Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never used one, but I'd never spend that much money for something nail clippers could do. Besides, with my luck I'd probably loose them on the first fishing trip. :D

mbchilton

Reaction score
I asked for a pair as a gift this year for Christmas. They're certainly a luxury, but they do what they're designed to do quite well. I don't imagine I'll need another pair of nippers for the rest of my life.

Reaction score
I asked for a pair as a gift this year for Christmas. They're certainly a luxury, but they do what they're designed to do quite well. I don't imagine I'll need another pair of nippers for the rest of my life.
unless you lose them, or fumble them in cold weather.

I dont use nippers, i got teeths:teef:

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
I had apprehension of buying them for myself when I saw the price tag but decided to buy them as a Christmas gift for chi because of his Abel addiction. Ironically enough, he bought me a pair that very same Christmas.

They are a luxury item for sure, there are plenty of good and cheap alternatives if you don't care to part with $50 for them. If you can swing it, I don't think you'll be disappointed with them. They're wonderful. After using them for a year or so now, they haven't dulled on me. You can put them on a zinger or lanyard and not have to worry about them. Mine are always around my neck. Blades can be replaced and the first set is replaced by Abel at no charge I believe. There are also deals that can be had when you buy an Abel reel, you can get free nippers and free line. I think one of our members recently took advantage of this and posted some photos.

Before the Abel nippers, I'd go through a few sets of nippers in a year, sometimes even one set within 10 days of fishing. Easy enough to replace and not expensive and certainly not a bad route to go. I used to use cheap polarized sunglasses for fear of damaging or losing them and wound up buying new ones every year or so. Since then, I've upgraded to a more costly pair and have had the same pair of glasses for at least 5 years with absolutely no issues. When I have good gear, I take care of it.

At the end of the day, buy what you will feel good about and stick within your budget.

L

Liphookedau

I couldn't see myself paying $50 for Nippers,are they Gold Plated?
Over The years I've seen & used many Things to Cut Line,my Teeth when I was Younger,Scissors,Pocket Knifes,Small Side Cutters,Nail Clippers,Nippers etc,however I still think The Large Size Nail Clippers with The File attached still The Best.
They are Cheap,Multi-Purpose,you can even cut your Finger & Toenails with them if you have to,I have them Pinned to one side of My Vests With A Line Straightener,Glasses & Forcepts on The Other Side.
Brian.

Jackster

Reaction score
I dont use nippers, i got teeths:thumbup:
Between the chipped teeth I've had happen to friends and that nasty bug giardia, I try my hardest not to resort to biting tippet tags off.
I bet most people would pay $50.00 not to chip a tooth or have "explosive diarrhea", vomiting or burps so foul that they are known to cause more vomiting.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia_lamblia"]Giardia lamblia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
$50 for Abel nippers (& more if they feature art work)...e gads, that is almost 5X as much as an Orvis nipper. Lets see, 5 regular nippers might last 5 even 6 years (allowing for dulling of the cutting edge not loss) but the Abel nipper lasts a lifetime with vastly superior performance and great "feel". Surely not a "must have" item any more than is an Abel reel is but attach them to your vest with a small size "Gear Keeper" brand retractor which screws on rather than having a pin that can fail and features a detachable fastex fixture so you can remove the nippers when tying leaders at a camp table.

coug

Reaction score
I have pairs of Orvis, Fishpond, and two or three others in my fishing bag but I was always buying something else thinking they must be better than what I was using at the time. Finally broke down and bought the Abels a year ago and love them. Worth every penny to me. Spent at least $50 trying others over the years and none of them come close to the Abels. My search is over.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I've had my pair for about a year now. They've held up well. I had a fishpond nipper (gave it away). It was okay but felt a little too small, and I have smaller hands. I like the heft in the Abel pair. I like the replaceable cutters (fishponds aren't I believe and their asking too much for something you can't replace).

That said, if I lost this one (thank God for zingers), I'd make do until I got another pair as a gift.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I use these. They're .39 cents.
You can sharpen them once they get dull or rusty..... I do.

Then you get new ones !

plecain

Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I use these. They're .39 cents.
You can sharpen them once they get dull or rusty..... I do.

Then you get new ones !

Me, too. Buy 'em by the dozen.
Put them in my pockets, on slingers, in the glove compartment, and anywhere else I might need one.

stuie675

Reaction score
I personally do not get why people buy nippers, nail clippers work just as well and will last just as long.

Now Abel reels, I am ordering one next week haha

tennessee dave

Reaction score
Most of the guides out west use them. Of course they may have gotten them from reps rather than buying them. Quite a few of those guys said that they wouldn't want to be without them.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Most of the guides out west use them. Of course they may have gotten them from reps rather than buying them. Quite a few of those guys said that they wouldn't want to be without them.
Dave: You're probably right about guides getting them from reps, great way to get a lot of exposure on a new product. All the guides I have ever used either used their teeth (makes me cringe when I see that) or something cheap like nail clippers.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
That's a nice tool but there's too many parts for what it does. The graphic nippers for $100 are insane. I'll take one in salmo trutta.

Status
Not open for further replies.