Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default How they made gut leaders

I'm reading Halford right now- just for fun. I never really knew much about the old silk lines and gut leaders. The silk was soaked in linseed oil and dried- the process repeated again after a month or two- it took about a year to make the line. The final product wasn't too different from today's dacron and plastic coat. On the gut leaders- I copied this website for anyone interested.
    oakenking: Silkworm gut

2. Likes jpbfly, Jackster, fredaevans, philip43 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How they made gut leaders

Very interesting read and pics...had heard about it but never seen pics.I used silk lines for a few years ....and still got a dt one on one of my reels

I have an old book that has quite a bit about this, Making and Using the Fly and Leader by Paul H. Young, 1933
    You wouldn't know it unless told , but when you hear reference to Cat Gut, the cat is short for caterpillar.

The gut strands were normally 12 - 15 inches but longer strands of 20+" were available and very expensive. Of course there was huge advantage of a dry fly tippet of this length
    "Drawn" gut was drawn through a diamond die to provide a consistent diameter.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Very interesting to read, thanks for sharing!
    Larry

You can still buy silk lines for about $150 which really isn't that high given what it takes to make them however it always seemed like a lot of maintenance to keep them in good shape. How do they preform compared to the better lines of today?

That was very interesting ..
    SHANNON

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
    You can still buy silk lines for about $150 which really isn't that high given what it takes to make them however it always seemed like a lot of maintenance to keep them in good shape. How do they preform compared to the better lines of today?
    Actually (lighter-'shorter' rod weights) extremely well ..... but only on a Baby Boo. A total waste on a plastic rod ... zero Penashe (sp?) there.

As for silk gut it really will put a hole in your credit card; Dear God that stuff is expensive. But if you're doing 'Blind Eye' flies (big ones) ties, its the way to go. Huge 'Wow Factor' especially in Presentation Level (none of mine) flies.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"