Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mangrove stripping basket

1. Default Mangrove stripping basket

Im looking for a Mangrove hip shooter stripping basket. Cabelas used to sell them and now they are no longer available. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could purchase one or if someone has one they would like to sell. Any help would be great, thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mangrove stripping basket

I don't like to see a post go unanswered. I don't have an answer for you but have you Goggled for these?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Default Re: Mangrove stripping basket

I have done some searches for them without success, it seems they may have been discontinued.

Blog Entries

There must be something similar. Have you considered shopping for a suitable container and making one?

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Are they anything like this; Packable Stripping Basket: Luggage and Gear Bags | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean basket

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

I just looked at the Cabalas page 'sold out' and I see they are not the same. The Bean looks serviceable, I may want one of those myself.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

I found one, but you gotta pay euros and here's one used if you don't mind that.

Orvis once sold a similar basket, but they don't have them anymore either
    Hmmmm......

In other news, their "durable" basket is on sale marked down from $79 to $65

what BANDITS !!!! ....it's a dish pan for ******sake !
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

7. Default Re: Mangrove stripping basket

Unless you're spey fishing, I think the Orvis basket is the best one out there. It's worth the money.

I don't see how anyone can build a better one.

BTW, the problem with the Bean basket is that's it's too wide and you'll hit your hand when you haul downward.

For spey casting I couldn't find the Mangrove basket, but I was able to find the replacement cones and pins at Fly Fishing Gear - Burleson Sporting Co.. I then built my own basket that I keep on my hips - not my front.

Randy

Blog Entries

Jeez these things are expensive! The used one is bid up to $79.00 at this time...........

I didn't even check the price of the Bean basket when I pasted the link but the price (I went to look) seems reasonable. I can see the width problem Randy speaks of with it though.

I guess if you really want one I would enter a bid that is at the upper limit of what I could live with and let it ride. If someone wants to pay 125 for a stripping basket then I would let them have it.

Good luck,

Ard

9. Default Re: Mangrove stripping basket

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will go ahead and make one my self, its crazy the prices they get for some of these!

Randy is right, the LL Bean basket hurts, especially in the fall and winter months. It's too wide and the edges are not molded over like the Orvis one. I have the Orvis, but only because I happened to find one used at a garage sale for $20. Before that I used a home made one for 5 years.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast