Fly Fishing Backpack

mattwolf

Reaction score
I am looking for a nice fishing backpack. I will be using it for overnight fly fishing trips in the mountains of Central/Northern PA. It will be used for packing my vest, waders, wading boots, rod, and maybe a change of clothes. When I am fishing I will be using to to hold my hiking boots. If possible I would also need to strap a sleeping bag on it as well. I like the Sage Typhoon backpack. I am also looking at the Simms Dry Creek Guide backpack. If anyone has any information on fly fishing backpacks please let me know.

Thank you,

jaybo41

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the type of waders, wading boots, your change of clothing and whatever else you'd want to pack but I tend to think that the majority of fly fishing exclusive packs might be on the small side compared to what you're looking for.

The Daycreek pack, while nice is not all that large. You might want to consider the guide pack but there isn't a rod holder. If I were in your position, I'd start by gathering my items and putting them in a pack that you currently own and get the dimensions you think you might need. Then look at offerings from companies like Simms, Sage, Orvis, Fishpond, etc and make yourself a spreadsheet of their offerings and dimensions. If you can't find a pack with a rod holder in the size you're looking for, consider adding one that has a shoulder strap and or a D ring, then clip it to your pack.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the type of waders, wading boots, your change of clothing and whatever else you'd want to pack but I tend to think that the majority of fly fishing exclusive packs might be on the small side compared to what you're looking for.

The Daycreek pack, while nice is not all that large. You might want to consider the guide pack but there isn't a rod holder. If I were in your position, I'd start by gathering my items and putting them in a pack that you currently own and get the dimensions you think you might need. Then look at offerings from companies like Simms, Sage, Orvis, Fishpond, etc and make yourself a spreadsheet of their offerings and dimensions. If you can't find a pack with a rod holder in the size you're looking for, consider adding one that has a shoulder strap and or a D ring, then clip it to your pack.
So true

I have one of the bigger Orvis backpacks that holds two rods, one on each side. I would be lucky to get my boots and waders in there, let alone everything else needed. My buddy users a hikers frame pack and it is more along the size needed for what you are describing.

Then again if it is for summer you could get by with a smaller pack, wet wade using something like the Simms Rip rap shoe and you would be good to go.

I hiked 3 miles last summer out of a canyon with wet waders and boots in my pack. All I can say is I'm not 18 any more.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I kind of cut my post short there, sorry about that. Avs you nailed it. Once you know the dimensions of what you're going to need in order to carry your gear, you might need to forego the fly fishing pack and go with a non fly fishing specific pack. Either with frame or without. Even the largest fly fishing specific backpack I've owned would never allow me to get wading boots and waders in there, let alone fly reel, flies, and whatever else I need for fly fishing.

williamhj

Reaction score
I got a Glacier Glove River all-in-one pack. It have a pouch for waders and separate one for boots, two spots for rod tubes, and a top part of the pack for other stuff. Waders and boots take up a lot of room there's no getting around that. But this is a nice pack.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I love my Orvis, waterproof backpack. I don't think you'll find one that will handle both waders and wading boots, that's why I bought Korkers.

Randy

stuie675

Reaction score
I use an REI lookout 40 backpack, seems to fit everything inside of it just fine. I just tie my boots to the outside of the pack and it seems to work, but I rarely am hiking without my waders and boots on.

rayzor

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use the Original Sage DXL backpack , with the DXL chestpack. I can fit my Waders in and wading Boots and the chestpack and box of Food & Drink , net and two rods in my custom rod tube or two seperate tubes either side. the chest pack then clips into the backpack when you start fishing. I use it for my days out when I go by train to Fish Streams. very comfortable too.

Last edited:

mattwolf

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&site=&source=hp&q=sage+typhoon+backpack&oq=sage&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.41l2j0i46j46l2.1974.3265.0.4406.5.4.0.1.1.0.211.536.1j2j1.4.0.les%3B..0.0...1ac.1j4.2.mobile-gws-hp.kr-dnGGPZYE#miuv=3]sage typhoon backpack - Google Search[/ame].

There is a pic of the Typhoon. I can put the waders and boots on the back.

watson

Reaction score
I am looking for a nice fishing backpack. I will be using it for overnight fly fishing trips in the mountains of Central/Northern PA. It will be used for packing my vest, waders, wading boots, rod, and maybe a change of clothes. When I am fishing I will be using to to hold my hiking boots. If possible I would also need to strap a sleeping bag on it as well. I like the Sage Typhoon backpack. I am also looking at the Simms Dry Creek Guide backpack. If anyone has any information on fly fishing backpacks please let me know.

Thank you,
Hey Matt,

I have used a number of packs over time but I have never used a fly fishing pack for backpacking!

I find it interesting that this is all you need to do an overnight backpacking trip…maybe a sleeping bag and maybe extra clothing??

I thought I roughed it but when you say perhaps a sleeping bag, no tent/bivy or tarp, no food, no way to cook food, no pad, no maps/books or navigation, maybe extra clothing and that’s just off the top of my head, now that’s roughing it.

You’re a lot more hardcore then I ever was, are you playing survivor?;)

I guess overnight backpacking is relative… 1 day or 10 days, half mile or 50 miles, packing into a yurt or sleeping in a snow cave…

Some of these items could be overlooked depending on certain factors like mentioned above, I don’t claim to know backpacking in PA but I have done my fair share here in these parts. I only imagine it sucks to have rain, no tent, no sleeping bag, no extra cloths and the combination of it all is probably pretty miserable while trying to sleep overnight.
This is a good way to put the kibosh on a well deserved week or weekend trip.:(

Anyways I guess what I am getting at is while that Simms Dry Creek Guide backpack looks pretty sweet and could very likely do the job my suggestion is to open up the options beyond the fishing aspect and get a pack that will carry what you need, while also serving your needs.

One with a detachable top pouch that works as a fanny pack is what I have used in the past so I can leave all my goods at camp and then have the fanny pack for carrying my fishing supplies, while fishing.

I don’t know all fishing packs that are out there but I’m referring to something in the 3500+ cubic inch range, which that Simms is in that ball park! Maybe there are others that have branded as “fishing” packs in that size range but I think my fishing pack is closer to 1100 CI and it’s pretty full just for a day on the river, without any camping necessities.

Packing around any large pack with or without anything in it for a full day or weekend of fishing doesn’t sound attractive to me and while your pack may be waterproof if everything else is wet that doesn’t sound very nice either.
I guess I would suggest a rain jacket while I’m at it.:rain:

You can strap rods, sleeping bags, pads or boots on just about any pack.

Take it for what it’s worth you know your situation a whole lot better than I do, but I just thought I would throw that out there in case it helps you or opens up your options. ;)
Cheers,
Watson

watson

Reaction score
This is the one i have....

William Joseph Coastal

Very comfortable and lots of room. At least for my needs.
The Coastal looks like a great pack.
I have sported the old Willy J Exodus pack for a few years now, great pack still has plenty of life to it. But they have improved their packs significantly over the past couple of years, so I have been think about picking up the Coastal.:D
I am eying the single front compartment, how has that treated you?

countr21

Reaction score
I've done many backpacking trips soley for the interest to fly fish the backcountry. And I always just use standard backpacks and I try to lighten all of my load by generally using ultra lightweight gear. Pictured are two packs that I currently use on long trips. For shorter trips and/or when I really want to lighten the load I have an REI Flash backpack that holds 4000 cu. in. and is able to carry a rod case, net, and my full fishing vest. And it only weighs in at just over three pounds. IMO you don't need a fancy overpriced "fly fishing" backpack. Embrace good standard backpacking gear and you'll be better off.

This backpack is good for longer trips that don't require waders and boots. It's an REI pack sized about 4500 cu. in. and only weighs in at 4.5 pounds.

This is the beast that I use to pack waders and boots with. It's over 5,000 cu. in. but weighs six pounds.

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello,

I really can recommend to take everything which you want to take with you on your trip into an outdoor shop. There have a look for a good backpack which can contain everything in a proper way. And this will be right one.

bo on fly

Reaction score
I too am a diabetic and need to carry extra gear on fishing trips. I used hip packs from Fishpond both large (Guide Pack to Old School model and small Orvis safe Passage). I also used a Fishpond chest pack trying to minimalize, but they were either too heavy with all my gear or too small for the diabetic necessities.

I recieved an Orvis Guide Slingpack and absolutely love it! it is roomy enough for my extras and the outside pockets easily carry two large and two medium fly boxes. It is comfortable to wear and easy to get into.

The extras like waterbottle holder and tippet carrier are fantastic additions. I can easily carry my monitors and snacks without any discomfort. I do add a small Lanyard to hold nippers, floatant, etc... I highly recommend this product.