Sun glasses, what's good?

bakerboy2222

Reaction score
What's the best fishing sunglasses, especially for low light conditions and polarized lenses. Looking for opinions so money is no object.

My eyes are horrible (baaaad prescription and colorblind) so I need all the help I can get.

Reactions: Ard

crruns

Reaction score
I got myself a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets in their angling specific polarized tint. I was looking at the split jackets, but they have more prescription options available in the Flak Jacket line. They weren't cheap (worth about 3 pairs of non-prescription Oakleys), but really, the lenses are quite amazing. The look is probably a little on the sporty side for some, but I do more running than fishing, so I'm okay with the look, and I prefer a little more coverage of a wrap-around lens.

I've had non-prescription Oakley in their brown polarized also, and colors really pop.

Reactions: Ard

williamhj

Reaction score
I have a pair of Natives with amber lenses that I really like. Lenses can be interchanged but I've only used the amber. Are you looking for prescription?

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
One thing I will say about those Flak Jackets...THEY ARE TOUGH! I ran a pair over in the machine picture below. After we dug all of the pieces out of the ground, it all popped back together and was as good as new! I was amazed and so was the guy that dropped them.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I'm not a good person to ask. I look for cheap, and prefer cheaters built in. Anytime I get expensive ones they are doomed right away. Cheap ones for some reason last and last. Sierra Trading Post usually has good ones at a real good price if you are still bent on a good pair. :cool:

bakerboy2222

Reaction score
Wow that was quick! I'm definitely seeing you gentlemen and gentle women enjoy shades. No I am not looking for prescription.

Can you tell light transmission just from lens color or is it different between brands? I'll be fishing mostly very low light so I need something with lots of transmission and something to reeeeally make colors pop to help with my hard time with color.

For the record, I am color deficient, basically I see half the color as normal people. Very common 10% of men have it.

FunkyFlyTying

Reaction score
Costa have just released a Sunrise lens here in the UK which is perfect for our murky weather.
I use them and find them superb.

fishiowa

Reaction score
What's the best fishing sunglasses, especially for low light conditions and polarized lenses. Looking for opinions so money is no object.

My eyes are horrible (baaaad prescription and colorblind) so I need all the help I can get.
For overcast days, early mornings I wear Costas with the yellow glass lenses. Love them for low light conditions. still get the benefits of polarization but doesn't make everything too dark to see.

bradyb

Reaction score
I use a pair of amber lens Smiths that I got on clearance. Polarization and fit is good, but I still get a headache after a few hours. Best I ever had were Maui Jims that I paid a good buck for. Crystal clear and comfy. Then they fell off the top of my head, cracked the lens, and I remembered why I don't spend big bucks on sunglasses.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
You can't run 'um over and have them survive but the "best" for visual aquity are real glass ploarized lenses from either Smith (Action Optics) or Costa del Mar. No distortion, no scratches. Yellow or amber photochromic are best in lower light, amber or copper on a normal day.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I used to swear by SMITHS. Had a pair that had interchangeable lenses (amber, yellow, black) all polarized. I lost the lenses and once the frame that held the lenses in cracked when I was camping (-10 degree weather). I now wear a pair of polarized, prescription Oakleys with their "river/stream" tinting. Evidently there was an "ocean" tinting available. Anyway, they cost $400 (I believe mostly for the prescription).

theboz

Reaction score
I'm not a good person to ask. I look for cheap, and prefer cheaters built in. Anytime I get expensive ones they are doomed right away. Cheap ones for some reason last and last. Sierra Trading Post usually has good ones at a real good price if you are still bent on a good pair. :cool:
Im with you Dan. Buy Oakleys my grandson yanks them off my hat ---history. Costa del mar end up in their namesake --- the ocean ! But get an $8
Pair of Berkleys can't lose them , break them or give them away! Saves money even if I'm not stylin! Haha!