Colorado XT Pontoon

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I have been wanting this pontoon for a while now and think I will finally pull the trigger. It has everything I want in a toon and is a good price. I have a friend that used one on a float trip and she loved it but I thought I would see if anyone here owns one and get their opinion on it. Has anyone added a grab rail to stand up and fish on one of these? I am guessing with the 9' pontoons it is probably plenty stable.

bigfoot158

Reaction score
I know i am new here but I have shyed away from this boat. I too am in the market for a pontoon boat. Just some of the reason i dont like it.

1. 2 year warranty
2. made in china
3. read too many bad reviews on things breaking on it

I am at a dilima with my decision. I have been looking at the outcast pac 1000, renegade x5 and the steelheaders. Not sure which i will go with. hopefully the people that know these boats will chime here.

mojo

Reaction score
I found out long ago, most people that put up a post like this have already made up their minds. MOST PEOPLE, not all.
I agree with the Bigfoot158. You get what you pay for. Plus, there are too many places to get your line hung up. Now I can understand that there are a lot of people that can't afford a NFO, or a made in USA Outcast (most are made overseas). But saving up or getting a deal on a "pre-owned" one is the best way to go. Remember, just because one friend/person likes/loves it doesn't mean it's going to fit your criteria. I've been doing this long enough to really see the good from the bad, along with experience it. But Joni and I use ours more than the average fisherperson. I've had the bad (16-17 years ago) and the good. My life is more important than the difference of a few hundred dollars. But, if your hearts set on it, just get a good PFD and have fun. Just don't drill holes in the frame for accessories, and after a day on the water, disassemble the frame and let the moisture dry up.
If you only plan on using it a couple times a year, go for it.:thumbup:

bigfoot158

Reaction score
Are these NFO that good? I am not sure about that bladderless deal. And i cant find nothing on the material denier either.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I am definitely not set on anything in particular and actually decided against the Colorado. We are buying 2 at the same time so I want to keep them under $1,000 each since I don't even know if I will like fishing from one. I had looked at the frameless NFOs but would rather something with a frame. I am thinking about the fish cat 9 and if I love using a toon, I will consider upgrading next year. 95% of its use will be in ponds so I am not concerned about popping a bladder and being in danger because of it. The option for trolling motors on the framed pontoons will be nice on the larger pike waters we will fish.

I know what you mean about people being set on an item they ask for opinions about. I have seen threads 10 pages long of people telling someone to stay away from an item they asked about, they get it anyways and then complain about how crappy it is. Talk about annoying! Rest assured, when I ask about something on here I want honest opinions and will consider all before making a decision.

bigfoot158

Reaction score
There a NFO that has a frame its the outlaw x5 but it not at a k or less. I was consider it because of weight capacity of 1200 lbs. I weigh in at 297 lbs so the extra tackle and motor would be nice upgrades later. But know i wonder if it worth 1600 bucks :confused: .

mojo

Reaction score
There a NFO that has a frame its the outlaw x5 but it not at a k or less. I was consider it because of weight capacity of 1200 lbs. I weigh in at 297 lbs so the extra tackle and motor would be nice upgrades later. But know i wonder if it worth 1600 bucks :confused: .
How much are you worth? J/K.
Bladderless toons are going to be all surviving kickboat/tube manufacturers main selling points as are being frameless 10 years from now. My New Years prediction. Denier rating on pcv coated vinyl- does it exist. Denier is usually nylon or yarn thickness if I recall.
We've had bladderless kickboats for a few years now. Have had no problems, unlike we did with bladdered ones. Vinyl bladders are at the bottom of the list and the cheapest bladder. The newer vinyl is much better than the vinyl of a few years back. Then you have the urethane bladdered toon's/ tubes. Better than vinyl. Little pinholes seem to pop up no matter how careful you are. Most leaks come from a little grain of sand that gets between the skin and the bladder. It sits and slowly works a hole in the bladder.
Look for a used one (X5) you should be able to find one for a grand. That will hold it's value there for a few years.
And the reason you're looking at a X5 is the capacity? The Renegade is frameless, 9' long with an 800 lb. capacity. The X5 Outlaw is 10 1/2' and a 1000 lb. capacity (not the 1200 you mentioned)
The Renegade sells for $999. With the shows coming up, you might want to find one and check them out for yourself.
Any questions pm me.
Alan

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Welcome to the forum Bigfoot. Where are you located and why are the photos of you always blurry? :confused: I'm sorry. Couldn't resist the joke. I'd take Mojo and Joni's advice on this. They have been using them a long time and alot per year. You can't buy better advice.

drahcirb

Reaction score
I own a Colorado xt pontoon. I liked the cheap price and accessories. Also you can attach an electric motor to the the frame. Now that I own it the cons are its heavy. Many cheap parts. I had an ore lock break on me before a set of rapids once. There's a reason it's stamped for class 1 water. When your out on a lake the weight of the battery and motor make your boat rear heavy and the back sinks quite a bit. Even with the frame and seat moved all the way forward. If I'm fly fishing on a calm lake I stand up on my seat. I would really like to have a little platform and grab bar. I got a little aluminum for lakes now and only use my pontoon to run rivers. I really wish I had something else and really like those Dave scadden nfo boats. Maybe a two or three person boat instead of two singles could be an option. In a river that means someone is always fishing while one navigates. Or my friend has a two person pontoon with a frame that can be shrunk to use with just one person. With the longer pontoons the motor and battery doesn't sink the boat as bad. Let us know what u decide on.
Cheers
Richard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Richard: I have an NFO Rampage and use it in both lakes and rivers, I bought the motor mount accessory and have run it with both an electric motor or a 4 hp gas motor without having the kind of issues you describe with the backend submerging, it operates great with either option. Most of the time while fishing I just use the fins to move from spot to spot or to counter the wind, but use the motor to move long distances when I don't feel like rowing. The Rampage is out of the $1k price range but I really like the extra room it provides giving me the option to use dry bags and pack camping gear for an extended trip. Best of all is the light weight making it a breeze to get in and out of a vehicle (40 lbs) and the fact that I can haul it inflated in the back of the pickup or deflate the toon and pack it easily in the back of the Subaru Outback. When the girlfriend wants the truck to haul her horses, I still have an option of going fishing with the Rampage in the back of the Outback. For being a frameless model, it is flat amazing how well it rows and tracks across the water and how fast it will move under oar power.

Larry

bigfoot158

Reaction score
Nice info Mojo I am listening contently. lol U asked many question so I will go in order lol. I am worth the 1699.00 but only if I can justify it to the misses. I got the 1200lb rating at Cabela's: Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.. Which might be a misprint. I liked what you said about the sand never would have consider that as a problem. I want to stay with the frame models because I am a metal worker so modifying the boat will be easy for me. Plus I live in Ohio mostly will be running lakes and a couple small rivers maybe class 1. When on the lake for the weekend I will have at least 6 fishing poles with me. The frameless models dont offer enough fishing pole room for me.

mojo

Reaction score
6 rods?
Joni usually takes 4, I usually take 3. One loaded with floating, one with intermediate, one with type II/III (depends on what part of the season it is) and or one with type V or VII, depending on the depth of the water. Plus extra spools with other lines d/c or wet cell full sinkers. Rio has a new lake line out called In Touch. No stretch.....
I can see 3 or 4 but 6?
Scotty glue on and Scotty tree. We put this on this past summer.

schiff

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures and the reminder of Joni's "Pimp My Ride" thread.
I just ordered the Scotty glue on rod holder set up for my Assault.
I am more of a Minimalist, so this is the first add-on I have decided on.
I plan to add some D rings and a hard or soft platform on the front of this boat also to act as a shelf to place some overnight camping gear and hopefully my soon to be fishing partner/dog (Cocker Spaniel- Poodle mix)
Molly. She should fit nicely up front.

I would also agree that the bladder-less system is a great way to go and these tubes are tuff. The Susquahanna, Delaware and Lehigh rivers were all very low this summer and I floated over rocks and gravel with no hesitation.
I don't have a toon like the Colorado, but always hear the subject of wind resistance come up when discussed, so I would think hard about that aspect...a motor would fix that though I supose.
Lastly, 6 rods...! Now that is some serious fishing going on there.

bigfoot158

Reaction score
I dont want a boat for just paddling I want a fishing machine. With that said I need 2 poles for bass 2 for crappie that i use minnows on 2 for catfish and when i say catfish I mean the 20 lb to 100 lb range. lol thanks for the picture that is something to consider there. I would only need 2 of them one for each side.

mudbug

Reaction score
How much are you worth? J/K.
Bladderless toons are going to be all surviving kickboat/tube manufacturers main selling points as are being frameless 10 years from now. My New Years prediction. Denier rating on pcv coated vinyl- does it exist. Denier is usually nylon or yarn thickness if I recall.
We've had bladderless kickboats for a few years now. Have had no problems, unlike we did with bladdered ones. Vinyl bladders are at the bottom of the list and the cheapest bladder. The newer vinyl is much better than the vinyl of a few years back. Then you have the urethane bladdered toon's/ tubes. Better than vinyl. Little pinholes seem to pop up no matter how careful you are. Most leaks come from a little grain of sand that gets between the skin and the bladder. It sits and slowly works a hole in the bladder.
Look for a used one (X5) you should be able to find one for a grand. That will hold it's value there for a few years.
And the reason you're looking at a X5 is the capacity? The Renegade is frameless, 9' long with an 800 lb. capacity. The X5 Outlaw is 10 1/2' and a 1000 lb. capacity (not the 1200 you mentioned)
The Renegade sells for $999. With the shows coming up, you might want to find one and check them out for yourself.
Any questions pm me.
Alan

This is just not fair.

Many people use these less expensive boats every day without dying and with very little problem.

One day I will own an NFO, but until that day I'll fish my $200 toon on lakes and even the waters off puerto penasco without worry of dying.

Are the NFO boats better? I'm sure they are, but my cheapo creek company toon and served me just fine for 2 years and I've never felt in danger.

bigfoot158

Reaction score
I have been looking a Nucanoe also and the more I look at the candy the more cornfused I get. All these boat have pros and cons now which will work for a fisherman and child that cant yet control her rods. The pontoon type I dont know if a hook would puncture the boat or not seems it would where the nucanoe I dont think would. Setup time is shorter with the nucanoe vers the toons. The fun on both are equal. lol Just a matter of how much it will cost me.

mojo

Reaction score
This is just not fair.

Many people use these less expensive boats every day without dying and with very little problem.

One day I will own an NFO, but until that day I'll fish my $200 toon on lakes and even the waters off puerto penasco without worry of dying.

Are the NFO boats better? I'm sure they are, but my cheapo creek company toon and served me just fine for 2 years and I've never felt in danger.
Sure they do. But I've known two people with the Creek Co. kickboats have them break (not in the same year, one this year, one last). The frames broke and one guy lost all his gear. The other guy was closer to shore and was able to get in quickly. Thin metal frames that rust through and break. You could probably own the thing for 10 years and nothings going to happen. Just inspect your frame and especially check for cracks at the welds. Face it, made in China to keep costs down, thin metal frames, vinyl bladders, built for the masses. $200 for a kickboat, hope you never have any problems. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from getting what they want. I didn't mean to come across as battering cheap kickboats. But I've had the cheap ones and good ones. There is a hell of a difference. Just be safe and wear a pfd.

Last edited:

zug buggin

Reaction score
I had a Colorado Xt Pontoon, It is a decent bottom end/ middle of the road pontoon. One thing I've discovered I'll never own another that doesn't have some type of floor under my seat/feet. Not for standing but for catching everything I drop. If you look at the pontoon everything you drop goes into the water and is gone forever. I've lost way too many flies, tools, ect from dropping them.