Polarized Sunglass Problems

Trout Bum

Reaction score
:shades:I've just hit that magic age where I can't see well up close any more. While fishing, with my polarized sunglasses, I can't see well enough to tie on. Prescription polarized sunglasses are very expensive. I've seen all typed of visual aid gadgets but I'm not sure which ones are good or bad. So I'm debating on getting prescription polarized sunglasses or try some vision aids. Does anyone have some experiences here that you'd like to share???

TB

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Get ahold of Steve, he sent me some sunglasses for some of the work I have done for him and he made the bottom part magnified.. He can help you out.

Cliff Hilbert

Reaction score
Buy a pair of the Flip Focal Lenses which are available at most of the fly fishing shops for about $15-20. Steve probably has them at his mail order shop, The Full Creel. They clip onto the bill of your hat and once you use them you'll never leave home without them. You can tie the smallest flies on with them. I've been using them for about three years and would be lost without them. I have bi-focal polarized sunglasses that I always wear on the water, but these are even better that the prescription glasses because the magnification is greater.

JBinUTAH

Reaction score
I have the flip focals now too. They are great and can see well enough to tie on the smallest. Just trying to beat old age!

Gordon Bryson

Reaction score
I wear prescription tri-focal glasses and buying sunglasses to that configuration is not practical. I could probably get by fishing with bi-focals, but then I found the slip overs that Orvis carries (made in Australia I believe) and they work very well. Or at least they did until I lost one of the lens. Oh well, that's a good excuse to get a new pair (make sure you get the amber tint rather than the gray or blue). They're about $40 at Orvis. Haven't checked to see whether Bass Pro or Cabela's carry them, or the FULL CREEL.