Miniature Screen for bugs

comeonavs

Reaction score
Does anyone here know of or use a "pocket" type screen to collect a few bug samples when fishing.

I am certainly not in to getting a masive siene on poles and dredging the river for bug surveys. I will probably never be able to name a underwater bug. I just was wondering if their is a compact screen , seine whatever that you can whip out of your pocket or pack / vest , dredge the water and go oh it looks like a "insert midge / emerger name" and is this size ?

comeonavs

Reaction score
Thanks you guys

Great suggestions, maybe I can figure out what bugs are in the water without setting up a entimilogocal dig site. Quick and easy sounds good to me

dhayden

Reaction score
Another option..

Google: Insta-Seine Insect Seine

about $25.

Good size and relatively sturdy

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Bend a coat hanger to shape and stretch some pantyhose over it. It might not last all that long but if you can use the vinyl coated it should last a bit.
:secret: I do this except I use my trout net for the frame
This way, not only do you have a bug seine, but if you leave the hose on, it will protect your net bag from getting snagged in the underbrush

fire instructor

Reaction score
Saw a neat home-made one, where someone took a $1 flip-top travel container for a bar of soap, cut the bottom out of it, and glued a small piece of nylon screen in the the bottom. It was small, fit well in a pocket, and you could close the "catch" in it, so that you could safely save it (without crushing it) until such time that you could look it over closely to match a hatch, or open a textbook to properly identify it.

Haven't made one for myself yet, but it's on my list of "things to do". Somehow, my wife keeps moving "finish back porch construction." above all of my fishing related things to do....

mysticm

Reaction score
I recently read a blog where the angler was using the mesh bucket covers available in the paint section at Home Depot as a bug seine. These covers are designed to filter out particulates in the blended paints & are the right mesh size for straining bugs off the water. They fit over a net.

After you are done with your straining experiments, just rinse them off in the stream and refold into your vest, chest pack, wader pocket, waist pack or backpack.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I recently read a blog where the angler was using the mesh bucket covers available in the paint section at Home Depot as a bug seine. These covers are designed to filter out particulates in the blended paints & are the right mesh size for straining bugs off the water. They fit over a net.

After you are done with your straining experiments, just rinse them off in the stream and refold into your vest, chest pack, wader pocket, waist pack or backpack.

Well this puts me in the "duh" category. My father has owned a very succesful painting business for the last 40 years. I spent many years running down ladders to strain paint through exactly this

Great ideal, cheap, easy could wad up small enough to fit anywhere

comeonavs

Reaction score
Thank you for the painter's mesh filter. Stopped by Home Depot yesterday and 2 pack is $3.97. It fits over the net very well , no tight spots or snags so doesnt seem like it will tear easily. Man you can really wad the the thing up small and shove it in any pocket on you

Perfect solution, now lets see if I catch more fish

mysticm

Reaction score
You are welcome. Now all we need is for one of the famous tackle companies to but their name / logo on it and sell it for 4 times the current price :)

comeonavs

Reaction score
So I used the mesh this weekend and I must tell you I seriously need to perfect my craft.

I drive up the canyon where it is roadside combat fishing. Me being smart figure Ill park and scramble down to do some pocket water fishing in spots most guys wont go. I get down there safely unfurle my mesh and start investigating. Upon seeing nothing but tan midges approx size 20 in the mesh I rig up my rod with a perfect match midge. Ten minutes later not a nibble, so I re check the bugs...yep size 20 tan midge. 10 minutes later nothing hmmmm now Im confused. Heck with it I throw on a golden stone with the midge behind it.....nothing. OK fine go for broke I do see some bugs flying around but no surface activity. Size 18 Adams with said tan midge trailing. Well at least a few fish looked at the Adams

Thought to myself you know I used to have a lot of luck in this river with a size 18 beadhead hares ear lets try that.....bam fish, fish , fish. I love the little Rainbows that are so playful. Caught a 13" Brown that was fun but caught several 8-9" rainbows that put on such an arial display, those little guys are fun to catch.

I also tried something else and it was awesome. Normally in such tight quarters with such small flies I would string up the old short 3wt. I thought no,give the 9' 4wt a shot and it worked great. No snags in the trees, could roll cast quite a ways all in all more effective than I thought it would be.