick so it will take at least a half hour 'in the bath' for the B/W to soak through.

The actual 'cleaning' action is rather quick, but the soaking through is another matter (give it at least a 3/4 hour if the soles are already wet, a 'displacement thingie).

After that, rinse throughly and re-soak in clear water.

Edit: Ah, just found what I was looking for; 't'aint the Internet neat? Here's a long list of B/W combo's for general cleaning purposes. Clorox has been around since (roughly) 1913 so there's been a lot of 'testing/tweaking' to get these right: http://www.ehow.com/how_4776871_around-house-clorox-regular-bleach.html

ant

Reaction score
In addition to the link below PAFBC site suggests 100% vinegar soak for 20 min.

Clean Your Gear
Thanks, I like this idea. One of my worries in using some bleach concoction was that I wouldn't rinse all of the bleach out and next time I used it I would be getting bleach into the waterways.

Frank, I've heard about the issues with felt soled, I'm just hoping to get a bit more use out of them until I can afford a nice pair of Vibram soled wading boots. Also, my dad still has a buggy whip in his basement somewhere (although never had a buggy....);)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Ant,

I've been using studded rubber soles since 1994, you might like them. No long waits for drying, no water draining on the floor mats of the ride, and not a good vehicle for traveling vermin.

Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
When I worked at the state trout hatchery, every time you walked into a building you walked through a vat of Lysol disinfectant solution.
We weren't allowed to wear felts however.
That would have saved on a lot of pratfalls when 'herding' the fish and cleaning the tanks and raceways
:frogdance