Cleaning fly line?

45fisher

Reaction score
Any opinions on using ArmorAll, pastewax, other not made for flyline cleaners/conditioners, etc on fly line.
I have searched the web and opinion are yes and no on this stuff. Even from the manufactures.
Since flyline ain't exactly 'cheap' I would like some user opinion as to what is best for cleaning and for re-conditioning line.
Right now I am only using a mild soap solution and then wiping dry.

Jackster

Reaction score
I haven't had a line crack in 15-20 years probably because I never tried to second-guess the line manufacturers by saving a couple bucks by using garage or kitchen chemicals to put on them.
Detergents like dish soap are a no-no. This according to one of the largest line manufacturers in the world. They say detergent leaches the plastisizors. I wouldn't know, never tried it.
Ivory bar soap is all I use if I use any soap. Todays lines stay amazingly clean and most often can get by with just a wipe or two with a wet cloth. At times I'll use those 3M micro-abrasive pads SA markets to bring a fresh, new surface to the top.
For dressing on non-AST, Slickshooter, J3 coated lines Glide and Rio Slickshooter work great and last a long time. They need to set a while before buffing the conditioner in but to me the pain is worth it.
SA dressing makes the line real slick but doesn't seem to last as long as the other two and seems to attract dirt more readily.
I've played with ZipCast and am less than impressed. It's easy on but seems easy off. Basically, a wash.
If you ask a friend, Armorall ruined his new Orvis Wonderlines. I've also heard it washes off easily too.
In a nutshell, mild soap and water for the most part or the 3M pads if they're really skanky and Rio or Glide if they're the type that need conditioning.
Why second guess the manufacturers? It's not like they're getting rich off of a $3.00 bottle of line conditioner.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Jackster, great review. I'd also add that I'm not sure what cumulative effect those other chemicals not intended for fly-fishing would have on more pristine trout waters.

Have you had any experience with Renew or Loon Fast Cast? These fly line cleaners/conditioners come with applicators that temporarily attach to the fly rod above the reel, allowing the cleaner/conditioner to be applied while rewinding fly line. As a bonus, the applicators provide some line tension for better spooling.

45fisher

Reaction score
Jackster,
Thanks. I think I will stick with the mild soap.
You also answered my next question re what does everyone use for line conditioner.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Jackster covered it. I second his advice on avoiding Armorall and using the SA abrasive pads on their AST lines.

troutbum

Reaction score
I have been useing johnson's no more tears baby shampoo for years.Works great.After I pass the line through a damp cloth with the shampoo a couple of times I repete the process with a damp cloth with just water.This is all I have ever used and have yet to find a product that I am willing to switch to.
Tight Lines
Aaron