Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Simms Freestone boots

i was curious if anyone is familiar with Simms' boot sizing. i'm looking to get a pair of the Freestone boots, but do not have the luxury of trying them on first, so my purchase will be online. i was wondering if i need to order the actual size shoe i wear (i.e. the boot is already made bigger to accommodate stockingfoot waders) or if i need to order a size bigger?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Simms Freestone boots

I don't have experience with this particular boot from Simms, but I do own the Riversheds. I go one size up, but primarily so I've got room at the toes for winter fishing. I would go this route and then try them on with the same socks, layers and waders. If they work great, if not, send them back for another size. Maybe one of the guys who work in a shop will see your post and reply with some insight on this particular boot. BTW, the Hardbite cleats while expensive, will give you incredible traction. Good luck.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

3. Default Re: Simms Freestone boots

thanks, jaybo41. according to most of Cabela's and BPS reviews for that boot, i should order a size bigger. i'm a little apprehensive yet since one of the reviews stated that over-sizing is not required. i'll wait for some more input here before i pull the trigger; i have a few days before my coupon expires.

I have mid width, mid arch feet (basically the most 'normal' type) & I wear size 11 street shoes. I went with size 12 Simms Headwater Boots a month ago and they fit like a charm.

5. Default Re: Simms Freestone boots

Quote Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
    I have mid width, mid arch feet (basically the most 'normal' type) & I wear size 11 street shoes. I went with size 12 Simms Headwater Boots a month ago and they fit like a charm.
    out of curiosity, do you wear any type of socks in your stockingfoot waders to facilitate the fit of your Simms boots?

Blog Entries

Hollywood, my street shoe is a 9, and I field a 10 or 11 (Winter) in the Freestone.
    One pair of woolies in summer, two pairs in Winter. A thin poly-liner is nice.

I had a pair of Freestones, while I do not recall the exact size I do remember that the reason I replaced them was that - after years of use - they just didn't fit anymore, I felt like they shrunk.

I bought a new pair of Simms about 3-4 years ago, don't recall the style - they were replaced by a G-Something I believe - and I had to go a size up on those.

Wading boots never fit like hiking boots, you have big neoprene booties in there and socks under those...I think you are always better to go up a size when in doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyw00d View Post
    out of curiosity, do you wear any type of socks in your stockingfoot waders to facilitate the fit of your Simms boots?
    Yep, Winter - liner socks + thick woolen socks. Summer - light hiking socks.

9. Default Re: Simms Freestone boots

thanks all. i'll go with a size up to start and see how it goes.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

That's all I use ... because they have the widest 'last' I've run across. That said!!!!! Even for summer run (warmer weather) go at least one size up from your normal shoe size.

Winter work, two sets of socks, GO TWO!!!!!

I have zero idea how/what they have in mine with boot manufacturers 'sizing's;' but it's total BS in the real world ... unless your 'Bear foot.' (Pun intended.)

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
    Yep, Winter - liner socks + thick woolen socks. Summer - light hiking socks.
    +1

fae

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"