Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What vise do I need?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What vise do I need?

I own a variety of vises, but currently tie on the Renzetti Traveler. I also favor the Anvil Apex. Both are solid vises and within your price range.

I just did a tying demo at a local fly shop and was chided for not using the rotary feature on my Renzetti, but I just don't feel like it saves any time or effort in my tying and I do tie a lot.

Kelly.

P.S.: There are worse "vices" than tying flies... (I just couldn't resist, sorry )
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

2. Likes drc liked this post

I "splurged" on renzetti traveler a year ago w/clamp. I added on a catch bag, light and magnifier glass. I'm tying mostly streamers but will start smaller dries this winter. Renzetti is a great small family company right in Florida. Recently ordered the pedestal base to move around the house more. I use the rotary function now and then (mostly tying beards onto Kreelex flies) but I guess you could just take the fly out and invert it. The traveler comes with a swing arm bobbin cradle...that gets used every so often. I'm gonna also start tying some classic salmon patterns for presentation/gifts wall fodder. I'm sure the traveler will do that well too. For me, I haven't seen any reason to upgrade.
    "...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

Art: http://www.gravenfish.com

My TU:
    http://massanuttentu.com

Here is a nice little review of 5 vises bewtween $100 - $150.
    http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re..._$100-$150.htm
    Last edited by dean_mt; 12-22-2012 at 08:39 PM.

5. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thank Goodness we're talking about 'vise,' not 'vice!'

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

7. Likes dean_mt liked this post

Take hooks sized to what you will typically use and go to a good fly shop and try multiple vises. The more you try the better. Rotary is nice but, typically, not a requirement. Net/net: try many, buy one that will last.

Peak rotary vise is a very good vise and will grasp a wide range of hook sizes. The rotary feature I find of good necessity when you spin a dubbing loop for flies like seal buggers to hares ear nymphs. If you have a long dubbing loop to wrap on a hook shank this is where a rotary vise shines.

10. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Peak rotary vise is a very good vise and will grasp a wide range of hook sizes. The rotary feature I find of good necessity when you spin a dubbing loop for flies like seal buggers to hares ear nymphs. If you have a long dubbing loop to wrap on a hook shank this is where a rotary vise shines.
    I too am using a Peak Rotary and have been very pleased with it. If you are tying small, say 16 and below, I'd consider adding the midge jaws. They're much easier to tie small flies with. Great vise for the money with a very sturdy base.

That link dean posted is as solid of a vise review as I've seen for the more commonly used vises and a recommendation that I too steer people to when they're looking for an everyday type of vise. If you can, it's not a bad idea to go to a shop and test them out so you can see how tying on it would be. At the same time, when I chose the Peak, I had my budget set, looked at reviews, made up my mind and pulled the trigger. I have no regrets with this process. I think a vise is something we just adapt to when using it. Sometimes we put too much thought into finding the "perfect vise". Really, if it has good jaws that hold a hook well, fits your budget and has an appearance pleasing to you, it's going to be a good one.

If I were a commercial tier, or presentation tier, I might use some additional logic in purchasing a vise, but for my own personal needs that's what's important.
    Last edited by jaybo41; 01-18-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

12. Likes kayo, Mrtrout liked this post

The Peak at work with the midge jaw and extender.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...5/P1070216.JPG

14. Likes jaybo41, drahcirb liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kayo View Post
    The Peak at work with the midge jaw and extender.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...5/P1070216.JPG
    Kayo, nicely done home made parachute tool!
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Although I find a Rotary Vise essential I don't think you have to spend $200,check out eBay as there are some good Vises which are well Priced which will do what you want,like many others I have many Vises,including An Atlas & A Dyna King.
    Brian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12