Carry On Kit Bag for Rod

mysticm

Reaction score
I have been looking for a kit bag (for fragile items) that I can carry onboard international flights.
I recently found a neat bag from Clear Creek (Rum City Runner) which allows one to carry on multiple 4 piece rods + reels/fly boxes/tools + limited clothing OR a breathable wader.
I know that Orvis makes a similar one, which only fits the rod and reels. Before I order the Clear Creek one, I wanted to check if there are others worth considering.

jaybo41

Reaction score
What ever you get be sure to check the dimensions to assure you can use same as a carry on.
Fred is spot on with this one. Seems the different carriers, size of aircraft and even destination all come into play.

My local fly shop recommends the Dakota bag by Fishpond. They swear by it when they travel to fish salt, The Bighorn, Alaska and the like.

fishpond - DAKOTA CARRY-ON ROD & REEL CASE

Personally when I travel, I carry a backpack with the things you mentioned (except waders) and put my rods in this one:

fishpond - OVERLAND TRAIL ROD TUBE CASE

Never had a problem with it so far. Assuming you are using single hand, 9 or 10 ft rods, and 4 pieces this is an ideal bag. There are other options for less coin but these dimensions on the tube are good to pay attention to.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I just picked up the Fishpond Bighorn kit bag. I have the large Cimarron travel bag (too big for a plane overhead) and needed something smaller for an overnight. You can get one on sale right now at cabelas...which is a deal. I go mine from a local authorized dealer and spent $30 more than cabelas....

Cabela's: fishpond Bighorn Kit Bag

It has integrated tube holder straps. It only held one change of clothes some toiletries reel/terminal tackle/sling pack, flip flops.

good luck.