Coldweather fishing gloves

ted4887

Reaction score
I just placed an order for a pair of Simms Windstopper foldover mitts for this upcoming winter. Last year I was using a pair of Cabelas Glommits(I think that's what they're called anyways). What does everyone else prefer to use when the tips start dipping below freezing?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a couple pair of wool finger tip type gloves that serve until it gets real ugly then I fall back on an old pair of Orvis neoprene gloves circa I'm not sure............... old.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I had a pair that I wore during the 80's when backpacking. They were liner gloves and had a silvery thread within the weave and they where the best I ever had. Would love to be able to find those things again.

Dave

littledavid123

Reaction score
Did some searching on the net and discovered Macwet gloves. Anybody on the forum with some comments on these would be appreciated.

Dave

jcw355

Reaction score
I was looking at a pair of NFS (I think) neoprene full-finger waterproof gloves for fishing the winter. I'm thinking the full-finger may be a bad choice due to the detrimental effect on tying on flies. Any thoughts?
I got use to wearing 3mm full fingered cold water scuba diving gloves. I never took them off till I was done fishing. I had no problem tying a fly on with or without using my ty-rite. The gloves I use are Henderson H2 Titanium. Thicker isn't better either, you lose dexterity. I have a pair of 5mm and only wear them shoveling snow. 3mm is plenty thick enough for me, your hands won't be toasty warm but they won't be freezing cold after getting them wet handling fish in the cold all day. I have a pair of regular neoprene gloves that are lined inside but the outside is too "grippy". The Hendersons have a lining on the outside that isn't "grippy" except for the palm area and bottom side of fingers.The fly line slides better thru your fingers with the Hendersons. Not cheap, $45-50. I like them and will continue to use that type of glove for cold weather.

jaybo41

Reaction score
100% wool with fingertips cut off is the bomb. I also have the fold overs that you mentioned for use when needed. They work very well, but I find that line gets caught up on them often. I prefer the wool, but keep those handy when the conditions call for it.

Have seen Buffalo Gold advertised and read about them, they sound great. The price is steep though.

Reactions: Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I wear the fingerless wool gloves until it's really cold and then switch to wearing a thin fleece glove as a liner with rubber dishwashing glove over the top... honest :rolleyes:
They're thin, comfortable, warm, and completely water proof
The only problem is the color :D

wetboot

Reaction score
I picked up these for next to nothing on STP with one of their super-duper coupon codes: Jacob Ash Hot Shot Foldback Fishing Gloves - Neoprene (For Men) - Save 48%

I've tried them on twice, and the foldback part of the fingers is already stating to rip (which is probably why they are on closeout). I may dab them w/ a little head cement or just wait until they come off and make them finger-less on those two fingers, but either way they are really comfortable. And were super cheap.

jcw355

Reaction score
I wear the fingerless wool gloves until it's really cold and then switch to wearing a thin fleece glove as a liner with rubber dishwashing glove over the top... honest :rolleyes:
They're thin, comfortable, warm, and completely water proof
The only problem is the color :D

You can get black rubber gloves at Home depot, I have a pair.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a thin fleece glove like simms that has the fold over?
Simms Fishing Products -- Gloves

I have the Simms Windstopper 1/2 finger gloves and unless they've changed things, they are not anywhere near as warm as the wool gloves even when wet. The wool does a better job repelling water than this version of fleece gloves in my experiences. They are very thin, which does make them comfortable, but once wet, they're not that warm and need to be rung out--which is when I grab the wool ones and let the others dry out.

Simms has the fold overs in both the Freestones and Windstopper.

LL Bean has both the Ragg Wool and Windblock foldovers, they're worth a look.

mens gloves at L.L.Bean

If want Simms and you are able to find the older version, pull the trigger, they were much better IMHO. Still, can't go wrong with their 1/2 finger wool offering. I put them to the test last steelhead season and they were tremendous.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

I've always found that once it is so cold that these won't work it's probably too cold to say I'm enjoying myself.
LOL great logic there Ard. For the most part, I agree with you but there are those days where I'm catching fish and can't seem to get myself out of the water. Or those days where you have cabin fever and do something ridiculous like go to State College with Chi flyfisherman in the middle of winter, temps in the single digits and fish Spring Creek, just to get out of the house and into some fish :rolleyes:

oregonism

Reaction score
Extra thick grey, wool fingerless "bummy" gloves. I love those things. Warm as can be and stay warm even when wet. I never really need anything more than that in NW Oregon.