Prescription polarized fishing sunglasses

ak allen

Reaction score
I just today, took another step towards becoming an old man. I had my eyes checked and need glasses. So my question is who uses prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses? What info would be good to know? Where would be some good places to look? I have never worn prescription glasses in my life so I know nothing on the subject. :(

FISHN50

Reaction score
I have a pair I got at the optometrist but there's a lot of side glare. I like the Cocoon fitovers better. They're light, comfortable & fairly inexpensive.
Lately I've been thinking on getting one of those pairs with interchangeable lenses that you can have your prescription lenses put in special inserts that attach to the frame.Bolle Prescription Lens Adapter for Parole and Vigilante Sunglasses FREE S&H 921752000, 921752001. Bolle Performance Eyewear Accessories, Bolle Performance Goggles, Bolle Scanner Accessories, Bolle Packaging Materials, Bolle Live & Preserved Specimen

ak allen

Reaction score
I just got home from checking out glasses at the shop on post. I found a possible solution. Oakley makes regular glasses frames, and you can have them fitted with polarized transition lenses. It sounds like the best option so far, unless someone knows of any reason not to go this way???

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I am going to get polarized sunglasses on my next round of eye examinations next fall. Here are a couple of ways that you can get quality optics.

Smith Optics - You can get a Smith prescription order form from a Smith retailer that participates in that program. Take that form to your optometrist to get the prescription filled. Send in the form to Smith. There is a spot on the form for a credit card number. Also right down the name of the shop that you got the form from. Keep in mind that not all Smith retailers are not involved in the program.

Maui Jim - Go to an optometrist that is affiliated with Maui Jim. It can do the basic fitting to do the ordering from MJ.

Dennis

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I have a pair I got at the optometrist but there's a lot of side glare. I like the Cocoon fitovers better. They're light, comfortable & fairly inexpensive.
Lately I've been thinking on getting one of those pairs with interchangeable lenses that you can have your prescription lenses put in special inserts that attach to the frame.Bolle Prescription Lens Adapter for Parole and Vigilante Sunglasses FREE S&H 921752000, 921752001. Bolle Performance Eyewear Accessories, Bolle Performance Goggles, Bolle Scanner Accessories, Bolle Packaging Materials, Bolle Live & Preserved Specimen
Like "50" I also use the Cocoon's when needed due to 'side glare.' The norm is a Costco clip-ons over the normal lens. Works just fine, but I wish I could find a set in 'yellow' for over cast days.

As for a separate set of Prescription Pollies, they're DAMNED EXPENSIVE!:eek: Save for you spend a heck of a lot of time on the water (boating as an example) ..... don't bother.

Just my .02 cents.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I talked with my Maui Jim sales rep last week. Depending on one's insurance program, Maui Jim prescription sunglasses can be covered by insurance.

Dennis

ak allen

Reaction score
I talked with my Maui Jim sales rep last week. Depending on one's insurance program, Maui Jim prescription sunglasses can be covered by insurance.

Dennis
I wish!!! I have Army insurance, they provide glasses only in a wonderful choice of 8 frames, which all look about the same. Anything other than that and I'm on my own. So.... I'm on my own lol

fire instructor

Reaction score
I wish!!! I have Army insurance, they provide glasses only in a wonderful choice of 8 frames, which all look about the same.
The dredded use of the word "uniform" as an adjective, and not just a noun! My little brother retired after 22 yrs active duty, about 4 or 5 years ago, and he still refers to his "old man" or "granny" glasses - those very plain black frame glasses that the Army let him purchase through their eye care plan.

As for me, I'm WAY careless and forgetful to use expensive sun glasses on the water, even with Croakies!!! So I wear contacts, and I pick-up and stockpile cheap poloraized glasses whenever I find a good price or find them on-sale. I picked up a half-dozen pair at an Orvis tent-sale a couple of years ago. Still have 4 pair new, in the box. Reg $45+/-, on clearance for $18.99...... I either use a magnifier clip-on on them for tying knots, or I switch to 2.0+ reading glasses. ($20 for 5 pr at Sam's Club!)

BTW, AK, thank you for your service!!! :D

webrx

Reaction score
I'm a little older then some here and wear bifocals. My prescription did not change last time I went to the opto, but I was eligible under my plan for frames and lenses. so, I had them build me some prescription sun glasses on a Maui Jim frame, amber lenses, polarized, and talked the opto Doc into adding a 3x bifocal section so I could tie flies on easier (the bifocal section is typically 2x strong). They have been great so far (2 seasons) and I can still wear them driving, hiking, etc as only the bifocal section has been upgraded to be a little stronger than normal. All said, these only cost me about $100 over insurance.

d

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I got myself prescription sunglasses (they only come as polarized) for the first time this year.
I was tired of juggling 3 pairs of glasses while I fished.
My regular bifocals, fit-over or clip-on sunglasses, and the cheater type reading glasses. That's a lot of tangled Croakies !

First of all... I wish that I had gotten the sunglasses as bifocals. I figured that I needed the magnifiers anyway so why bother. Mistake. You don't always need magnifiers, but it's hard to do without the bifocals
Otherwise the convenience of only needing 2 pairs of glasses instead of three is working out pretty well for me and I'm glad I did it.
Now if I can only keep from loosing them. :D

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have needed distance correction since High School, with an Rx my vision is super sharp so, as an angler, Rx shades are a no-brainier for me. I got my first ones in the early 80's I think and have gone through diverse versions since then. Firstly, if you can handle the slight bit of extra weight, go with glass not plastic lenses; they are optically superior and have far less distortion plus are much more resistant to scratching. Smith's, Action Optics and Costa del Mar are the two dominant Rx Polarized suppliers to fisherman and have booth been around for some time. Their web sits can guide you through the process but let me instruct you that when you get your Rx from your Doctor, ask him to include your pupilary distance as well (the distance between the centers of your eyeballs). This is critical in having Rx glasses of any kind made. You can scan this Rx and e- it to Action Optics, pick out your frame style and lens tint and you are good to go. Copper is a great all round vision enhancing color, amber is ideal under cloudy conditions but some flats guides like it as an all round color too. Gray or green do little enhancement and mirror finishes simply diminish the amount of light that passes through the lens so forget that too. An 8-base curve (wrap around style) enhances peripheral vision and cuts annoying side glare but can introduce a bit of distortion. The above two companies have devised lens construction and grinding methods to reduce this phenomenon and I recommend the wrap around style. If you need close up correction they make their bifocals smaller than normal to preserve most to the lens for spotting fish. I have grown to consider my Rx Polarized glasses to be as essential, perhaps more critical than most of my other tackle, and will often travel with three pairs in different colors/densities. If you are a sight fisherman and need vision correction glass, fishing glasses will blow your mind they are so good.

Note that your local optometrist will not have the experience or availability of proprietary angling oriented tints as these specialty companies and it is critical that the lenses alignment be set to reduce glare coming from below as in off the water.

littledavid123

Reaction score
adseyewear.com This internet site is VERY GOOD. When I got my prescription polarized glasses in, one of the lenses appeared out of focus. Called them up and no problem they were all about getting me fitted correctly. Another cool think about them is they will mix and match lenses and frames. I got kaenon lenses mounted in Smith frames.

Dave

S

sbreech

I have needed distance correction since High School, with an Rx my vision is super sharp so, as an angler, Rx shades are a no-brainier for me. I got my first ones in the early 80's I think and have gone through diverse versions since then. Firstly, if you can handle the slight bit of extra weight, go with glass not plastic lenses; they are optically superior and have far less distortion plus are much more resistant to scratching. Smith's, Action Optics and Costa del Mar are the two dominant Rx Polarized suppliers to fisherman and have booth been around for some time. Their web sits can guide you through the process but let me instruct you that when you get your Rx from your Doctor, ask him to include your pupilary distance as well (the distance between the centers of your eyeballs). This is critical in having Rx glasses of any kind made. You can scan this Rx and e- it to Action Optics, pick out your frame style and lens tint and you are good to go. Copper is a great all round vision enhancing color, amber is ideal under cloudy conditions but some flats guides like it as an all round color too. Gray or green do little enhancement and mirror finishes simply diminish the amount of light that passes through the lens so forget that too. An 8-base curve (wrap around style) enhances peripheral vision and cuts annoying side glare but can introduce a bit of distortion. The above two companies have devised lens construction and grinding methods to reduce this phenomenon and I recommend the wrap around style. If you need close up correction they make their bifocals smaller than normal to preserve most to the lens for spotting fish. I have grown to consider my Rx Polarized glasses to be as essential, perhaps more critical than most of my other tackle, and will often travel with three pairs in different colors/densities. If you are a sight fisherman and need vision correction glass, fishing glasses will blow your mind they are so good.

Note that your local optometrist will not have the experience or availability of proprietary angling oriented tints as these specialty companies and it is critical that the lenses alignment be set to reduce glare coming from below as in off the water.
What he said. :D But my optometrist carries Oakley, so i'm very lucky. My Rx polarized glasses are wrap around with what Oakley calls HD lens - the prescription is the same in all locations - even peripheral - and it works. The bad thing is, they are $640 BEFORE insurance, and even with my insurance, I had to pay $140.00. Thank goodness for my flexible spending account...

whalensdad

Reaction score
I've been wearing prescription glasses for over 20 years. I've always had a non polarized pair for indoors and a polarized pair for my sun glasses. Been getting them at Lenscrafters for years and have never had a problem seeing the fish in the water when I remember to wear them ;). For the most art they are covered by insurance, unless you get expensive frames. Don't see a need to go to a specialty shop for a pair of polarized sun glasses. I do agree with the post above about getting glass lenses. You'll be happier in the long run. Also would suggest a frame neck cord. I had one pair lost on the river when they fell out of my pocket. I didn't realize it until the next day.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
speaking as a 27yo that has been stuck wearing glasses far too long already.. I suggest putting the money into a good flexible ti frame and nikor glass, to use as a daily glasses, they dont get much lighter, and fairly durable. I use the bps Cocoons over my glasses for polerizing, this way Im not stuck out there on a day with dark glasses with its cloudy and dark. and a 40 bucks you can get a pair for bright and a pair for darker days. hope this helps.
Mike

kayo

Reaction score
Long time glass wearer. My preference is bifocals for regular glasses but for polarized glasses prefer non bifocals. Reason is, I can see the fish much better and sharper. I'm near sited, so to see close up (tie knots) I just take them off.
Just my 2 cents. Got mine at Wall mart, depends on the optometrist you see but he did a great job. Got a frame made by "Bolle" (ski glasses frame), been wearing them for the last 6 years and still going strong.

FISHN50

Reaction score
Just a tip. The last time I had my eyes cked. I brought along a sz 20 fly & 6x tippet. I told the Dr. that that's what I want glasses for. I ended up with a pair of verilux bifocals that I can actually tie a fly on with them on

coug

Reaction score
I hear you on vision as we get old. I go through my eye doctor. I got a pair of prescription oakleys about five years ago but they were expensive. Got tired of using those plus magnifiers to put on flies, so last year got prescription Maui Jims with bifocals. Those were actually cheaper than the oakleys.