The Tent Thread;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Many times we camp in order to spend a few days at a river or creek. This thread (I hope) is meant to be a place for you to post pictures of your camps and the tents you use. I'll start off with a very old JanSport Yellowstone that has been serving me since 1980 / 1981. I am convinced that like many other things, they don't make them like they used to.

2 man 4 pole Dome, about a 4 minute pitch;

I have re-coated the rain fly twice over the years and it stays dry inside. For quick one night camps this is still my number one after 31 years of use. I don't believe there has been a year in all that time that I didn't use this tent. I have others and will post them once I see if tents are a subject of interest here.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Cool,

Here is the tent I use for serious weather shown at a distance; a North Face Expedition 25, 3 person. It is harder to pitch but will remain standing in wind gusts up to 80 mph.......

This is a better look, taken 2 seasons ago when I spent a week camped on the same river in early June.

When you use it out on open ground where wind will be an issue, all those little guy loops have their own cords and stakes for securing the tent. It is a solid shelter, I have had this one only 10 years. Something I have noticed about this North Face product is that the stakes are very good. They are cut from aluminum angle stock and are tough!

mudbug

Reaction score
Hmm, what do I have pics of?

Eureka Tetragon 8 (great tent at a fantastic price)

My old Kelty Crestone on the left, my brother's Cabelas XPG on the right, big Sportsmans warehouse tarp in the center just being used as a windbreak in front of our beer chairs.

I got rid of the Kelty Crestone. Nice tent but smaller than I wanted for an in betweener.

Now I have;

MountainSmith Altura - A small 1 person,easy to set up, very small and light.

Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2 - Says it's a two person tent, but those two people better like sleeping VERY close. It's a very light, tent and great for one person + some gear or a dog.

Eureka Tetragon 8 - Great tent for two people leaving space in the middle to wove and store stuff, would work ok for 3 people. I've had it stand up to winds that were laying down other people's tents.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
as the owner and well user of both the Eureka Apex 2xt and Alpine XT I swear by Eureka to keep me dry. and it has in some rediculus weather. I dont have many pics, but ill see what I can dig up.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand what you mean by a tent being too small, the one seen here was a Mountain Hardware Bivy 1 person. It was super light and worked great even packed on my bicycle but getting in and out was a regular chore. I used it for 4 years and then found someone who actually was looking for one...... So

mbphotos54

Reaction score

a photo i took of my apex for my works website.. yes I sell Eureka tents. :D no bias or nothing:D

wt bash

Reaction score
I used to just go with a army surplus hammock and a tarp for a rain fly but now I have one of those half a house things from Coleman. Its not bad you can sort of stand up and there's enough room for an air mattress and then small table off to the side. I'm not a fan of it and don't use it unless my girlfriend comes along. If I'm flying solo and it'll be somewhat of an extended stay I have an old A-frame (in dire need of an airout and water-proofing treatment).

mbphotos54

Reaction score
I will sometimes in cooler parts of the year go the hammock and tarp route, a few biners to clip the hamock around my legs and im good to go, but usually i go for extra comfort and pack the apex. and for that rare trip when its cold my alpine xt win, the thicker rain fly sets almost 8 inches from the inner tent.. it gets toasty.
Mike

Vans

Reaction score
I havent slept in a tent since i bought my first rv, 9 years ago. Now, 4 rvs later it is very easy to get used to having a nice comfy bed and your own clean bathroom. :)

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I swear up and down by coleman tents. We have two now, one is 4 person dome that I use when camping by myself or with 1 other person. the other is a Bayside, also a 4 person, but it will sleep 4 people, plus gear with walking space. Best thing about it is the 6' ceiling all the way to the edges. Granted my hair rubs but its nice being able to stand. Both of mine are in the "guide series" line, so they have the heavy tarp floors, double welded seams, watertight zippers etc. I have had the dome in some sever thunderstorms with 50 mph winds and buckets of rain, not a single drop has come in. Other tents in the group not so lucky.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I havent slept in a tent since i bought my first rv, 9 years ago. Now, 4 rvs later it is very easy to get used to having a nice comfy bed and your own clean bathroom. :)
I've thought about that but I like to think that the tents keep me young :D Honestly though, many of the places I have spent nights or even weeks, a tent is the only way to have some shelter.

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

Greg,

Severe weather is what lead up to the purchase of the North Face for me. I love a tall tent but sometimes the short height is what keeps it together. You ought to post a couple pictures (please :)) to show the construction if you have some. I like seeing other tents than what I own.

Vans

Reaction score
Yeah, i completely understand that. I just havent had the opportunity to disappear into the back country somewhere just to fish, yet. Hopefully someday i will.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
and just think of how many tents you can buy just with the gas money you spend filling a motor home.. let alone the cost of owning one.:D Ill stick to the tent, its called camping not moving your house to the woods for the weekend :D

Mike

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Now now; I think we can agree that waking up on a rainy morning in an RV would have its advantages. Camping comes down to choices; choices about destinations are the predominate ones that dictate tents, however I would often appreciate the comfort of walls and a furnace ;) Up here the heat thing is a player. I have a hard time motivating when everything including the tent is covered with a thick frost or worse. Often I think of getting just a small tow behind camper so that I could base camp from one area without dealing with the foul weather wakeup........:)

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello Flyfishing Friends,

I have two tents, a Hilleberg Allak, if weight is important (just 2,9kg) and one Eureka when I am going to the campcround together with my wife. The Hilleberg tent is for one person OK, with two persons you should love each other pretty much ;) The Eureka tent has two (or one bigger) sleeping areas and enough room to place a table and two chairs.

wannafish

Reaction score
A fellow at the doc's complained; "one day I feel like a teepee, next day I feel like a wigwam, what's the matter with me doc?"
Doc says, "easy, you're obviously too tense." :frogdance

mbphotos54

Reaction score
I meant nothing by my rv comment haha, I have enjoyed the comforts of rving before, and liked it. I dont forsee me ever being able to own one, unless you the Van Down By the RIver an RV.:D

Vans

Reaction score
The feel of the furnace blowing warm air out the vent right at the end of the bed as it wafts up under the blankets......

They have their place. It sure makes relaxing after a day on the water nice. Amazing what a little hot water, a furnace and a queen size bed will do for you.

That being said i would still jump at the chance to take one on a back country trip. In the lower 48 there just are not too many places left where it is required, more the shame.

I still have my old 3 man from my single days tucked away in the attic. :)