Keeping Your Feet Warm

dennis_t

Reaction score
What is the best socks to keep your feet warm. Went fishing at Taneycomo today, and needless to say my feet were freezing. This only took about 2 hours before I couldn't stand it or feel my feet for that matter. The wife suggested electric socks, but I don't have an extension cord long enough! Would the battery operated socks work? Or, is there another alternative?

Thanks

jcw355

Reaction score
I don't even wear wool socks anymore, I just wear my liner socks and my feet are just as warm. I think the key is to have "room" in your stockingfoot waders. Leaving my wool socks off allows this. It wasn't overly tight to begin with and next pair of wading boots will be 2 sizes bigger than my regular feet size instead of 1 size.

S

sbreech

I wear a pair of Simms sock liners and the heaviest Wigwam (Made in USA) Merino wool socks they make. Inside the my waders (I wear stocking foot breathables year round, with neoprene booties), I usually wear a pair of thermals, a thin flannel long pant, and sweats over those. I stay plenty warm, even in 36 degree waters when the air temp was 9 degrees. I don't tie my boots very tight to make sure I have room for my feet to breathe and not cut off any circulation.

My nose and fingers, however, were quite cold. Also, the eyes on my rod kept freezing up. That sucks.

williamhj

Reaction score
When it's really cold I wear two pairs of smart wool socks. One really fits my feet (also use them with dress shoes when it's cold) and the outer pair is thick and soft. Those, with my fleece pants, work well. Feet can get cold but not too bad.

plecain

Reaction score
A couple of people have mentioned the 'not too tight' angle.
I got in real trouble in northern Maine on a hunting trip by wearing too many socks (two pair).
My feet were freezing and I was a long way from camp. I sat in what sun there was and removed my boots and took off one of the pairs of socks.
Problem solved - I was fine after that.

mysticm

Reaction score
Someone else mentioned about the importance of an air pocket around your feet & boot. I will echo that based on my experience, I fish all year around and used to wear a polypro liner sock + wool hiker pair inside my stocking foot waders (inside the wading boots).
I would routinely get very cold feet & was getting frustrated when after reading about winter hiking in some of the outdoor forums, I decided to try wearing just the wool hiker socks (one pair). Surprisingly this resolved my problem and I rarely get cold feet anymore.
If you prefer wearing the liner + wool sock combo, go with a larger sized boot. This will allow you to still maintain a layer of air (warmed from body heat) between your sock'd foot and the boot.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Several threads like this going on at the moment, here and in the UK.

Here on the Rogue River the water temp will run between 52 to 56 degrees year round. Air temp is, can be, quite a different thing.

1. 6 months = silk sock liners and SealSkin booties ... we'll come back to that.

2. 6 months = silk sock liners, light knee high wool sock and SealSkin booties.

Tight boots are a no-no, but the real no-no is sweat, yes you read that right. Even on a cold day the average male will 'sweat' close to a quart to a liter of water. You can't stop it, it is just who we are.

And your feet sweat, trust me even as you're sitting in front of your lap top your feet are sweating. Soooooo water against cold water = cold feet.

Been doing this for years and other the odd one off (get out of the water and stomp around to kick in body heat) you do # 1 or #2 above and your gold.

Why? The silk under sock wicks away the water (aka sweat) into the inner lining of the SS's. They move it out/away from your feet. Not unusual to find the inner's dry as bone and the exterior of the SS's to be damp.

Guys, drop a few bucks, you'll find I'm right. Get the 'sweat' away from your feet.

'Doctor Evans'
;)

Sep

Reaction score
Big fan, here, of Sealskinz. Available at many/most outdoor stores like REI and through Amazon. Fred's system is the way to go. Key is being sure your boots are big enough (as many have mentioned to this point).

Good stuff.

Sep

nickj

Reaction score
I have sock liners with Mylar woven into them. Those with a pair of wool socks work for me. I have glove liners made of the same stuff that work just as well.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Wool socks! In case it hasn't been mentioned...wool socks. Oh yeah; did I mention wool socks yet? :D

I fish year round no matter what the temps are. I have fished and waded in single digit temps.

I have a two layer system for my feet. The first payer is a pair of nylon dress socks. The purpose of this is two-fold. First, it creates a small pocket or air. Second, and this is probably the most important to me. It stops the wool socks from itching my feet.

The second layer is wool socks. I have various brands, colors, styles,etc...they are all wool though.

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello,

I can recommend "Tennis-socks" and over that wool socks. My wife and my grandmother are knitting socks in "mass production", so that I have a very long experience with that ;)

itchmesir

Reaction score
I wear 2 pairs of smartwool socks.. nice thing is they are thinner than most wool socks.. and keeps my feet plenty warm on those days my waders are covered in ice

rockriver

Reaction score
A poly liner sock under a pair of Smart Wool expedition winter socks and a pair of boots that are sized for this combination.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have found that the real key to not minding cold feet is to stay fishy. Whenever I am catching fish within a reasonable timespan of one another I have never noticed cold hands or feet :D Beyond that little trick, I find that I agree with the don't pile too much on the feet theory that others have put forth. It also helps to be on the move time to time walking from area to area, I think this may help with circulation issues to the extremities 'like the feet' and I find that the walk takes the mind off any discomforts as well. The absolute best strategy is to follow the guide lines laid out by Harry Callahan from the movie 'Magnum Force', "A man's gotta know his limitations". There are just some days that going fishing is not the best choice.

We have one river (225 miles from here) that does not freeze over during winter and I go down there a couple times each year between November & April. The trick is to hit the days when it's gonna be at least 35* or better. Otherwise between the cold hands, the cold feet, and all that ice clinging to the fly line and the rod............... Well, it's just not as much fun as it should be. When I was younger I fished through some terrible weather but I don't ever remember any real banner days of catching. Others may have excellent days sub freezing and to them I say bravo, but I've become accustomed to knowing my and my gears limitations.

Ard

ted4887

Reaction score
I'm also someone who really limits what goes on my feet. Generally, it's a pair of thin liners followed up by a pair of wool socks. Other than that, I stay out of the water as much as possible, and stay moving. I can't say I've ever had a day end due to cold feet. It's generally because my fingers and face are too cold.

Itch - About time you got active over here! Now get yourself into some of the fly swaps

popperfly

Reaction score
I don't even wear wool socks anymore, I just wear my liner socks and my feet are just as warm. I think the key is to have "room" in your stockingfoot waders. Leaving my wool socks off allows this. It wasn't overly tight to begin with and next pair of wading boots will be 2 sizes bigger than my regular feet size instead of 1 size.
Living in Michigan for over 42 years I learned not to over layer, I would agree with JCW355 100%, leave room in your wading boots is the key factor otherwise it prevents or reduces the passage of your body heat. What happens when you over layer to much you’re restricting the blood flow and not allow your feet to breath, by having room the air around your feet acts as a natural insulator.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Fishing today the water started out in the mid 40's and warmed up to
The low 50's on e the sun births river. I was very comfortable with
A smart wool liner sock made for skiing. They ride up just below the
Knee and are very thin over that, a thick pair of the Simms Extreme sock.