Simms G3 convertibles question

comeonavs

Reaction score
I am bout to pull the trigger on some G3's. They are crazy spendy but it is like shoes I have $400 dress shoes that are 12 years old and tons of $50 pairs have came and went. So I am hoping for similar results with waders. I bought some simms freestones 3 years ago and they have been ok but not being breathable is lousy in the summer when I need them (stink central :eek:). So as I venture in to Rocky Mt Winter fishing and finding I am fishing more spots that require waders in the summer time to step up.

Anyone use the convertibles ? I read a few reviews elsewhere that were less than flattering to Simms use of velcro. I trust your guys opinion better than random internet reviews. I really want the convertibles as waist highs seem like a great option. If the system that makes them convertibles is lacking in quality I would just as soon buy the full length ones and live with it.

Convertibles....yes or no ?

thewalker1013

Reaction score
I personally love em, though they are not perfect... Design flaws I see (that don't outweigh the fact that they are comfortably stored when converted)

1. I have recently converted to using mostly a hip pack, and turning it around my waist has a tendency to undo the Velcro

2. The front pocket is pretty small (though I guess it has to be to keep them not feeling bunchy when converted down), and is not accessible when they're converted down, which stinks if you like to keep a camera, etc. in there

3. I would like to be able to sit down in them without the Velcro coming undone... Maybe just need to get used to loosening the straps first

Again, I love these, and I'm someone who's never really totally satisfied with my gear (this coming from a guy who posted on here that I'd like to get rid of my Sage 599 after one season to go down just one size to a 499).

I would put some on in the store and walk, sit, move around, maybe even put on a pack in the store and go through the motions that you particularly go through on the water.

Nothing, it seems, is ever perfect for everyone... There are tradeoffs to be considered with every purchase (unless one is an impulse buyer). I recommended these to a buddy from Denver who was looking to invest in a solid pair for the first time, and another buddy of his talked him out of em...

We went fishing the other weekend and were both happy in our waders. I wish mine had his hand warmers and he's pretty sure if it gets hot enough to convert down then he'll just wet-wade (Maybe if I still lived in CO and was still used to the cold instead of living in TX, I'd feel the same way? Probably not, I fish a lot more than he does...)

Hope this helped and didn't add to the confusion :confused:

comeonavs

Reaction score
Thank you,

You didn't add confusion but confirmed what I read elsewhere. So now my real dilemma begins. I prefer to use a hip pack over a vest,but I don't really sit down a lot on the river, maybe crouch or kneel to keep a lower profile.

I guess what I will end up doing is trying the full length G3 or 4's on and if they roll down to simulate waist highs easy enough then I will go that route. I am not real hopeful there though as my freestones are a pain to roll down.

thewalker1013

Reaction score
Thank you,

You didn't add confusion but confirmed what I read elsewhere. So now my real dilemma begins. I prefer to use a hip pack over a vest,but I don't really sit down a lot on the river, maybe crouch or kneel to keep a lower profile.

I guess what I will end up doing is trying the full length G3 or 4's on and if they roll down to simulate waist highs easy enough then I will go that route. I am not real hopeful there though as my freestones are a pain to roll down.
I had the same issue, I found the Velcro on the convertibles way less of a pain and way more comfortable than any rolling job I've ever done.

If you wear your hip pack on the front, the Velcro will never be an issue. If you wear it around back and swing it to the from when you need it, my thinking is that you'll get used to it and re-strapping a couple of times (the velcro doesnt come undone every time I swing the pack around, and i think I've got it down now where it rarely happens) during a day will seem a very minor inconvenience

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
I also love my pair of G3's. I have fished withthem for about 4 months now and have no significant negitives to mention. Yes, the front pocket is small, but if that is my biggest complaint, I think the money spent was worth while. Hope that helps.

comeonavs

Reaction score
So went with no intention of buying, just looking

They have the G4Z on a closeout....now I am totally at a loss what to buy

thewalker1013

Reaction score
ouch, that's tough... I'd love to have those, too. I really like the convertible factor, so I still think I'd take mine over the G4Z, but that's just me. When I get it in my head that I want something, I regret not getting it if i don't, and I get pretty hot so I HAD to have the convertibles

comeonavs

Reaction score
I love the idea of the convertibles, but the zipper feature really is on par with me. The ability to get the full length ones on and off easier sounds great, can unzip to cool down and water the bushes.

I seem to fish the front range a lot from March to June which is high cold water and moderate air temps so I need full lengths. July-Sep I can and do primarily wet wade except for a few rivers I go to where I end up man boob deep in slow water a lotOct-Dec the water is so dang cold and the air is cool so the fulls wont be to warm.

Sounds like I might have just talked myself in to the G4Z's....or the convertibles

I'm waffling on this so much I should run for congress

comeonavs

Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger on the G4Z'z

So far they pass the walking around the living room test. Cant wait to try them on the water.