I trust you all with this

lancer09

Reaction score
I'm in dire need of a new pack. The back pack i've been using isn't cutting it: here are what I was looking at:

White River Wide Ranger Fly Patrol Pack | Bass Pro Shops
Pros: small, cheap, I've inspected and aren't of awful quality
Cons: Small, Cheapish, prone to tearing, color

White River Fly Shop Technical Tri Chest Pack | Bass Pro Shops
Pros: storage room, inexpensive for the size, nifty looking, color
Cons: still pricy (cuts into tying money), Don't know how to get to stuff in back without removing entire thing.

Allen Company Big Horn Chest Vest | Bass Pro Shops
Pros: Most storage, Dig the colors, looks light and durable
Cons: most "vesty" looking, maybe a problem if I take a dunk

Fishpond Arroyo Chest Pack | Bass Pro Shops
Pros: Fishpond quality, nice, lots of storage for size
Cons: Price, Overall storage, still might not be enough, Coudl I add a tippet holder without storing them inside?

I could use some of your experts opinions.

dean_mt

Reaction score
What do you currently use and what kind of use are you looking for?

And not knowing those answers:

1. Pros = Cons...hmm...you get what you pay for
2. I don't like those two big "breast" configurations...seems clumsy. The back would be for a jacket and water, you'd have to take it off...wish I could see it. $70
3. Allen vest looks nice, no big molded things. But it's a vest, not a pack. $80
4. Fishpond is good stuff, they last. But if you budget is up to $80 (the Allen vest) I'd go for the Blue River instead, it's bigger yet not as bulky, and $70. I have a thing against the molded plastic, it just adds mass without much greater function. Not sure about all the pockets on the Arroyo, but most Fishponds have nice little pockets that hold tippet spools perfectly, though from the image it doesn't look like it does.

You've narrowed it down and I don't want to add more options, aside from the alternate Fishpond pack that is in your price range, because you've already learned that there are way to many options out there. You're certain to get lots of new recommendations.

Ultimately it depends on how much you want to carry and where. The Fishpond packs that say "chest or lumbar" are really, in my opinion only lumbar, or fanny packs. I wouldn't want all that hanging from my neck and on my chest.

Good luck!

lancer09

Reaction score
Dean,
Great suggestion, I went to bass pro today to look at some, and the Blue River was BY FAR my favorite of them for teh sorage, comfort and the money. I believe that will be the one that I look into.

If anyone else has any other suggestons let me know but that fishpond is good stuff.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
I have the tri chest pack, and been happy with it. I wouldnt mind having more packing space however.

lancer09

Reaction score
MPB, the small front packs are part of what I didn't like about it. It didn't seem to hold a bunch without putting it in the back, making it utterly inaccessible. One of the main reasons I dont want to spend that much on it. Plus I really like having a fly patch somewhere on the pack.

lancer09

Reaction score
I went ahead and splurged on the Fishpond Blue River chest/waist pack. I found that it is the same one that one of my good friends has and I actually really like it and have tried it on before, and evn stuffed to capacity it did not hinder my casting stroke.

I'm pretty excited to get it and really hope that I find it worth it with how much I spent on it, but I'm sure it will be completely worth it once I just take it out once.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
What do you currently use and what kind of use are you looking for?

Ultimately it depends on how much you want to carry and where. The Fishpond packs that say "chest or lumbar" are really, in my opinion only lumbar, or fanny packs. I wouldn't want all that hanging from my neck and on my chest.

Good luck!
The highlighted bit from Dean to me is the 'key question.' How much "stuff" do you really need for a days fishing? If you look at the majority of the 'hard core' river fishermen here in the PNW they're 'minimalists' when it comes to carting ''stuff'' around with them. One or two smallish boxes of flies, a spool or two of leader material and the odd (but useful) tools. 95% of the time its all just stuck in a pocket in the front of their waders and shirt pockets.

Personally if I'm going to be quite far from the Jeep I'll put some 'extra stuff' in a Fanny Pack (or as the rest of the world would call them: Bum Bags). They're light, don't get in your way and many have a water bottle holder or two as part of the rig (that's important!).

As for 'tools' all I carry is a 6'' long set of Forceps (they have a side cutter for leader), a large toe nail clipper (for heavy leader material and a 4'' file (the diamond kind) looped together on a 12'ish bit of heavy cord. The Forceps get clamped on the front of my shirt/coat and the other two bits just hang below. As for the rest, a couple small boxes of flies and two spools of leader material. (Do you really need 6 assorted spools of leader material on you?)

Using large flies there I'll use a regular set of fishing 'pliers' as you need to get the hook out and the Forceps may be too light for the job at hand.

But just for Jollies take all that 'stuff' you're presently carting around and put it on a table and ask yourself 'When was the last time I actually used that?' Not 'I might need that some time, but when did I actually USE that.'

You'll find your 'load' drop by 60 - 70 percent. And all that 'stuff' is just adding weight and bulk to your 'vest.'

One last thought about 'vests;' if you ever start using 2-hander rods avoid any vest that has large protruding pockets in front. When loaded they just get the hell in the way with every cast.

fae

lancer09

Reaction score
What i like about the blue river is that ill be able to carry all I need and nothing else. Compared to the back pack I have been using this will be a big difference.

Much of my fishing is night fishing, sometimes a few miles from the car, and like to have a large assortment of flies and suck as well as a drink, stuff to build new leaders and a snack. Also should I ever embark on the endevor of two handers it can spin around to sit on my back.

I appreciate the advice guys, really made my decision easier.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I wish someone other than Orvis would make a sling pack again. My William Joseph is falling apart and they don't make them anymore. I can't seem to cast comfortably with anything in front of me. Chest packs and vest pockets drive me crazy. The sling pack holds everything I need and it sits behind me until I need it. A short tug under my left arm and it's in front of me when I need it.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I wish someone other than Orvis would make a sling pack again. My William Joseph is falling apart and they don't make them anymore. I can't seem to cast comfortably with anything in front of me. Chest packs and vest pockets drive me crazy. The sling pack holds everything I need and it sits behind me until I need it. A short tug under my left arm and it's in front of me when I need it.
Patagonia makes one...at least used to, but it had a small pack on the front. What's wrong with the Orvis? What about that Fishpond mentioned above? I wear the strap over one shoulder with the bag on the opposite hip, behind my back and when I need it, I swing it around.

There is always the fleabay to try to replace your oldie...

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Beacause of its design the Orvis sling can only be worn over the right shoulder. I'm left handed and wear it on the opposite side. The WJ is a lot more forgiving for us south paws.

Last edited:

dean_mt

Reaction score
Beacause of its design the Orvis sling can only be worn over the right shoulder. I'm left handed and where it on the opposite side. The WJ is a lot more forgiving fore us south paws.
I completely understand. I'm a part-time lefty myself, just not with casting. Though I can cast left-handed when I have to.

mtbrider405

Reaction score
For what it's worth for anyone else looking or wondering about packs, I have the Patagonia Stealth Hip Pack and LOVE it! Plenty of storage and VERY well made. My buddy also has the Stealth Chest Pack and he likes it as well.

I am a fan of hip packs because I like being completely unrestricted in the upper body. I have two chest packs and I constantly had thoughts of "That's in the way".

One more note. The Pat Stealth Hip Pack comes with a nice neck strap and can be work as a chest pack if you get into a deep wading situation.

Plus, their warranty is second to none.

-Jason

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/stealth-hip-pack?p=48140-0-961