Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  72
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Which New Wading Boot?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Quote Originally Posted by duker View Post
    Ard, you have probably already bought new boots since you started this thread. If you have, I'd be interested to hear what you bought and what your experience with them has been. If you haven't. . .

After burning through different brands (Hodgman, Chota, some cheap no-name brand) which didn't give me much support and wore out way too soon, I bought a pair of Simms Guide boots (back then they were called G3s; now I think they're just called Guide boots--the ones that look like hiking boots). I've worn them for three years now and they're amazing--sturdy, durable, good support for my feet and ankles, and the Vibram soles grip well. I haven't had the need to use studs or cleats yet. Also, when you have to hike to a new spot, either in the water, on the shore or through the bush, they are excellent--just like, well, hiking boots. They've also held up amazingly well.

The Korkers look interesting, but for me they're just too gimmicky--that removable sole system looks like it could be prone to failure. Same goes for the BOA and similar lacing systems, for the reasons others have mentioned. I like having good old-fashioned laces.

Scott
    Hi Scott,

I just stumbled on your post today, I did get a pair of Rivershed boots from Simms.

Thus far I can say that they are comfortable even after 16 or more hours at a time. The go on and off without any exertion and I'm liking them. Because Alaska has banned felt I have the Vibram soles with cleats and with careful wading they are just fine. Regardless of the soles I do carry a wade staff when I go into places where a fall could be imminent as you stumble among the large cobblestone bottom.

This will be season 2 with them and I'm looking forward to having them on my feet as opposed to my old boots.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes jaybo41 liked this post

My Korkers are sweet. With interchangable soles you can hike in to your spot with rubber lugs and then swap them out for some studded felt for those slippery rocks! I got the MudDuckers (I think) they're camp, they were on sale. But, I like them!

He is right about the Simms G3 Boot. It is like wearing a pair of good hunting boots.

bean gray ghost. very comfortable. added simms star bites and could not be happier. nobody beats beans cust. service. leaky waders get replaced at once.
    http://outdoorsnow.blogspot.com

6. Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Great thread! I have owned mostly Korkers for the last 6 years. Got them first for the sole changing ability, later I went with newer versions as I am an impatient guy when wadering up. Have the Chrome version currently. I decided to no longer use felt soles when I saw didymo invasion in Montana waters that were not there previously.

I want to try either the Patgania Bars or the Aluminum stud soles. BUT- what do those of you who fish from a drift boat often and spend half your time fishing from the boat, and half getting out and wading the runs? I would think that the aluminum bars would: make you fall on your $*#W moving around in the boat- and/or chew up the fiberglass on the boat decks (the bottom of the boat where you walk) Really curious to see what others do that wear these type of soles in drift boats.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Quote Originally Posted by promtbr88 View Post

I want to try either the Patgania Bars or the Aluminum stud soles. BUT- what do those of you who fish from a drift boat often and spend half your time fishing from the boat, and half getting out and wading the runs? I would think that the aluminum bars would: make you fall on your $*#W moving around in the boat- and/or chew up the fiberglass on the boat decks (the bottom of the boat where you walk) Really curious to see what others do that wear these type of soles in drift boats.
    Aluminum on aluminum is slippery; no doubt about it, but an easy fix .... a large square of indoor-out door carpet or a rubber mat. But as for 'grip' nothing beats Aluminum. Ever run a drift boat up on a rock?
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

8. Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Aluminum on aluminum is slippery
    I should have clarified, my drift boat is fiberglass (as are most in my neck of the woods). So Aluminum cleats or studs on a fiberglass boat bottom would be a problem as far as I can see.

Every time I wear them I'm amazed at the thought that went into my Korkers Chrome boots.
    After wearing and wearing out Orvis, Chota STL's and Simms Guide boots over the years it is great to see technology being used to design and build such a well thought-out boot. They're lightweight yet appear to be sturdy. The material dries out quickly and is durable enough to be the stuff white-water rafts are made from.
    Despite all the above add in the Boa lacing system and the improved interchangeable sole design and they win. Now I'm ready for any water and wading regulation. Next on the list is a pair of the grabbiest soles known to man, the Korkers Svelte soles!
    Having feet that morph in size during a days hiking and wading I have to give Kudos to Korkers for (hmmm... Korkers Kudos.... ) wisely adapting the Boa lacing system.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Quote Originally Posted by promtbr88 View Post
    I should have clarified, my drift boat is fiberglass (as are most in my neck of the woods). So Aluminum cleats or studs on a fiberglass boat bottom would be a problem as far as I can see.
    Yup, cleats of any kind, save for Allie Bars are 'not a good thing' on the floor of a glass boat. But back to the carpet/rubber mats?
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Chicago, but Kanakee River on the weekends

Hopefully I won't get made fun of.. but what do people think of Allen Company wading boots? Specifically this one:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-White-River-Wading/dp/B003TWE9I0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371565470&sr=8-1&keywords=wading+boots"]Allen Company White River Wading Boot : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516DplpfuxL.@@AMEPARAM@@516DplpfuxL[/ame]

I know that others will probably say to save my money and to spend the extra $$ for quality Simms boots, but honestly, I don't go out as often as I like (maybe 10-12 times all year long) so I'd rather buy on the cheap. Plus I've bought a pair of old Gander Mtn wading boots about 5 years ago and they're still going strong. But my feet have started to ache after a few hours in them.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast