Recommendation for a Sling Pack?

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking to buy a sling pack for summer fishig when it is too hot for wearing a vest. I could imagine that it is very practically to move the bag quickly and easily on my back so that it don´t disturb during fishing. Does anybody have some experience with these bags and could give a recommendation?

Reaction score
i bought one of these. Holds all my fly boxes (about 7) as well as some other odds and ends.
The reason i bought this is because i believe the 'big brand' bags are way overpriced for what you get. A bag with a name on it. This on has no name and works just as well
This is it customized with TFM patch

jaybo41

Reaction score
Other than the options mentioned which certainly will get the job done, Patagonia has a fishing pack that has gotten some favorable reviews, the Atom Stealth.

Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling

Some of our board members have provided reviews:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/gear-reviews/289943-patagonia-stealth-atom-sling.html

They also make a non fishing specific pack as well. Patagonia's warranty is top notch, though they are pricy.

Patagonia Atom Bag

I recently picked up a Fishpond Westwater Sling and I've been pretty pleased with it so far. I wanted something water resistant for Steelhead fishing and fishing in general in the rain. The ONLY downside to this pack is that it doesn't have any bottle holders, were as the Patagonia Atom Stealth does. There is certainly plenty of room inside the pack for it though. It's one large pocket, with 2 smaller pockets on the inside. It's large enough to fit a jacket, thermos, water bottle and few fly boxes into.

fishpond - WESTWATER SLING

Alternatively, there is another option. You could opt for the waist pack that has a shoulder strap to it, this way you get the best of both worlds. The sling certainly keeps the pack away from interfering with casting. The more I fish with it, the more I like it.

itchmesir

Reaction score
I like the Orvis one I have.. I really would like one of the Patagonia Stealth Atoms.. but they are a pretty penny for sure.. So I'll just stick with what I got

Jimmie

Reaction score
I'm pleased with my Orvis Sling also. It's got a waist strap in addition to the shoulder sling so it doesn't flop around while rock hopping. It also seems easier for me to find stuff in the one large pocket as always searching the pockets of my vest. Holds lunch too.

ghocevar

Reaction score
Patagonia Stealth Atom sling all the way...switched from the Orvis sling because it had more features and even a water bottle holder.

axle27

Reaction score
Some people call it a pack...I calls it a slang pac...

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I love the L.L. Bean sling. It's bigger than the Orvis sling, has three compartments, and has a waist belt for heavier loads.

However, the shoulder strap is stiff, when when walking and wearing a light shirt, the strap is very uncomfortable. I taped a neoprene strip onto the strap and that really helped.

Randy

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

Many, many thanks for all your answers!!! I did not expect so many replies in such a short time :worthy: This is really an evidence for the high quality of this awesome forum respectively an evidence for the kindness of the members :clap::clap::clap:

I think I will either buy an Orvis pack or the Patagonia pack when I will be in the USA in January.

schiff

Reaction score
i bought one of these. Holds all my fly boxes (about 7) as well as some other odds and ends.
The reason i bought this is because i believe the 'big brand' bags are way overpriced for what you get. A bag with a name on it. This on has no name and works just as well
S Fontinalis, I saw your post and ordered one for myself. It came yesterday and I really like it! Much more room than I thought I would get. Thanks for the suggestion. I have used an Old Navy nylon shoulder bag for a few years and it has reached the point of no return...it was my daughter's and she gave it to me as a fly fishing bag. It worked great, but I can't find another that is the same. Thanks again..!

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello,

I just came back from the USA and I bought an Orvis "Save Passage Sling Pack". In my opinion a really nice pack for warm summer days, when I do not want to carry too much equipment with me. It is also very easy to handle, comfortable to wear and is well made.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL TIPPS!!

quimby

Reaction score
Does this bag work as a "sling type?" Meaning, can you rotate the bag around so it is out of the way when you are fishing?

schiff

Reaction score
I have used mine twice now. I made a modification by cutting off the inside nylon closure top with draw string. It is a shoulder bag and you can swing it around to your back. After moving around, it does work its way back to your side. I don't notice it is there, but by habit, I toss it to my back after accessing. I am not sure about "Sling Type', since I never bought an Official fly fishing specific bag. The last few years I have been using my daughter's black nylon Old Navy shoulder bag. She got it for $10 and gave it to me when i said it would be a perfect fishing bag. I have looked for another, but they don't seem to make that design any more.

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello,

I saw that the sling packs which were made/designed as a sling pack have the advantage that the zippers are exactely in a horizontal position if you move the pack in front of you. Some other packs which I thought to use as a sling pack did not show this advantage and it could become difficult to open tha packs and some items could fall out too.

rockriv

Reaction score
Simms is a favorite for me. The Dry Creek to be exact. Mostly water resistant and big enough for 3 boxes of flies and a bottle of water. can change from waist pack to sling pack.

ruud

Reaction score
Novice question here: What do you guys use to keep your camera and phone dry? I'm afraid a sling pack is not safe enough.

Ruud

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Novice question here: What do you guys use to keep your camera and phone dry? I'm afraid a sling pack is not safe enough.

Ruud
I believe that patagonia is redoing their packs with a newer "T" zipper that make the bag submersible proof. No sling pack on the market is yet waterproof when submersed.

I keep my iPhone in a LIFEPROOF iphone case. It works, I've taken underwater shots with it and video.

As for camera I leave the canon 7d at home most times (unless the section I will fish is small and there is plenty of banks to shoot off of), and I opt to take my Olympus Tough TG-2. It has a fast 2.0 lens for lo light shooting. Does great.

I have the Orvis sling pack (not the ridiculously huge one), but if Patagonia makes their back submersible I'll get one and take the Canon out more...but I'll still drop it in a seal waterproof bag.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

A few improvements for the Orvis sling pack:

• reverse the direction you pull the strap to tighten it. IMO, it should be pulled UP not down to tighten it. Pulling up seems more natural, especially if you're doing it one handed and would make it easier to tighten the load down. Tightening down, for me requires 2 hands (1 for the pack and 1 for the strap) to get it really tight.

• add more tarpaulin places to thread a zinger. Fishpond does this RIGHT with tons of them everywhere. It would make sense to put a few on the strap that goes across your chest

• get rid of the magnetic hemostat pocket

kuch

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the iphone case. I am going to check out the Lifeproof case.

osok

Reaction score
Saved a lot of money with purchase of Magellan sling pack. Carries my lunch, water, boxes and everything else needed for a successful day on the water. Very well made and my friend who has the Orvis wishes I had brought first so he would have known and saved money. Academy stores sell them down here. Goggle them.