Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

Noiso

Reaction score
I saw an ad for these on a fly fishing blog. I will never buy a pair because they don't make my size - they stop 1-2 sizes short depending on how big/small they run (yes I AM still whining about this!).

Has anybody tried these boots - or more specifically this type of cleat system? Doesn't it look like the easiest thing in the world to do yourself?

Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I just put up a review of the Grip Studs wading cleat products. If you are in the market I have been wading then from little free stone streams in Pennsylvania last month the the deep swift & slippery rivers here at home and like the performance ;)

jaybo41

Reaction score
I swear by my Rivershed boots, best boot I have owned. Simms boots just seem to fit my foot better and certainly have the support that I'm looking for.

I'd bet anyone who's got the means to work with metal could crank those out pretty easily.

Speaking of Riversheds--now that you've had time on the water in yours Ard, how do you like them? I read your review on the studs which was great btw! Just curious as to your thoughts on those boots.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
The idea of Allie bars on the bottom of boots is not new by a long shot. Dan Bailey had what they called 'Stream cleats' which were an 'over shoe' you put on over your regular wading boot. The bottoms were 'wwwww' shaped bars. 'Clunkie' to just walk around in, but those bars will stick to any river bottom .... and I do mean any.

Allie is a soft metal and there for grab/cuts through just about anything. Run a metal drift boat solidly on a rock and you'll see what I mean. :wow:

Enough metal on these to do the job? Time, and someone with an extra $200+ bucks will have to report back on that. Candidly, you could take a 1/4'' allie bar and cut off sections to fit your existing felt bottom boots. Drill screw holes in the sections and apply with 8 x 1/2" screws and you're good to go for pennies on the dollar.

Noiso

Reaction score
Threadjack approved.

I am thinking about a pair of Simms anyway - the Freestones come in my size, but I need to try on a pair. I have also been looking at grip studs, Simms cleats and searching threads and sites on DIY cleats with machine screws. I'd love to see a link for the "Grip Studs" (and perhaps a link to your review Ard.) If you are going to hijack do it right. Do it with style. Ask yourself,"What would D.B. Cooper do?"

It actually took me a moment to find this on Google: Grip Studs Home Page

This was easier: Ard's Gripstuds/Hard Bite Star Cleat shootout - I look forward to reading it in its entirety.

Any and all info is welcome on this topic - cleats, studded boots, and DIY. I'll whine again, nobody makes my size - so any help on making my own or finding my size would be great.

fredaevans

Reaction score
Siiiigggghhhhhhh soo000 simples.

I'm going to assume these are felt bottom boots ....

Go to a 'big box store' and get yourself a box of #8 x 1/2 Allie sheet metal headed screws. As long as you've got a 1/2" of boot bottom these will never penetrate into the inside of the boot. Never as in NEVER.

Verible speed hand drill and boots done in 5 - 8 minutes ... even if you're fumbling a bit. Which you may well do the first time you do this 'retro-fit.'

Where do they go? 2" apart along the OUT SIDE EDGES of the felt has been by experience over the last 20 some'ish years. I don't put/sprinkle any down the middle."Your mileage may vary," but this way I get the bennies of both felt and studs.

Why? For me anyway, it's the rocks on the out side of where your standing that cause most of the 'problems;' assuming your wading 'safe.' (That boys and girls is why every one should be using a solid, NOT A FOLD UP, wading staff. Advertising, Ya-Hoossss,
of these things can kill you. Moving water (hydraulics) don't read the press releases; it just does what it does.

And you're TOAST.

fredaevans

Reaction score
On the topic of alternative studs, these seem to be gaining popularity amongst those in the fly fishing crowd. I haven't gone this route, I'm using the same Simms studs in Ard's review.

Tip: Stop Grossly Overpaying for Wading Boot Studs | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.
Have a box of these .... that I actually purchased/sent to me out of the UK. Haven't had the 'opportunity' to put same in the bottom of boots, but to say they (what they were designed/used for) are MOST impressive/aggressive would be an understatement.

fae

nickel

Reaction score
Noiso

I have had the Patagonia Rock grips for about 4 months and am pretty happy with them. My foot is a 12 so I ordered one sz up 13 and they are pretty big! so now I use them for winter with my thick socks and waders with 3mm stockings. These are very light boots! comfortable like wearing house slippers. I also wear Simms freestones and have been happy with them for years although a little (alot) heavier. I notice (while wearing) the Rock grips don't have as wide of a footbed as the freestones which tends to make me concentrate on my footing and stability more. The sole is softer and tends to flex more while walking/wading which is a plus and brings back that comfortability issue. Overall I have been happy with the Patagonia rock grips and would recommend them if your shoe size is 15? or smaller? Studs do come with them but I never installed them due to bad experience falling on dry land with studs and the studs they come with are huge!

henry_giles

Reaction score
Very good boots indeed - if undeniably somewhat pricey. Please see my review on fishandfly.com :thumbsup:

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of these. I got small feet. I had a pair of size 6 Sticky Boot Patagonias but the Rio Gallegos booties made wearing those impossible without taking out the shoe foot bed.

So I ordered the 6 and 7 Rock Grips. The 6 was roomier than the Stick Boot 6, but I prefer some room to layer a pair of wool sock underneath when it gets really cold. So I kept the size 7. I'll be wearing the new rock grips out next week...hitting a privately stocked spring creek. It has both silty areas and rocky areas. Photos and further review to come.

I've looked at the crampon style aluminium bars. I'm considering those over my Patagonia sticky boots for summer wet wading. These size 7's are a tad roomy when I wear them with 3mm neoprene booties, but we'll see if I fall all over the place this summer.