Kayaks.

brian miville

Reaction score
Hello folks,

My Uncle and I currently fish out of a square stern canoe (warm water, mostly spinning and baitcasting and of course occasionally fly casting). We took some fly casting lessons a couple years ago and of course it was RIGHT after we had just bought this new canoe to replace ou old worn out one. We quickly learned how limiting a canoe and two fly casters whipping away can be. So it looks like we may be getting my Uncle a kick boat for Christmas as he has been saying off and on ever since we took the fly casting lessons how he might like one (and laments how he wishes he knew all this BEFORE we bought the canoe or he would have done the kick boat instead.) Anyways, while I think kick boats are kind of neat I personally want the flexibility of a kayak because I am looking for something that can pull double duty as a fishing rig and a general paddling boat (non white water mostly flat water or very slow moving rivers). I have been looking at the Old Town Dirigo 10 footer. It looks nice, stable and solid, albeit not the fastest paddling rig out there. I will take that slight negative for the positive of stability any day. But it is a touch on the high end of what I hope to pay (since I still have to buy a paddle and other accessories.) at about $550. So I was wondering if maybe there are some other decent kayaks that would fit the bill for less money (or at the very least equal money).

Basically what I am looking for is:

fits a 6'4" tall person

Weight limit range to be around 250 or higher

Kayak with a cockpit or at least a "tub"....I just think I would like this style better than a sit-on-top

Again, $550 or under.....with under being even better

Fit the double bill of be a good fishing rig, but also paddles well

Comfort is of course paramount!

So, is the Dirigo going to be my best bet or are there any others I should consider?

Thanks!
Brian

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

I can't answer your question but want you to know it hasn't went unseen. We have some kayak fishermen here and they will eventually see this post. I never made a post to welcome you to the forum but this is the first thread from you I've seen so I'll do that now :)

Hope someone can help you out with advice,

Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I was going to suggest a Wilderness System Pungo. That's what my fishing partner uses and I know he paid around $350 for his stripped down "Classic", paddle included, at Dick's or Sports Authority or someplace like that.
I went to the Wilderness System web-site and the retail for their fully equipped Pungo is now $800 plus :eek:
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pr...nal/recreational_pungo/pungo_120_recreational

Part of the difference is the season. The manufacturers have big sales in the spring and most outfitters have "paddle days" sometime in May when you can try different kayaks (and canoes) to see what "floats your boat"
That's the time to buy.

I, myself have an 18 year old Perception that's comparable to their current Carolina model. They're pricey, but I know that one local outfitter uses them for their rentals because they're so stable and then sells them off after the end of the season
http://www.perceptionkayaks.com/product/index/products/touring/carolina/carolina_12

You might not want to give up on the canoe just yet. You just have to take turns. One person fishes while the other plays guide. It's actually easier when you have someone positioning the boat for you. You can even stand to cast when your "guide" is holding the canoe steady.
Doesn't work for everyone though. I enjoy it myself while others that I fish with tend to get a bit "antsy"

Last edited:

ted4887

Reaction score
I would see if you can find a used Ocean Kayak Prowler. Chances are, if you do, they will be right in the range you want. It's a great fishing rig, highly modifiable, and very stable. I fish out of the newer generation Prowler, called the Trident. Love it for warm water paddling.

brian miville

Reaction score
Hardyreels, many thanks for the welcome! :D

Rip Tide, you know what is funny is that I noticed price jumps in some kick boats too. I had a 2010 Cabela's fly fishing catalog I was thumbing through Venture outdoors had this nice polyethelene pontoon kick boat for $399.99. Yesterday I went on their website since it was just within the price limit the family wanted to spend for my Uncle for Christmas. Well I was sure surprised to find it now rtails for $599.99! That is a pretty big jump for a year and a half!

Thankfully I have plenty of time between now and the start of fishing season again, so I will keep an eye out for sales. Luckily I have an REI Visa card which every purchase I make gives me 1% back on my dividens. I usually wind up over $100 with free dividens, plus when dividen time of year comes they do a 20% sale to go with everything. They have the Pungo with dashboard for $829. They also carry Perception kayaks, though not the Carolina it appears (though I noticed sometimes things go seasonal on their website and what they don't show now on their site may change come spring.) So I will keep my eye out there and also start do some Google searching for deals.

Ted4887, I will also check into the Ocean Kayak Prowler. Thanks!

Brian

raindogt

Reaction score
Another vote for the OK (Ocean Kayak). I, too have a trident (T-11), and have nothing but positives to say about it.

The only downsides are-- they are spendy, and they are sit on top. Neither of what you said you wanted. If you buy used, you can find them well within your price range, new will almost double what you want to spend.

As for Sit in vs SOT, it is personal preference-- but I would encourage you to try both styles before discounting one or the other.

ramjet

Reaction score
FWIW..I am 6 ft 4 and about 200 lbs. I have 2 yaks and have fished from each. Some of your decision depends on where and how you plan to fish.

I've had a pungo 12' (older style) for probably 12 years. It's a good boat.. reasonably fast and tracks a straight line OK. They are spendy..Mine was a used demo and still probably 450.

I also have a perception prodigy 10'. It's slower than the 12 ft, so I give the longer boat to GF when we yak together. The prodigy has a flatter bottom and is MUCH easier to go upstream in if there are a lot of bends in a river. The longer boat has a chined hull and is harder to turn.. Also when you stick the bow out into the current (you are usually going upstream on the inside of the turn where the slacker current is..), it really gets pulled downstream and it can be an effort to keep it turned into the current. Cost wise I think it's a little less than what you are looking at. The newer model with a better seat and some storage looks pretty nice.

I am in MI and it's kind of nice to have a sit inside boat. I have a 3/4 skirt for the pungo to keep drips off my lap if it's cold, but I don't use that a lot.

If you are tall, pay attention to the length of the cockpit opening. both of these boats are pretty easy for a tall guy to get in and out of. You will also want a longer paddle, of course.

There is definitely something to be said for a sit on top if you are fishing warm water or intend to get in and out a lot. I took the 10 footer on a trip this summer and it was a pain to get in and out a lot. I also know some folks here that say the SOTs are safer cause they will be easier to get back in if you fall out while in open water.

Watch out for the really cheap boats. I found them to be too wide, with little freeboard and low load capacities.

You may want to consider how you are going to anchor it (if you are) in your decision.

That's some stuff to chew on. I hope that helps.

Bottom line--- no matter what you get, it's great fun!

littledavid123

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Brian

I have a Old Town Otter and have used it for years just fine BUT!!! The thing is a butt and back killer, As much as I fish in the boat, two hours is about all I can tolerate before heading to shore for relief. I don't see anything about the Diregio seating that is different from the Otter. Also a 10' boat with your height will be a killer on your knees and feet, there may be room to straighten your legs but no height inside the cockpit bow to stick your feet up and the boat is really to narrow to bend your knees much.

I have seen other kayaks that are perfect to fish out of and will try and search some out for you and repost to this site. Look for a boat with a mesh support seat and a large open cockpit.

Take your time with this, you only get one shot at it. :D

Dave

Look up the Native Ultimate Kayak in a 12' model, just remembered the name. A fellow fly fisherman had me give his a paddle on the river one day and it is the bomb. They are expensive but with winter coming on I would start keeping a close watch on ebay, a good used one should fall into your price range.

brian miville

Reaction score
Getting some great info and things to think about. Thanks and keep it up!

Dave, in regards to the comfort of the Dirigo, I have read a bunch of reviews that say it is quite comfortable, and is one of the reasons I was considering it. That and I saw they had a fishing package for the dashboard (though I am now having trouble finding it.) That and I found it was pretty stable and not too bad a paddler (albeit slow). But I wanted to get some more opinions about the matter before I committed myself to this particular kayak. And I glad I am as now the field has broadened a bit and I have been given a few things to think about that I had not considered. :cool:

Brian

littledavid123

Reaction score
Getting some great info and things to think about. Thanks and keep it up!

Dave, in regards to the comfort of the Dirigo, I have read a bunch of reviews that say it is quite comfortable, and is one of the reasons I was considering it. That and I saw they had a fishing package for the dashboard (though I am now having trouble finding it.) That and I found it was pretty stable and not too bad a paddler (albeit slow). But I wanted to get some more opinions about the matter before I committed myself to this particular kayak. And I glad I am as now the field has broadened a bit and I have been given a few things to think about that I had not considered. :cool:

Brian
It's your butt...lol

Dave

ted4887

Reaction score
Look up the Native Ultimate Kayak in a 12' model, just remembered the name. A fellow fly fisherman had me give his a paddle on the river one day and it is the bomb. They are expensive but with winter coming on I would start keeping a close watch on ebay, a good used one should fall into your price range.

I've also been watching for one of these. Unfortunately, nothing has come close to touching that price point that I've seen yet. That is one heckuva rig though.

Brian - Have you had a chance to paddle any of the rigs you were considering? That is one luxury I wish I had, but unforunately we don't have any shops around that do demo days. If you do have the opportunity to get a test paddle I would absolutely recommend it.

whalensdad

Reaction score
Brian,

I use both a 10 ft Perception Prodigy and an Old Town Venture XT. Both of them are sit in's with big cockpits. The one thing i'll recommend, regardless of what kayak you get is to make sure you install an anchor system that can be be adjusted along the side of the yak. It's a B$$$H trying to cast over your shoulder :)

Lee

ted4887

Reaction score
Brian,

I use both a 10 ft Perception Prodigy and an Old Town Venture XT. Both of them are sit in's with big cockpits. The one thing i'll recommend, regardless of what kayak you get is to make sure you install an anchor system that can be be adjusted along the side of the yak. It's a B$$$H trying to cast over your shoulder :)

Lee
That's a good point. Here is a similar anchor trolley system I use on my rig.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr-t0LcaZpI]Ten Dollar No Drill Anchor Trolley for Kayak - YouTube[/ame]

brian miville

Reaction score
Alas I don't know of any local shops that do demos. Having had some time to mull things over I am starting to like the Pungo, even despite it's higher price point. Since the Pungo is available at REI and with the dividens and 20% discount they usually do at dividens time I may be able to scrape the extra cash together to go that route. But that being said I will still keep my eyes open for sales on any of the kayaks we are talking about here. Price point will be a huge deal sealer for me. :D

Brian

brian miville

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just thought I would give a little update on this (for any who care :D ). For Christmas I got $450 from the family to "do whatever I want" with. Obviously that "whatever I want" meant "kayak". So I still have a little saving to do, but I decided to go with the Wilderness Systems Pungo 120. I had even considered going with the Pungo 140, but in the end I decided to save the extra cash I would be putting into the 140, get the 120, and apply the saved money to a real good paddle. I am looking at Mad Frog Gear's Lily Pad as a base to mount the three Scotty rod holders I would need (of course one for the fly rod, one for a spinning rod, and one for a baitacaster....my typical trifecta of rods). That Lily Pad is one neat set up! I am also looking at the Stohlquist Fisherman PFD since that too is a slick little set up!

So thanks again for all the advice! By the time fishing season rolls around this spring I will be ready to rock and roll!!!!

Brian

schiff

Reaction score
Brian,
"Kayak with a cockpit or at least a "tub"....I just think I would like this style better than a sit-on-top"

I would also ecourage you to try out the SOT and the Sit-In. You said you are 6'4" I think. In and out of a Sit-In is not as easy as on and off a SOT.
A SOT also lets you move your legs around, like over the side while you float to stretch them. By brother has a Sit-in and I can't use it...too confined for me. I have a Tarpon 120 SOT and love the yak. I belong to a kayak fishing club and there is not one guy with a Sit-IN. Just food for thought and my opinions only. I hope you find a yak that treats you well...enjoy.

Schiff

Red Owl

Reaction score
There is a boat made in Louisiana called a pirogue. The fiberglass models only weigh 40 lbs. and it looks almost as large as a canoe but the low profile would be better in the wind. A single guy could probably use a kayak paddle. Has anyone ever used one of these crafts and if so, how did you like it?

pa dave

Reaction score
I haven't tried a great variety, but I bought an Old Town Loon 138 and it is great. I fish a larger river fairly often and the length is nice for that. What I really like is the capacity (350 lbs) and the size of the cockpit, which is very long and easy to get in and out of, and gives good working space. She can be a bit of a barge, but I am okay with that. I bought it used off a guy on a forum years ago.

If you want to save some money and haven't picked one up by this fall, check with local outfitters. Often they sell of some of there kayaks at the end of the season, pre-scratched and all so you don't have to cringe the first time you grind it over a rock. Mine was under $300.