What vise do I need?

drahcirb

Reaction score
I'm just starting to get into fly tying. I am wondering what would be a good vise in the 100 to 200 dollar range. also what kind of options are essential ie bobbin holder?I seen a vise on YouTube that spun the hook. Is this a gimmick? I have a cheap vise right now that has no options and grips the hooks so poorly which makes fly tying no fun.
Thanks

williamhj

Reaction score
I like having a rotary vise. I sometimes use it to wrap materials but also find it handy for checking all sides of the fly I'm working on. It is not necessary but for 100 - 200 dollars you can get this if you want. If you have a rotary vise, it's helpful to have a bobbin rest. I have a Renzetti Traveler which I like quite a bit. It's stable and easily holds a wide range of hooks securely. They are within your budget.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Lots of really good vices out there in that price range, as William stated the Renzetti Traveler is a very good vice, I have a Peak rotary, they also make a non-rotary vice at a cheaper price point. The rotary function isn't really necessary, but it is nice to be able to quickly look at all sides or a fly or to just rotate the fly to cut material that is on the opposite side. The Peak rotary sells for around $145.
PEAK Fly Tying Vises

Larry

dakotakid

Reaction score

latshki

Reaction score
I have multiple friends who use the no name regal type vises off of ebay, 40 bucks and they work just as well, when they wear out after 5 years just get a new one
and these guys tie all classic salmon flies for the most part so they cant have a vise that slips

dakotakid

Reaction score
Even though I'm pleased with the Danvise, if I wasn't able to buy it used, I would have purchased the Anvil Apex. Apex advantages over Danvise:
A) comes with both pedestal base and clamp
B) Has more space between jaws and rotating mechanism. You can buy an extension, but then then the package costs more than the Apex.
C) lifetime warranty

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I'm just starting to get into fly tying. I am wondering what would be a good vise in the 100 to 200 dollar range. also what kind of options are essential ie bobbin holder?I seen a vise on YouTube that spun the hook. Is this a gimmick? I have a cheap vise right now that has no options and grips the hooks so poorly which makes fly tying no fun.
Thanks
Laughed out loud when I read that. "Dollars to Donuts" (you have to be 'old' to remember that one) its a 'Thompson' clamp sort of thing. Every cheap 'beginners kit' has one inside. God I hated those!

But, back on point. Take a few hooks (sizes you intend to tie) to a GOOD fly shop and try some out with the different hooks. I typically use a HMH and had to buy a second set of 'jaws.' The stock ones will hold a 6/0 4X Shark hook, but a size 12 and down? Not a chance in xxxx, real terms.:faint:

Watch the 'classifieds' here, speypages, etc., for used equipment. Not a thing wrong buying good 'second hand.' As for a full rotary? Just my .02 cents but the number of times I use that function over a years time can be counted on my finger tips. Being able to 'rotate' (not spin) IS a good thing.

That's a handy function.

plecain

Reaction score
Some of these replies made me laugh, too.

My father, a machinist, built his own vise over 60 years ago. You could have jumped up and down on it without hurting it. The bench would have broken first. Yet, he tied thousands on small flies on it.

I'm going to my mother's today. She lives in the same house. I'll have to look around for it. I'll bet it's still there somewhere.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I own a variety of vises, but currently tie on the Renzetti Traveler. I also favor the Anvil Apex. Both are solid vises and within your price range.

I just did a tying demo at a local fly shop and was chided for not using the rotary feature on my Renzetti, but I just don't feel like it saves any time or effort in my tying and I do tie a lot.

Kelly.

P.S.: There are worse "vices" than tying flies...[poke] (I just couldn't resist, sorry :D )

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I "splurged" on renzetti traveler a year ago w/clamp. I added on a catch bag, light and magnifier glass. I'm tying mostly streamers but will start smaller dries this winter. Renzetti is a great small family company right in Florida. Recently ordered the pedestal base to move around the house more. I use the rotary function now and then (mostly tying beards onto Kreelex flies) but I guess you could just take the fly out and invert it. The traveler comes with a swing arm bobbin cradle...that gets used every so often. I'm gonna also start tying some classic salmon patterns for presentation/gifts wall fodder. I'm sure the traveler will do that well too. For me, I haven't seen any reason to upgrade.

altos

Reaction score
Take hooks sized to what you will typically use and go to a good fly shop and try multiple vises. The more you try the better. Rotary is nice but, typically, not a requirement. Net/net: try many, buy one that will last.

nickel

Reaction score
Peak rotary vise is a very good vise and will grasp a wide range of hook sizes. The rotary feature I find of good necessity when you spin a dubbing loop for flies like seal buggers to hares ear nymphs. If you have a long dubbing loop to wrap on a hook shank this is where a rotary vise shines.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Peak rotary vise is a very good vise and will grasp a wide range of hook sizes. The rotary feature I find of good necessity when you spin a dubbing loop for flies like seal buggers to hares ear nymphs. If you have a long dubbing loop to wrap on a hook shank this is where a rotary vise shines.
I too am using a Peak Rotary and have been very pleased with it. If you are tying small, say 16 and below, I'd consider adding the midge jaws. They're much easier to tie small flies with. Great vise for the money with a very sturdy base.

That link dean posted is as solid of a vise review as I've seen for the more commonly used vises and a recommendation that I too steer people to when they're looking for an everyday type of vise. If you can, it's not a bad idea to go to a shop and test them out so you can see how tying on it would be. At the same time, when I chose the Peak, I had my budget set, looked at reviews, made up my mind and pulled the trigger. I have no regrets with this process. I think a vise is something we just adapt to when using it. Sometimes we put too much thought into finding the "perfect vise". Really, if it has good jaws that hold a hook well, fits your budget and has an appearance pleasing to you, it's going to be a good one.

If I were a commercial tier, or presentation tier, I might use some additional logic in purchasing a vise, but for my own personal needs that's what's important.

Last edited:
L

Liphookedau

Although I find a Rotary Vise essential I don't think you have to spend $200,check out eBay as there are some good Vises which are well Priced which will do what you want,like many others I have many Vises,including An Atlas & A Dyna King.
Brian.